What is WVU like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will WVU affect the attitudes of future patients?

• Yes, people will view WVU negatively

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • NO, people don't care

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters

jdj37

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
WVU?

I was wondering what everyone thought of West Virginia University. I liked the school but every time I mention West Virginia, people laugh and think of toothless hicks. Will going to WVU affect my future dental practice, ability to specialize, or even influence the attitudes of my future patients? Do people really care?

Any help would be appreciated.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I am not sure where my dentist had his education.
Though I know it is not from the US and he has been a pretty successful dentist in CA for quite some time. So I guess it doesnt matter much where you had your education as long as you could pass the board.

I've asked this question of dentists in the past, and all agreed that patients never care about their dentist's alma mater. Heck, they don't even care about the dentist's own personal academic performance (GPA, class rank, etc.), so the question of school reputation is that much more irrelevant in their eyes.

Besides, even if the general public were interested in dental school reputations they wouldn't know the first thing about them. People generally associate a school's name with its undergrad program. For instance, I'm sure most patients would be more impressed by a degree from Harvard than one from a clinical school like Temple. I hardly think that's a good reason for a prospective dental student to choose Harvard over Temple if they're interested in becoming a GP.

Bottom line: You'll be fine with WVU. Getting your license is all that matters.

I had thought the same but just needed a second opinion. Its a great school in the "number one small city" in America.