Jul 16, 2015
Title is super vague but I have no idea how to ask the question.

Right before match, are most people kinda banking on 2-4 programs that they auditioned, interviewed at and filling another 6-7 places they interviewed, but didn't audition? Are non-auditioned positions really viable options for mediocre people? I understand for super star DO students they may have lots of options but is that the same of the sub-500 COMLEX people doing IM? Asking for AOA match btw...

I'm just curious. I don't have the best stats or the best grades but I did well on my clinical grades and did well on my auditions. I am applying to a bunch of programs but a few have sent rejections already. Is it likely I'm going to end up only really having a shot in matching at the places I've auditioned or can I apply broadly and expect to match even at places with no auditions?

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Lots of AOA IM spots are filled by people who didn't audition. That said, in the AOA match in general, people aren't known to go far down their lists for not so competitive specialties (like IM). In most cases it's likely you'll match in the top 3-5 of your real list, unless they're really competitive programs, but even if you don't, if you have 10 places ranked, it's very likely you'll match.

Just make sure that you apply broadly with both competitive and safety programs.

NYUyankeezfan

5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey all, question. Here are some scores: USMLE Step 1 223; USMLE Step 2 CK 240; COMLEX Level 1 556; COMLEX Level 2 665. I'm planning on doing the allopathic match, BUT I'm still wondering if I should bother registering for the AOA/NMS match if I'm interseted in 2 IM programs, both of which are dual-accredited. Should I register and apply for those 2 programs in addition to the NRMP match? Thanks.