Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What is wrong with this letter?!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by laboholic, Nov 28, 2005.

1. laboholic

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have sent this letter or a letter similar to 3 osteopathic physicians in the past 3 weeks trying to get a shadowing experience. Maybe there is something wrong with it because none of them will get back to me. I called the office of one of them 2 times and they said that the doctor was aware of my letter... but they still havent contacted me. It would be nice if they would at least have their secretary tell me that they are too busy. Can anyone tell me if there is something wrong with the letter? Im frustrated :confused:

this one was to an oncologist:

My name is X and I am a 2005 X graduate. Currently, I am doing research on X at the University of X and have developed a special interest in oncology. I am writing you this letter because of my concurrent interest in osteopathic medicine. This summer I began the medical school application process and initially applied to only allopathic schools. In the process of applying I was introduced to osteopathy. Since then I have done a great deal of research into osteopathic medicine and it has become very appealing to me. I have already submitted applications and reference letters to X University, Y University, and Z University. I am interviewing at X University in December. Unfortunately, I have not yet had the opportunity to shadow an osteopathic physician in practice. Undoubtedly, you are very busy in your practice but I was hoping that there may be a time in which you would allow me to watch you in your daily routine and give me some insight into the osteopathic profession. I know that cancer is a very emotional diagnosis for your patients, so if you feel that this would be inappropriate please let me know. Otherwise, I would be extremely grateful if we could discuss this further. You may contact me by phone or email as your schedule permits:

email:
    phone:

Thank you for your time.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cdreed

cdreed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There's nothing inherently wrong with your letter.

The docs are probably just extremely busy. I would suggest contacting either the AOA or the osteopathic organization in your home state. They' should be able to connect you with a doc who's willing to be a preceptor/mentor.

Good luck in your quest.

Cyndi

4. Sundarban1

Sundarban1 Devil in disguise
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    this one was to an oncologist:

My name is X and I am a 2005 X graduate. Currently, I am doing research on X at the University of X and have developed a special interest in oncology. I am writing you this letter because of my concurrent interest in osteopathic medicine.

This year I am applying for admission to medical school. As you may know most all ostopathic medical schools require a letter of reccomendation from an osteopthic physician. Unfortunately, I have not yet had the opportunity to shadow an osteopathic physician in practice. Undoubtedly, you are very busy in your practice but I was hoping that there may be a time in which you would allow me to watch you in your daily routine and give me some insight into the osteopathic profession.

I would be extremely grateful if we could discuss this further. You may contact me by phone or email as your schedule permits:

email:
    phone:

Thank you for your time.

5. RD330

RD330 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I totally agree that they're probably really busy. Your letter is very well written and I think that if you dont' hear anything soon you should use the same letter for someone else. Maybe a different specialty (family prac., internal, pedi) would be easier for a pre-med student to shadow (less liability worries for the doc.) Good luck! :)

6. Taus

Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with the above post, in that you shouldn't just limit yourself to Oncology here if your sole goal is to get some quick shadowing experience. You will have plenty of time to get to your specific interests once in med school. Any DO will work and you may find that you get to see more things that are inherantly Osteopathic (ie OMM) if you shadow FP or IM. Teaching hospitals were extremely receptive of my shadowing requests and may be worth a call, as they already have students there doing rotations and it was a great experience. Good luck.

7. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I highly recommend this. Find out if any hospitals nearby take DMU students for rotations.

8. laboholic

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thanks for the responses, the first two were just private practice internists and the last one i sent the letter to was an oncologist. I just thought it would be cool to shadow an oncologist because he/she could give me better insight into specializing and what not.

Anyway, i just got the name of an internist at my state university from a friend who said he helped her out. Hopefully he gets back to me,! My interview is in 2 weeks and I would like to have shadowed someone :)

9. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Someone posted the website below and had some success. So did I:
    http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/Mentor_exchange.htm