What is your app's biggest weakness?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by vandsocc91889, Aug 9, 2011.

?

What is your app's biggest weakness?

1. MCAT

21 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. GPA

24 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Clinical Experience

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Other ECs (volunteering, research exp, etc)

21 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Personal Statement

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Secondaries

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Interview Skills

9 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. vandsocc91889

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I'm mostly just curious about what people perceive to be the biggest weakness in their application.

For me I think its the secondary essays. I don't consider myself a great writer and I've had a hard time getting them up to par with what I think is the expectation. With the PS it wasn't such a big deal because I had a lot of time to work on it and have lots and lots of people read it.

2. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My science GPA + clinical experience

3. me too but mine is lower

4. Bumbl3b33

Removed

Medical Student
    I have a feeling this thread is going to make me really angry with kids with 3.6+ saying they have low GPAs and 'low MCATs' of 35s

5. SexyDoctor

Removed

Pre-Medical
    Research experience. I write like a mofo, have a perfect GPA, can interview circles around people, and I haven't taken my MCAT so I can't say, but I have absolutely no research and probably will only have about a year's worth.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Protip: you often overestimate the severity of your weaknesses and the greatness of your strengths.

Thought I'd inject that before people get all down on themselves.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. OP
    OP
    vandsocc91889

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    :thumbup:

8. Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

To be fair, the question was what their "greatest weakness" was, so it may be that their app is outstanding aside from a 3.6 GPA (or 35 MCAT). A 3.6 GPA is not a great GPA by any means. It can work and you can still get in places, but it will limit your choices at quite a few schools.

Personally, I have pretty weak clinical experience :(

9. Kekeirda

MDApps:
    Everything!!!! :scared:

10. circulus vitios

7+ Year Member

Probably my ECs. I'll have shadowing and volunteering (50-100 hours each) and work. I don't do clubs.

11. robbieflick

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Research

12. TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Mine is research. I have a bit of it, but nothing like these SDNers who have been doing research for eight hundred years and have six first-author pubs in Science.

13. yangxx2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    MCAT. We'll see what happens today around 3-4PM...

14. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Gooood luck! :luck:

15. Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Eh me neither. I tried it Freshman year and just hated it.

16. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think people overestimate how much research they need to be competitive for medical school. Just start early in a lab, be diligent when you go to lab and stay in the lab for a while (> 1 semester). That's all you really need to do... the rest of the stuff (pubs/posters/presentations) will happen depending on your luck.

17. TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Well, my problem was that I hated working in the lab. I just dreaded going every day. So I did it for a semester, and couldn't take it any more. I wasn't going to do something I hated just to put it on my application. I only listed it on AMCAS so that if it comes up, I can explain that lab research really wasn't my thing but I at least tried it. I did do a summer of policy research that I enjoyed, so I can speak more positively about that if asked.

18. FattySlug

7+ Year Member

Agreed. Having publication for most people is about being in the right lab at the right time.
    My weakness would be the fact I took the MCAT 3 times, 2 of those with 8 in VR section.

19. n3xa

n3xa "the anchor"
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    ACCORDING TO WHATYOUSAY IM JUST OLD :( THATS WHY MY POST CONTAINS LOUD NOISES

On a serious note, my verbal score. I also have a difficult time mustering up sympathy for unmotivated colleagues in pre-med land, which is fortunately completely different from how I interact with clients as a HIV counselor/tester.

#19 n3xa, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  20. garrett24

2+ Year Member

I chose other because I have had some personal medical problems that caused me to withdraw from multiple classes. I know it is an uphill battle with withdrawals, but I plan to work my butt off during application season for next year when I will be submitting my application.

I've worked hard to graduate from high school and college with a good GPA, so I plan to do nothing but my best. I am going to follow the MCAT study plan that is posted on here and have already purchased some of the books, but I have two classes left until graduation in December so I will not focus on studying for the MCAT until after I graduate. I plan on taking it in either March or April.

I do have clinical experience and did an independent study with a Family Medicine Physician last year where I was able to get lots of hands on experience and I was a pharmacy technician for 4 years, so I hope those experiences will help me out with my application. Plus I have a rough draft of my personal statement, but I know it needs to be refined.

GOOD LUCK to everyone applying this application season! I hope to see lots of acceptances on here! :D