what is ur Text book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srabiei

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I like to know the main text book for residency of otolaryngology.
I read "Cumming's otolaryngology" all of 5 vol, s. and so Essential or otolaryngology, and Dewees & sandesrs.
again for surgery we used : Montgomery ( H&N surgery ) and Tardy Rhinoplasty and so Shambaugh Ear surgey.

what about Ur Text book?
tnx in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Essentially the same for me.

I personally liked Bailey better than Cummings because Cummings is just too much trees instead of forest. Bailey I find readable. The other thing I think Cummings lacks is opinion. They tend to site study after study without drawing conclusions as to what is the best option.

I think the best Atlas I've used is actually the Journal: Operative Techniques in OtoHNS. But since that is often hard to get a hold of for a decent price, my favorite atlas is Lore and Medina for day to day stuff. Really well done.

For boards, I basically memorized KJ Lee and added in tons of written notes in the margins. I found that by doing that I was more than adequately prepared for written and orals. You do have to supplement KJ quite a bit and there are some overtly wrong things in there, but the latest edition is sig better than prev ones.

I like Baker's book for nasal reconstruction in addition to the rhinoplasty text you mentioned. Larrabbee's book on facial flaps is a bible for the boards. I like Coker and Jenkins otologic surgical atlas the most--but then again the latter was my chairman.

Beyond that I like reviewing emedicine.com, the big 3 journals, and occassionally other things like radiology/laryngology specialty books.

I've sort of divided up my references for different activities.

When I was at home reading texts, I read the Bailey textbook during my first and second years. For main text now, I read Cummings. When I want more specific reading, I'm usually reading from Coker's Atlas of Otologic Surgery or Glasscock's Surgery of the Ear for Otology (occasionally chapters from Jackler's Neurotology). For Head and Neck, it's Jatin Shah's book or the Silver/Ferlito book on Surgery For Cancer of the Larynx. For radiology, it's Valvasonni's Imaging of the Head and Neck. For rhinology: the Kennedy book and Simmen's Manual of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. For laryngology, well I just read Cummings. I have Meyer for operative technique.

For those times when I have a little down time while in the hospital, I read eMedicine or the UTMB Dr. Quinn grand rounds.

For board review, KJ Lee and the Lange Current Diagnosis and Treatment in Otolaryngology.

Have Cummings and Baileys, but mainly look through the journals (Annals, Laryngoscope, and the white journal) these days.

For Boards, I am reviewing the newer Pasha and Pearls of Wisdom. KJ is just too incomplete for me.

For an atlas, used Coker's atlas for ears, Meyer's or Lore's for H&N. I have Meyer's, but really think that there is no great atlas out there. Lore's is a little dated in places (esp the nasal section).