What is wrong with me?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SO...I am so frustrated with the Chemistry portion of the PCAT. I've taken the PCAT once already and I did fine in everything except Chemistry. I got an 11% in Chemistry. It's ridiculous and I've been taking practice tests and the highest I've gotten is a 30-50 range on the practice test for chemistry.

What is the best way to study for chemistry. It's not that I'm bad at chemistry. I got an A both semesters for general chemistry and I just got a 100% on my organic exam last week!

PLEASE! I don't know why I'm doing so bad on the PCAT Chemistry. Give me hints, tips, and what I need to do to study so I can do decent on the October exam. It's my last try!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

When I see people doing well on exams in class and getting A's, but it doesn't correlate to the PCAT scores, I'd like to ask if you actually understand the material very well. Do you just cram for the tests and not fully comprehend the material? Are the chemistry classes you are taking just really easy at your school?

Onedayiwill, I am in the same situation. I do well in my classes but did horrible in my PCAT. Maybe we're just not made for standardized tests? I had the same problem with my SATs.

When I see people doing well on exams in class and getting A's, but it doesn't correlate to the PCAT scores, I'd like to ask if you actually understand the material very well. Do you just cram for the tests and not fully comprehend the material? Are the chemistry classes you are taking just really easy at your school?

I do understand the material. At my school it would be impossible to do well in the class without understanding the material. The exams are given to test your knowledge in application and not just memorizing. I feel like a lot of what I don't understand is general chemistry. Maybe just because it's been a while since I took it and I'm so immersed in Organic right now. And I feel like I can't really blame it on standardized test issues, I mean for the ACT I got a 31 so obviously it can't be that. I don't know I'm just so frustrated and I'm so nervous for next saturday i'm going crazy studying my butt off but I want to make sure I'm going about this RIGHT! I just need tips on what I should concentrate on in studying for the chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
im sort of in a similar situation except i bummed my biology and had in the 80s for my chemistry, but yea i used the kaplan for chemistry, got the exam crackers mcat for the organic part of it and of course my old class notes as well.

Are you just now preparing for the October test? It really takes much more than a week to get ready.... I was pretty much done studying by a week before the test.

I used materials like Cliffs Notes reviews, Organic Chemistry for Dummies, and the AP Chemistry review in order to prepare. I read through the reviews, taking notes, and took any practice questions I could find, whether they were officially PCAT questions or not. Then I looked at the ones I missed or guessed on and took notes on the answers. After I took all my notes I kept going through the notebook highlighting stuff I didn't know, then reading it again and rewriting stuff again until it stuck in my head.

I'd also suggest timing yourself - my biggest obstacle was time.