You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What is the pass rate for the Rad Onc oral board exam?
Started by peach12
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi everyone,
Do we have any data on the pass rate for the Rad Onc oral board exam?
Good studying and good luck
Get Certified in Radiation Oncology (RO)
Didn't realize the 2022 numbers were out. Interesting how they've been able to keep the pass rate relatively tight compared to the writtens. I'm sure that's got nothing to do with the ABR and everything to do with the "declining quality of resident" [insert PRO citation here].
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Non first time test takers got smoked in '22 with 33% pass rate.
Gonna be interesting to see what pass rates are in 2026+ considering standards to match in these daysNon first time test takers got smoked in '22 with 33% pass rate.
![]()
Curious what the proportion is between conditioned 1-2 sections vs. outright fail (3+ sections)... and would be good to publish which programs have issues (batched 5 year periods or something like that so individuals are not obvious).
Gonna be interesting to see what pass rates are in 2026+ considering standards to match in these days
The standards conform to the applicants not the other way around
RO oral boards 2027?:The standards conform to the applicants not the other way around
RO oral boards 2027?:
![]()
Precisely. They have a set of applicants and they have to fill the slots. Caliber doesn’t matter when you’re desperate
I remember a couple of former residents who definitely reminded me of.. Not Sure.
Because suprise suprise...the examiner isn't blinded to the previous failure.Non first time test takers got smoked in '22 with 33% pass rate.
![]()
Definitely a uphill battle for repeat test takers.
In the old old days.. the examiners (who hated each other) would fail each other's candidates. Or, conversely, if they disliked a certain resident could call in a 'hit' job.
It happened.. and the scumbags who do this kind of stuff never faced any real repercussions. Well, one did.. never got that chairmanship they craved so badly...
It happened.. and the scumbags who do this kind of stuff never faced any real repercussions. Well, one did.. never got that chairmanship they craved so badly...
I've heard SO MANY stories around this. I'm not sure when it finally faded away, I would guess mid-to-late 2000s.In the old old days.. the examiners (who hated each other) would fail each other's candidates. Or, conversely, if they disliked a certain resident could call in a 'hit' job.
It happened.. and the scumbags who do this kind of stuff never faced any real repercussions. Well, one did.. never got that chairmanship they craved so badly...
The majority of my examiners were actually pretty chill, even helpful. Two of them were...characters. One guy I'm pretty sure did the classic move where he knew he'd pass me in the first 5 minutes, so then he just started throwing wild scenarios out to see what I would say. Obviously I can't go into detail or the ABR will send SWAT to my office, but he managed to get a borderline "SDN-rant post" out of me, and I saw him chuckle once or twice.
The other dude...what a weirdo. Absolutely bizarre experience. Not actively malignant/aggressive but...so weird.
I wish I could share my story, but alas.. lets just say karma paid many many dividends.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NBPAS beckons... if your hospital will take it. But its not much cheaper than ABR, but at least no stupid quiz questions.
NBPAS beckons... if your hospital will take it. But its not much cheaper than ABR, but at least no stupid quiz questions.
It's a very interesting thought, I should ask about that. Haha, I never noticed, but ABR is more money than many board fees. The joy of Rad Onc.
If you join this and drop the ABR, can you join the ABR again later if needed for a job?
Our supply and demand environment makes it really hard to do things outside the mainstream.
Check the hospital system you are at and see if you are able to do it with them.
I don't know what happens if you 'drop' ABR recert requirements. That's how they keep us by the short hairs - fear.
I don't know what happens if you 'drop' ABR recert requirements. That's how they keep us by the short hairs - fear.
i think i know who you are talking about. sad that you can tell so link a person to a 2 line anonymous sdn postIn the old old days.. the examiners (who hated each other) would fail each other's candidates. Or, conversely, if they disliked a certain resident could call in a 'hit' job.
It happened.. and the scumbags who do this kind of stuff never faced any real repercussions. Well, one did.. never got that chairmanship they craved so badly...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 116
- Views
- 13K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 6K