1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What is there for content review?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by drunkentwitch1, Sep 12, 2018.

1. drunkentwitch1

Everywhere I look everyone talks about dat bootcamp, dat destroyer, and chads videos. Is there a book that just focuses on content review? I don't know how to study watching videos and answering questions I haven't seen in years. I open the dat destroyer to any page and I just stare blankly at the page because I haven't taken general chemistry in so long, is there a book I can read through like the MCAT's kaplan or something similar were I can review all the content without going straight into questions? If so, what's a good reputable book?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AppalachianDentalBoy

AppalachianDentalBoy SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Dental
    Destroyer is not a good way to teach yourself material. Bootcamp has biology notes which is basically a textbook at this point and is quite helpful. Watch the videos and take notes on them just like you'd watch your professor and take notes on the lecture. If you don't understand something pause and rewatch it or search google for a text based explanation of the subject.

4. orgoman22

orgoman22 DAT DESTROYER
    Lifetime Donor Sponsor Exhibitor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I agree the DAT Destroyer is for students that have a good foundation. Don't worry we work with many students that are non-traditional and have not taken the courses in years.

Your best bet might be to go back to the textbooks you used for GC and Orgo and start building a foundation.

Nancy

5. drunkentwitch1

Thanks for the reply. I have dat destroyer and chads videos at the moment but my problem is I don’t do well watching videos and taking notes as a main study source. I prefer reading a textbook and using videos to supplement my learning.
    I don’t have any textbooks from any of my classes, can you recommend an alternative? Are kaplans or Princeton books any good?

6. orgoman22

orgoman22 DAT DESTROYER
    Lifetime Donor Sponsor Exhibitor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Feel free to send me a private message.

7. ToxicFrog

I'm using Khan Academy to review the content and it's super useful (and free!). A lot of people say Chad's video is good too but i prefer Khan's academy

8. Hnl7

I had to do content review from scratch as well. My breakdown should give you a good idea on how to start from scratch.

DAT Retake Breakdown 2017

I started with barrons AP bio to get a baseline knowledge. It is an easier book than cliffs and will give you a general understanding.

I then went to cliffs AP bio to fill in the gaps. Make sure you are actively reading so you understand the chapter. Also, do the quizzes at the end and at the very least read the essay answer.

It may help to do a search for retake breakdowns and see what worked for others who were in a similar situation.

Please be aware that there are new study materials out that can help you that are not covered in my breakdown.

Gl and study hard!