What is wrong???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cystapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive had 3Ds about 10Cs and 1F. Also about 5 Ws. What are my chances of Pharmacy school? My last 70 credits is 3.76. Science GPA is 3.0 but last within last 70 units is 3.5. No degree. all community college. I've been rejected about 10 times already without interviews. Am I doomed????? I don';t' know wghat to do. Im so sad.

Members don't see this ad.

I don';t' know wghat to do. Im so sad.

Maybe it's just a bad luck streak. What extra curricular activities have you tried? I read in another thread that pharmacy experience, especially being a pharm tech really helps. Don't give up, maybe you can try to get 100 on the pcat?...and don't forget to show me how you did it afterwards.

get upper 90s on the PCAT and apply to lots of less competitive schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
ive had 3Ds about 10Cs and 1F. Also about 5 Ws. What are my chances of Pharmacy school? My last 70 credits is 3.76. Science GPA is 3.0 but last within last 70 units is 3.5. No degree. all community college. I've been rejected about 10 times already without interviews. Am I doomed????? I don';t' know wghat to do. Im so sad.

How many units do you have altogether? With those grades but a 3.0 science, what's your cumulative? I'd imagine lower than 3.0 only because those D's and F's had to go somewhere and it doesn't appear to be in science. While the science GPA will carry a greater weight with ADCOMs they do want a complete student. This is why they have minimum cumulative GPAs as well as minimum science GPAs at several schools. This may be what's holding you down. Without knowing more all I could really do is speculate.

oh no way can i get 100 on the pcat. or even 90 for that matter. I studied so hard but the best I can get is like 78. Plus my vocab and reading skills suck so I'll never score high on those either. I am a certified Pharm Tech with only a few months experience. I joined a few clubs at school and have had a year of inpatient pharm experience.

How many units do you have altogether? With those grades but a 3.0 science, what's your cumulative? I'd imagine lower than 3.0 only because those D's and F's had to go somewhere and it doesn't appear to be in science. While the science GPA will carry a greater weight with ADCOMs they do want a complete student. This is why they have minimum cumulative GPAs as well as minimum science GPAs at several schools. This may be what's holding you down. Without knowing more all I could really do is speculate.

with all those grades my cumulative according to pharmcas is 3.08. well yeah some of the C's were from science.

Don't be sad. It's not the end of the world. You can still get in to pharmacy school, but you will need to do some work. Repeat all or most of those classes you got C's and D's in. Your GPA is not bad. Try to do better on the PCAT. Get more pharmacy experience. Finish your bachelor's because that should help. Work on your personal statement. And just have faith and tell yourself that next time is the charm.

rather than taking care of all your C's and D's, I say you should worry first about your D's and F's. Re-take those and then worry about some of your C's later. Technically, I don't believe PCAT is a cramming test. Maybe you should let up on the studying and let it flow when you take the test (do you rush when taking it? If so, work on your time management when taking test). Try pcatprofessor.com and see if that helps. Like bigdogc and OrganicPharmer1 said, apply to less competitive schools and GET A BACHELOR'S.

Nevermind, already answered my question.

actually I have 7 Cs and not 10 like I said earlier. And I have already retaken the Ds and Fs and made As in some and Bs in some. My GPA won't budge cuz i hasve over 120 and something units.

:)
actually I have 7 Cs and not 10 like I said earlier. And I have already retaken the Ds and Fs and made As in some and Bs in some. My GPA won't budge cuz i hasve over 100 and something units.

Before you embark on a dark path.........you need a sense of direction. First, you need to contact the pharmacy schools that rejected you and have them counsel you on what were the main reasons they turned you down and what they recommend you do to improve your status in their frame of mind.

Second, read my first paragraph.

Not to be out-of-line, but I do not recommend you do anything else before you contact each and everyone of those schools - you paid them for their rejection letters....they owe you a reasonable response. Then, and only then you can better plan your strategy and feel confident when you reapply.

I am sure you will agree. gluck. :luck: :)

:)

Before you embark on a dark path.........you need a sense of direction. First, you need to contact the pharmacy schools that rejected you and have them counsel you on what were the main reasons they turned you down and what they recommend you do to improve your status in their frame of mind.

Second, read my first paragraph.

Not to be out-of-line, but I do not recommend you do anything else before you contact each and everyone of those schools - you paid them for their rejection letters....they owe you a reasonable response. Then, and only then you can better plan your strategy and feel confident when you reapply.

I am sure you will agree. gluck. :luck: :)

I contacted some schools and they simply told me that there were an exeptionally large pool of applicants this year and many of them were more qualified than i am. One school (Boston,MA) told me they can't tell me exactly why I was not given an interview. They just told me the status of the successful applicants and what they had......ie. taken all courses at university level, had GPAs higher than 3.5, and no repeats, everything of which I didnt have. :(

But thanks.......I have yet to email all the schools that rejected me. I have a feeling they will just tell me the same thing.

I just want an interview......all that money I spent.....I feel like they are just taking my money and is spending it somewhere on an island sipping margarita while im at home in misery of an unclear future. :(

I contacted some schools and they simply told me that there were an exeptionally large pool of applicants this year and many of them were more qualified than i am. One school (Boston,MA) told me they can't tell me exactly why I was not given an interview. They just told me the status of the successful applicants and what they had......ie. taken all courses at university level, had GPAs higher than 3.5, and no repeats, everything of which I didnt have. :(

But thanks.......I have yet to email all the schools that rejected me. I have a feeling they will just tell me the same thing.

I just want an interview......all that money I spent.....I feel like they are just taking my money and is spending it somewhere on an island sipping margarita while im at home in misery of an unclear future. :(

Yeah, that information isn't exactly what you're looking for. You can't easily change any of it. You can't unrepeat, you certainly don't want to retake all your CC units at 4-year. It sounds like it may be time to start looking at getting a Bachelors. It'll get you on the University level (what they seem to be looking for) it'll increase your overall number of units and provided you do well it'll improve your GPA. The only problem is that it's time consuming. I certainly feel for you there. I've been at it a long time already and went for the BS without applying beforehand. It worked out for me, but I certainly didn't enjoy the ride.

Some schools a 3.05 would be sufficient, but I don't know what other things you'd need to do. LORs, ECs, and experience can help set you apart, as well as a decent PCAT, but if you don't feel you can do well on the PCAT, increasing your GPA by taking extra courses seems to be the other alternative.

Actually, your numbers can be competitive, if you invest the right amount of time in your application and really demonstrate through your extracurriculars that you have what it takes to 1) be successful in their program academically and 2) to be a good pharmacist. I'll tell you your GPA is way better than mine was. It sounds like you've done a lot of work to really boost your GPA and demonstrate academic proficiency. I would recommend focusing on your extracurriculars and your PCAT score. You've done your work for your GPA. At this point, if you elect to take courses (and you should if you have time), it will be more to demonstrate that you can remain consistent in achieving good grades more so than your GPA number. That number's not going to change by much, but don't worry about that.

What will really make your application stand out at this point is your personal statement as well as your letters of recommendation. If you can retake the PCAT and score amazingly well, then go for it. If not, then don't worry about it. Your PCAT score is fine (could be better given your GPA), but it will be good enough for a less competitive school. Try to target LORs which really demonstrate your character and your qualifications. That means generic letters written by your professors aren't going to cut it. I had three different letters: 1) my research professor 2) my work supervisor and 3) my seminar class professor. Thankfully, I received copies of all three to read, and you can tell there's a difference between those letters and generics that professors churn out during crunch time. If you need help with requesting a LOR, let me know. I'll be glad to help you prep a packet for it.

Finally, think positive as you apply. Believe it or not, the way you think during the application will reflect itself in your essay. If you are positive, you'll generally write more positively. Your scores are good enough to meet the minimum qualifications for consideration for many schools. Go get 'em with your extracurriculars and your presentation =) Good luck and feel free to send a PM if you would like some help =)

To put things in perspective, I had a 2.65 GPA and a PCAT composite of 99. I'll be a P1 at the University of Maryland. I also repeated about 5 classes, had plenty of Cs, a few Ds, and even an F. I also received interviews to Howard and Oklahoma. So don't think it's impossible =)

to how many schools were u accepted?

to how many schools were u accepted?

Well I out of the 5 schools I applied to, I completed four apps, got three interview offers (which I only went to two), and declined the other applications once Maryland accepted me. So, I can't really say...but I had a shot at 3? But no point in going for the others if my top choice offers me an acceptance right off the bat.

The real goal of applying should be targeting those interviews. If you get an interview, anything can happen, especially if you do stellar during the interview. When I talked to adcoms from a variety of professional schools, they all said that your application only provides a threshold from which they pick interview candidates. Once you're there, it's an almost new blank slate (with notable exceptions for really good applications) where you have to impress them. Once you get to the interview, for the most part, your application doesn't matter any more in terms of determining acceptance because they've deemed you qualified for admittance. Of course, if you do average on your interview, then they'll probably go back and review your entire file.