What is the mechanism of decrease glucose uptake by Growth Hormone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylhet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. we all know that growth hormone decreases glucose uptake in adipose tissue and skeletal muscle while on the contrary insulin increases glucose uptake in adipose tissue and skeletal muscle. I know how insulin increases glucose uptake (by increasing the number of GLUT-4 transporters). But how growth hormone decreases glucose uptake? a different or similar mechanism?:confused:

2. How exactly high levels of free fatty acid decrease the uptake of glucose in skeletal muscle and adipose tissue? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. we all know that growth hormone decreases glucose uptake in adipose tissue and skeletal muscle while on the contrary insulin increases glucose uptake in adipose tissue and skeletal muscle. I know how insulin increases glucose uptake (by increasing the number of GLUT-4 transporters). But how growth hormone decreases glucose uptake? a different or similar mechanism?:confused:

2. Growth hormone increases blood glucose level and in response insulin goes up but insulin can't work. They said high fatty acid(growth hormone increases fatty acid level and i know how) level resist the action of insulin. How exactly insulin cant work in presence of high fatty acid level?:confused:

What I heard is that growth hormone induces IGF1, which essentially antagonizes insulin at its receptor.