What is the final year of the optometry (US) like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staz

Reaction score
Hi all! I was wondering if someone could help me understand what I should expect for my final year of Optometry in terms of experience and financials? I am a Canadian, going to NECO in Sept 2020.

I know that I'll have 3 clinical rotations but I want to know how I should budget for 4th year.

To get the ball rolling: What is 4th year like? What do people do with their leases? How much should I expect my living costs to be that year? Any other tips/tricks/insight?

Feel free to share information that you think might help me :)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to NECO specifically, but my experience was to keep my lease (I live with my SO) and find an Airbnb or other housing at the rotation site. Classmates kept their leases and subleased to those who would be around when they were gone. Some lived with family.
Depending on the school, you may be eligible for tuition discount when you are out of your local area, but this may not be the case for all schools.

Some rotations provide housing free or discounted, which is nice. I spent $2.4K at one place for 10 weeks (expensive area). I got lucky and my other two had free housing, so I didn't have to double-pay rent those times. No airfare for me because I could drive to the locations, but you may want to budget money for that too.
Fourth year was all clinical plus NBEO Parts 2 and 3, as well as licensing application.

I can't speak to NECO specifically, but my experience was to keep my lease (I live with my SO) and find an Airbnb or other housing at the rotation site. Classmates kept their leases and subleased to those who would be around when they were gone. Some lived with family.
Depending on the school, you may be eligible for tuition discount when you are out of your local area, but this may not be the case for all schools.

Some rotations provide housing free or discounted, which is nice. I spent $2.4K at one place for 10 weeks (expensive area). I got lucky and my other two had free housing, so I didn't have to double-pay rent those times. No airfare for me because I could drive to the locations, but you may want to budget money for that too.
Fourth year was all clinical plus NBEO Parts 2 and 3, as well as licensing application.

Awesome, thank you so much! How was the free/discounted rent made possible?

Awesome, thank you so much! How was the free/discounted rent made possible?

No problem! The free/discounted rent was determined by the site. I am sure they will let you know if any provide housing.