What is the new tuition for the UCs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentate_gyrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor while at a UC interview that tuition and fees were going up to 25K per year for residents and 37K(?) for the out of staters. The numbers were supposed to come out a while ago, but I cannot find them.

Members don't see this ad.

They havn't been published yet. I heard a month before Arnie raised their tuitions that they were going to be charging at least 20K a year. (from the UCLA fin Aid director) Then they were raised 40%, so I think right now the cost will be 22-26K a year. I'd bet on 25.

Originally posted by Jalby
They havn't been published yet. I heard a month before Arnie raised their tuitions that they were going to be charging at least 20K a year. (from the UCLA fin Aid director) Then they were raised 40%, so I think right now the cost will be 22-26K a year. I'd bet on 25.

Eeek.

That much? I was complaining about the SUNYs being 19k next year.

I wished I lived in Texas or some state that had cheap in-state tuition...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's nice that the tuition (er..fees**) for undergraduates isn't skyrocketing though. Yes, they're increasing it, but compared to the tuition at the other top public universities in the country (University of Michigan, University of Virginia, etc), UC undergraduates are getting a sweet deal. We pay less than students at other top publics, even though our schools are ranked higher. I'm not sure if we'll be paying less after the fee hikes go into full effect though...but regardless...the UCs are still a great value for undergrad (well, Berkeley and UCLA are...dunno about the rest)

Originally posted by dentate_gyrus
I heard a rumor while at a UC interview that tuition and fees were going up to 25K per year for residents and 37K(?) for the out of staters. The numbers were supposed to come out a while ago, but I cannot find them.

If it's that much for out-of staters, it can't even compete with an average private school in terms of tuition. Ridiculous!

Here's the latest from Davis,

"This year alone, tuition rose at the UC Davis School of Medicine from $10,000 to $17,000 a year. For a school nationally recognized for excellence in training primary care physicians, the increase was necessary to continue providing a comprehensive medical education."

"Growing financial demands placed on most medical students mean tremendous debt burdens, or the choice of another career altogether. Despite historically low interest rates and federal loan programs, a UC Davis student enrolling in the class of 2007 will pay about $29,000 per year, including more than $11,000 in books, living expenses, fees and transportation. At the end of his or her training, he or she can expect to carry debt somewhere between $60,000 and $90,000, with some students owing more than $100,000. UC Davis is well below the national average in student debt for a medical education of $95,000. "

Those costs are for residents i believe. I don't know the non-resident fees, but they should be A LOT higher. Anyway, i guess we can figure out what could be the non-res fee .....aslong as we know what the resident fee's are. Before this insane economic crisis, the quarterly tuition fees for medicine was like $3500 for residents. For non-residents it was $7200. Seems for all grad/professional education fees are about twice the cost of resident fees for non-residents. Based on what is said in that blurb for the class of 2007, if it costs about $29,000/yr (roughly breaks down to $10000 for fall/wtr/spr quarters)then the non-resident fee should be $20,000/qtr. Just to be conservative, i'm betting it'll be around $40-50,000/yr for non-residents. That should throw it up to par with Harvard with its ....$45,000/yr. The number should be ok estimates.....since i guess the rule of thumb is if you are out of state, then the costs would roughly equal that of a private institution.

Anyway, overall costs (beyond tuition) probably would increase for the rest of the UC's due to rising costs in living. SF is just really expensive, and So. Cal is just expensive too:(. Before we know it, it'll be like attending a private school for us residents..hehehe. Oh well, its not like this was a surprise, knew this whole med school thing was gonna require me to sell something more than an arm and a leg..hehe. :)

That's also last years class. A lot has changed since then, so that isn't really new news. Where did you happen to get that from??

Got it from here: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/ucdavismedicine/features/pay_it_foward.html

UCD Medical Center

Actually this might be of interest to you all. The time table for at least UCD's budget. Pretty much though, we might not see something solid until July. (bad sign)

"The governor's proposed budget confirms what we anticipated - that
additional sacrifice will be required of UC and UC Davis, and of many
others who depend upon state resources.

We, and UC's many advocates, will do our best during the budget
negotiation process to minimize cuts to the university, but it's only
prudent that we begin planning now for what is reasonably likely to be our
fiscal circumstance for 2004-05.

We approached this past year's budget planning in much the same way. With
many unknowns, we created a consultative planning process that was
strategically driven and based on principles. That process and those
principles - including, for example, that cuts would be made strategically
and not across the board and that consultation would be broad and
communication open, honest and frequent - will again serve us well as we
address our short-term challenges in the context of the campus's long-term
health.

The newly adopted "UC Davis Vision: A Strategic Plan to Achieve Campus
Aspirations" will also help guide our budget decisions by confirming areas
for the wisest investment of our resources and our time.

It's too soon to estimate a range of cuts that might be required of the
campus, or to judge whether the very troubling proposed elimination of
K-12 outreach funding will be sustained in the state's final budget. While
the campus' share of UC-wide cuts is generally 15 percent, the Office of
the President hasn't yet informed the campuses how it would assign cuts
for 2004-05, or whether it would pass along the governor's proposed
mid-year unallocated cut of $15.7 million. We are advised, though, to
continue our reduction planning.

Toward that end, the Budget Planning Workgroup recently met to undertake
initial consideration of the governor's proposed budget and other such
fiscal challenges as an annual $5 million shortfall in funding for
utilities, a $100 million backlog in deferred maintenance, and lack of
funding to operate and maintain 320,000 square feet of new
state-supportable space that will come on board this year and next.

Other anticipated budget discussions and actions for the remainder of the
academic year include:

February: Budget Planning Workgroup reviews budget reduction scenarios
and options. The state's Office of the Legislative Analyst releases
analysis of governor's budget in mid-February. Council of Deans and Vice
Chancellors discusses budget process at mid-month retreat.

March: Budget call letter - including budget reduction targets, planning
assumptions and directions for preparing unit budget plans - issued to
deans, vice chancellors and vice provosts. Cross-campus information
meetings held to review and discuss planning framework. Deans, vice
chancellors and vice provosts hold budget planning meetings and
discussions. Regents consider student fee increases.

April: Campus consultation continues. Budget plans due from deans, vice
chancellors and vice provosts.

May: Governor's revised budget due mid-May. Campus's Office of Resource
Management and Planning provides analysis of budget plans to Council of
Deans and Vice Chancellors.

June: Council of Deans and Vice Chancellors holds all-day meeting to
review unit plans and to inform budget decisions.

July: Final budget decisions announced.

As soon as updated information is available, I will share it. Please check
our dedicated budget Web site (www.news.ucdavis.edu/budget/) for periodic
updates.

I know these are challenging times for our campus family, especially for
those who participate in programs facing elimination or significant
downsizing, who anticipate having to pay higher fees, who may be delayed
in their enrollment, or who will not receive a deserved increase in
salary.

But I have no doubt that we will meet this short-term challenge with
resolve and in good faith, and with the knowledge that better times are
surely ahead. Our observance soon of UC Davis' centennial is strong
testament to the intrinsic value and remarkable resilience of this campus.
I've no doubt that our second century will be even brighter than our
first."

Very good source you found there. One interesting thing is that it seems like the actual tuition won't be known until July

Very good source you found there. One interesting thing is that it seems like the actual tuition won't be known until July

It definitely won't be known until July which is when the budget is supposed to be done. But as we all know California is notorious for late budgets, so it could drag out into August. The word in Sacramento is that the amount of the hike is up to the universities but we're looking at a large increase for in-state residents, less for out-of-state residents. I think they don't want to raise the out-of-state fees too much to drive people away. I am guessing tuition will be $22000-$25000 next year in-state. If I hear anything definitive I'll post it. But I doubt we'll know for sure until later this summer.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
..the UCs are still a great value for undergrad (well, Berkeley and UCLA are...dunno about the rest)

Get off your Berkeley-high horse!

-Harps

How the hell are we supposed to choose a UC not knowing how much we will be paying?

well, if they raise fees by 40% (of this year's tuition), that would put it at around $22,000. let's hope the 40% is not on top of an already assumed increase for the next year.
although i am not an advocate of increasing undergrad tuition, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to raise professional school tuition. there are so many fewer professional school students that they have to raise tuition an enormous amount. if they raised undergrad tuition by a much smaller amount, they would come up with the same amount of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Harps
Get off your Berkeley-high horse!

-Harps

lol...sorry. Alright, ALL the UCs are a great value for undergrad education. Ya happy now?

P.S.: Congratulations on all your acceptances.

im on a berkeley high horse and proud of it :D

Originally posted by lola
although i am not an advocate of increasing undergrad tuition, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to raise professional school tuition. there are so many fewer professional school students that they have to raise tuition an enormous amount. if they raised undergrad tuition by a much smaller amount, they would come up with the same amount of money.

agreed. but it's not a good move politically to raise undergrad tuition. think about who is going to call and scream the most: parents with kids in undergrad and undergrads. professional students are older, busier with school and have less time to go out and protest over a fee raise. plus, there is the general idea in the public that it doesn't matter how much in loans future professional students have to take out, because we'll make so much $ we can pay it back. it's all about the spin that can be put on it... and it makes more political sense to hit professional students than undergrads even if they could raise more $ on undergrad tuition.

Thanks so much for all of the info. and your input, azpremed; I really appreciate it. You're our Sac representative :)

So I heard new news which I'm sure you guys don't want to hear. UCLA is supposed to be 28K a year next year. I'm surprised with how high that is, but my source is as good as you possibly could get. I was guessing 24K, but 28K for a public school is ridiculous.

So I heard new news which I'm sure you guys don't want to hear. UCLA is supposed to be 28K a year next year. I'm surprised with how high that is, but my source is as good as you possibly could get. I was guessing 24K, but 28K for a public school is ridiculous.

Not surprising now since UCD is at $28-29k too. Should be comparable across all UC campuses. The only big difference would be how much it costs for living.

:eek: from $11,000 to $28,000 in 2 years?! that should be illegal!

Well, so much for the recall and repealing the car tax increase. I would have gladly pained $1000 for my car registration. I guess there is really no incentive for going to a UC school. Damn the terminator:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

i've been thinking... if private school tuition is approximately the same, where exactly has all my tax money gone??? +pissed+

replacing all that money spent before the car tax was repealed

Lets be real California prides itself in being number one in terms of accesibility for education. For years we had the lowest tution prices. I doubt you will ever see Cali tution above 25K I seriously seriously doubt we will reach 20K. If you guys don't want to pay through the a$$ make sure you vote to pass the proposed 15 Billion dollar bond. We are the future of medicine.

Regards to this high increase in medical school tuition. Really, who cares. We all knew what we're getting into. The cost wasn't (or at least it shouldnt be) why we went into this. Its not something new that medical school tuition is high. Personally if someone decides that they want to be a doctor, then they knowing sacrifice their time, which is far more precious than money...so if they can have the courage to do that, then money is meaningless.

Now on the flip side, the poor undergrads at the UC's...man i feel bad for them. I mean relatively speaking, they're still getting a bargain, but its a lot higher than it was. I think as a freshman i paid $1200/qtr. I think they're not paying $2000/qtr (right now its about $5800/yr). But they're paying to go to one of the most prestigeous school systems in the country, so i think its worth it. Still far cheaper than going to Stanford or USC...hehe.

Originally posted by relentless11
Regards to this high increase in medical school tuition. Really, who cares.

you might if you go to a uc med school.
or you might even if you don't go to a uc med school but believe in access to education regardless of income.

If you guys don't want to pay through the a$$ make sure you vote to pass the proposed 15 Billion dollar bond.

That bond idea is ******ed. 15B is far too much money to put out in one shot. It will just put things off long enough for the governator to get re-elected then leave us in the lurch while he moves on to other things.
If you have a big deficit there is one solution. Beg Bill Clinton to be our leader. He fixed it before on a much larger scale.

Clinton was the man............But Cali still has some hope....keep hope alive

Originally posted by lola
:eek: from $11,000 to $28,000 in 2 years?! that should be illegal!

I feel sorry for you guys who are there right now. Getting an extra 50-60K in charges that you wern't expecting. At least the people applying right now know how much their education is going to cost (or at least have an idea)

I feel sorry for you guys who are there right now. Getting an extra 50-60K in charges that you wern't expecting. At least the people applying right now know how much their education is going to cost (or at least have an idea)

$28000 a year, is that for in-staters or out-of-staters? If it's for in staters, out-of-staters may end up paying more than an average private school!

Originally posted by CalBeE
$28000 a year, is that for in-staters or out-of-staters?

Californians. I know nothing of out of state tuition stuff.

Originally posted by CalBeE
$28000 a year, is that for in-staters or out-of-staters? If it's for in staters, out-of-staters may end up paying more than an average private school!

$28k is for CA-residents. The non-residents may pay as high as double that if current trends hold.

yeah... i feel the worst for people who turned down top schools just to save money. i would have gone to uci even if it cost as much as a private school (because the most important thing to me was to be in california near my friends/family) but i'm sure some of my classmates would have gone elsewhere.

and i DO think we have to vote for that stupid bond. the governor will probably cut an insane amount of money for education, health, and welfare if we don't pass it. i feel like he's threatening us, and i have no choice but to vote for it (even though i voted no on the recall and voted for cruz bustamante) :rolleyes:.

I'm voting against it. I think if it doesn't pass they will finally raise taxes and hopefully get a better revinue structure. Might hurt in the short term but I think it is better in the long term (Than paying 30 million to pay off the bond)

can someone tell me where this 28k figure is coming from? I understand that a 40% hike has been proposed...which would lead to an increase from about 15k to about 21-22 k.....wheres the extra 6 thousand dollars coming from?

Once again, let me reiterate that NO ONE really knows what the budget is going to be. A lot depends on whether the deficit bond passes. If it does not we have a whole new set of numbers to deal with and it will probably mean more cuts or a tax increase or both. All that is set right now is that Arnold has proposed cuts for UC and it is up to the UCs to figure out how they are going to deal with it. Any number that you hear being thrown around until there is a budget set this summer is speculation. It could be more, could be less. I am sure the campuses are making estimates to prepare and my guess is that is where the $28,000 at UCLA is coming from. NO ONE knows exactly right now. Once they do the budget revision in April or May (Arnold has proposed doing it earlier this year) maybe there will be a better idea. UC Davis' website has an announcement on it stating that the campus will not know until July. I suggest we all be prepared for a tuition hike, which I think really sux, but don't stress too much over it until we know for sure what it is.
Just my $.02...

http://www.news.ucdavis.edu/budget/provost_2.4.04.html

Originally posted by somekevinguy
can someone tell me where this 28k figure is coming from? I understand that a 40% hike has been proposed...which would lead to an increase from about 15k to about 21-22 k.....wheres the extra 6 thousand dollars coming from?

Because they were already planning fee increases before the 40% hike. I heard 20K back in January before the 40% hike, and I'm kind of surprised that I got a 28K (exactly the 40%) when I heard new information recently.