1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the oxidation state of Au & C in AuC?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by FROGGBUSTER, Jul 31, 2011.

1. FROGGBUSTER

2+ Year Member

So in the electrolysis of AuC, Kaplan says the half reaction for Au is:

Au+ + e- --> Au.

This means the oxidation state of the Au in AuC is +1 and the oxidation state of the C is -1.

I woulda thought it would be +4 & -4 though. Why is it +1 & -1?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HannibalLecter

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Well for Carbon there is like a golden rule: you don't know the oxidation state of carbon by itself because it can vary so much from like +2 in CO to CH4: +4. So we have to go by what the oxidation state of gold is usually which is +1 because only needs one to fulfill its completeness of its d orbitals. So go off how many electrons Gold has to lose and I think you should be set.

And even if you have -4 for carbon and +4 for gold, metals always lose I don't think I have ever seen a metal gain electrons so forget about a negative oxidation state on a metal anywhere because metals are a sea of electrons remember so they want to lose electrons. And +4 doesn't work for gold because if you lose 4 electrons you are actually causing more of an entropy change than if you were to just lose one electron as in the +! oxidation state.