What is the minimum GPA a pre-pharm student should get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacistApril

Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m starting off my core curriculum at University at Albany for Pre-Pharmacy this fall. My goal is a 3.4 I’m trying to be realistic because some of you guys on here are blowing my mind with these 3.9's and perfect 4.0's. What is the minimum GPA a pre-pharm student should get?

Classes:

Stats-Fall
General Bio 1-Fall
General Chemistry 1-Fall
Sociology-Summer Course in Progress Now
Psychology 101-Fall

I’m also planning on joining Charles Drew Pre-Medical Club. Are pre-med clubs good for your pharmacy school applications and studying groups

Members don't see this ad.

Ofcaurse, shoot for that 4.0, because if you dont get that, maybe you'll wind up with a 3.8 :) Seriously, though, I think most schools like to see at least 3.2 and above to consider for interview. Ofcaurse, there are exceptions, I know people who got in with a 2.7 and people with a 3.9 who did not get into their first choice...so you never know. Apply to a few schools and you are bound to get at least one or two interviews. Good Luck.

PharmacistApril said:
I’m starting off my core curriculum at University at Albany for Pre-Pharmacy this fall. My goal is a 3.4 I’m trying to be realistic because some of you guys on here are blowing my mind with these 3.9's and perfect 4.0's. What is the minimum GPA a pre-pharm student should get?

Classes:

Stats-Fall
General Bio 1-Fall
General Chemistry 1-Fall
Sociology-Summer Course in Progress Now
Psychology 101-Fall

I’m also planning on joining Charles Drew Pre-Medical Club. Are pre-med clubs good for your pharmacy school applications and studying groups

JordanP said:
Ofcaurse, shoot for that 4.0, because if you dont get that, maybe you'll wind up with a 3.8 :) Seriously, though, I think most schools like to see at least 3.2 and above to consider for interview. Ofcaurse, there are exceptions, I know people who got in with a 2.7 and people with a 3.9 who did not get into their first choice...so you never know. Apply to a few schools and you are bound to get at least one or two interviews. Good Luck.

Adding to this thread, I would also concentrate on extra curricular activities that other pre-pharm students wouldn't be participating in. For instance, we have an undergrad working for us in the chemistry lab right now who will most likely get his name on several publications before he applies next year. In addition, he will definitly get an awesome letter of rec from our PI and will most likely go to UCSF (his first choice). I would also suggest joining the RED Cross or some other well known volunteer organization. It isn't that hard to get a cpr/first aid teaching credential and it definitly looks good if you're applying to a clinical focused pharmacy. And of course, you have to work as a technician and try to shadow as many people as you can during the years that you are an undergrad. My suggestion would be to try and obtain a different shadowing experience every summer if you can. Make sure and get all pertinent information for your shadows and inform them that you might call on them for a letter of rec in the future. Also, make a point of sending them christmas cards or occasional emails to make sure they don't forget about you. Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
gimpsd said:
Adding to this thread, I would also concentrate on extra curricular activities that other pre-pharm students wouldn't be participating in. For instance, we have an undergrad working for us in the chemistry lab right now who will most likely get his name on several publications before he applies next year. In addition, he will definitly get an awesome letter of rec from our PI and will most likely go to UCSF (his first choice). I would also suggest joining the RED Cross or some other well known volunteer organization. It isn't that hard to get a cpr/first aid teaching credential and it definitly looks good if you're applying to a clinical focused pharmacy. And of course, you have to work as a technician and try to shadow as many people as you can during the years that you are an undergrad. My suggestion would be to try and obtain a different shadowing experience every summer if you can. Make sure and get all pertinent information for your shadows and inform them that you might call on them for a letter of rec in the future. Also, make a point of sending them christmas cards or occasional emails to make sure they don't forget about you. Good luck. :luck:

Thanks for the advice I know my school has a five quad ambulance volunteer club I was'nt interested because I thought it was irrelevant to retail pharmacy. But since you put it that way I might I apply for that also. I currently work at a pharmacy but Im a little iffy about getting recommendation letters because I feel like they won't put in 100% because Im not a FAVORITE.

JordanP said:

Where did this person get in with a 2.7 thats not good.

they also look at where you went to school/your major....i got into 2 places (including my first choice) with a 3.0, and probably a 2.7 prepharm GPA (and this is with absolutely no pharmacy experience whatsoever).
you definitely dont need a superstar GPA to get into pharm school, although it obviously helps.

also, i'd say enjoy your undergrad, i (obviously) didn't overdo the studying, and i think it made the experience much more enjoyable, and i would still be going to the same school if i'd studying my tail off and gotten a better GPA. just to throw that out there.