What is your biggest qualm about med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brotherbloat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondered what other non-trads biggest qualm about med school is. For me it's 2 things:

1. Fear of blood-borne pathogens
2. The 8 years of not having a life.

Members don't see this ad.

brotherbloat said:
Just wondered what other non-trads biggest qualm about med school is. For me it's 2 things:

1. Fear of blood-borne pathogens
2. The 8 years of not having a life.

I think the risk of Blood-Borne Pathogens is rather small even in medical school because not a lot of doctors handle blood and blood products. The biggest risk is with Surgeons becuase of all the cutting on the body they do.

As for the 8 years with no life, you'll have friends in medical school and you'll get to do stuff with them. I think most schools give you the summer off between MS1 & MS2 so you should have 10 + weeks to do whatever you want.

1. The emotional distance between the med student and his/her spouse.
2. The manic nature of practicing medicine: the highs of saving lives can be very high; the lows of having to witness bad stuff (esp. when you can't do anything about it) can be very low. But, it's a calling, in a way--for people who feel they can do nothing else in their lives.

Members don't see this ad :)
My biggest thing is actually getting into a MD or DO school. All the classes you have to take and then there's the MCAT. It's just so competative and I'm not that competative of a person.

My biggest qualm is probably the time investment. But I am holding firm to the belief that it is possible to be a med student/resident and have a life. Many on this board are living proof! :)

My biggest qualm is that I'll wish I had stayed in chemistry. It sounds crazy, right, because I am working so hard to get out of a career in chemistry. :laugh: But in all seriousness, I would have to say it's the fear of the unknown. No matter how much shadowing, reading, working, volunteering, or introspecting you do, you won't really know how you feel about medical school and medicine until you actually get there. It's a huge risk to go to medical school as an older student, as opposed to staying with the "known" of your current career, because you actually have something to lose (and less ability to make up for lost time if you realize that you've made a mistake by going to medical school.) That's true even for those of you who absolutely hate your current careers, and even more so for those of us who actually like our current careers but are looking for something more. I fear the uncertain. That is the worst aspect of this whole process in my opinion.

QofQuimica said:
My biggest qualm is that I'll wish I had stayed in chemistry. It sounds crazy, right, because I am working so hard to get out of a career in chemistry. :laugh: But in all seriousness, I would have to say it's the fear of the unknown. No matter how much shadowing, reading, working, volunteering, or introspecting you do, you won't really know how you feel about medical school and medicine until you actually get there. It's a huge risk to go to medical school as an older student, as opposed to staying with the "known" of your current career, because you actually have something to lose (and less ability to make up for lost time if you realize that you've made a mistake by going to medical school.) That's true even for those of you who absolutely hate your current careers, and even more so for those of us who actually like our current careers but are looking for something more. I fear the uncertain. That is the worst aspect of this whole process in my opinion.

I agree - i actually like my current job and that makes this so much harder! But just feel like I will always regret not pursuing this "dream". My biggest fear is squeezing in time for all my loved ones and balancing significant other/kids/parents/brothers/sisters with medicine. I'm also afraid that this may create a distance (both physical and emotional) between my boyfriend and I which may be unsurmountable.

It's amazing how so many of us are following our hearts inspite of all our fears. They say the more difficult the undertaking, the sweeter the rewards. Let's hope they're right!

Hi there,
I had no qualms about medical school. I had a great time and went to a great school. It was awesome and I have the best job in the world.

As for blood bourne illnesses: I treated my first HIV patient in 1981. I have been a Medical Technologist, Pediatric Critical Care Respiratory Therapist and now I am a surgeon handling blood and body fluids all the time. I also underwent surgery were I received more than 50 units of PRBCs before blood was tested for HIV or hepatitis. I don't have HIV, Hepatitis or even CMV(only 10% of the US population is CMV-). The bottom line is that I handle blood, blood products and "sharp pointy things" very carefully.

njbmd :D

My biggest qualm would be the massive investment of time. I don't want to be one of those guys who only lives and breathes medical school. I'd like to keep my outside interests strong. I realize that many are able to do so but for me it will be real work to remain balanced.

I have anxieties about being a single woman in my mid-to-late thirties by the time I start med school.

thirdunity said:
I have anxieties about being a single woman in my mid-to-late thirties by the time I start med school.

Girl, from what you've been saying about your ex, it sounds like you're a lot better off single! :p I know what you mean, though. I felt like I was the only one among my circle of friends who didn't get married, although I did get engaged twice. (I'm also the only one who's still in school, but that's another topic altogether. :rolleyes: ) But you know something funny? I'm at a point now where my students are getting married (one invited me to his wedding this summer) and all of my friends who got married in their early twenties are getting divorced. So I don't think that it's going to be all that unusual to go to medical school as a 30-odd-year-old single woman. I'll be in the same boat myself. :love:

Ten years ago, I didn't go to medical school because of a guy....and now that I am single, I am finally going to go. End of story.

You'll be a single woman in your mid-to-late thirties even if you don't go to med school...

Maybe not single by then. Women that age are hot...

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Members don't see this ad :)
rpkall said:
1. The emotional distance between the med student and his/her spouse.
2. The manic nature of practicing medicine: the highs of saving lives can be very high; the lows of having to witness bad stuff (esp. when you can't do anything about it) can be very low. But, it's a calling, in a way--for people who feel they can do nothing else in their lives.

You don't save that many lives in medical school. I have saved exactly zero in four years. In fact, while medicine is pretty interesting and you will never regret leaving your old career to pursue it, most of the things you will do in medical school will be fairly mundane. Take putting in a central line. The first couple of times you do it it is pretty exciting but then it just becomes an interesting technical chore.

Likewise, most of your patients are going to be fairly normal with the usual collection of pathology relevant to the particular service on which you are rotating. I diagnosed (or discovered, actually) one case of ovarian cancer on OB-Gyn but did about a hundered routine anual exams. I'm not complaining, you understand, but I just don't want you folks who have not yet decided to take the plunge to worry about whether you can handle the hectic pace. It can be hectic but it is a routine sort of hectic.

On another note, no doubt there are some rotations where you will spend most of the day at the hospital and only come home long enough to shower (hopefully) and grab some sleep. This can be difficult for a married couple, particulary if they are newlyweds. On the other hand a lot of rotations are like regular nine-to-five jobs.

I think if a marriage is structurally unsound medical school will absolutely make things worse if only because it will give the spouse some room to imagine her life without you. If you have a strong marriage then I wouldn't worry about it. Residency, especially in one of the Surgical specialties, will be a lot harder then medical school in regards to marriage.

thirdunity said:

QofQuimica said:
Girl, from what you've been saying about your ex, it sounds like you're a lot better off single! :p I know what you mean, though. I felt like I was the only one among my circle of friends who didn't get married, although I did get engaged twice. (I'm also the only one who's still in school, but that's another topic altogether. :rolleyes: ) But you know something funny? I'm at a point now where my students are getting married (one invited me to his wedding this summer) and all of my friends who got married in their early twenties are getting divorced. So I don't think that it's going to be all that unusual to go to medical school as a 30-odd-year-old single woman. I'll be in the same boat myself. :love:

Ten years ago, I didn't go to medical school because of a guy....and now that I am single, I am finally going to go. End of story.

Yup..... This is me too!

Speaking from the married with a family side of the fence, I can say that I was terrified that my family would forget who I was, that they'd flounder without me, etc. etc. Finally a friend who's a practicing doc yelled at me: "You're not going off to join the Foreign Legion! It's just school fercrissake!"

He was right. There were more and less demanding times but for the most part, I still got to do the stuff I wanted to do. I remained in touch with family and friends - not as much as before, and often not as much as I'd like to, but enough that I didn't become a stranger to anyone.

Now, if I'd been single moving to a different place, I think I'd have a lot of anxiety because I probably would just sink into studying and not have much of a life. But! Schools generally have various programs you can get involved in - I'm sure had I not had other outside activities to spend time on, I would've volunteered at free clinics and other activities that were widely publicized. I probably also would've gotten involved in local politics and church activities in hopes of meeting other folks. THERE IS TIME TO DO THIS IN MED SCHOOL if you budget your time wisely.

Not only is it possible to "have a life" in med school but you should definitely make it a goal. I am sure I felt way more sane because I had lots of other things in my life besides med school.

It's also actually been true during my intern year BTW.... though I will sure be glad to see it end in 67 days not that I'm counting! :laugh:

mamadoc said:
Speaking from the married with a family side of the fence, I can say that I was terrified that my family would forget who I was, that they'd flounder without me, etc. etc. Finally a friend who's a practicing doc yelled at me: "You're not going off to join the Foreign Legion! It's just school fercrissake!"

So true. I went into medical school expecting the worst and was pleasantly suprised at how benign it was compared to my expectations. Now, truthfully, I wish I had studied a little harder because I had to scramble into a specialty that was not my first choice but even if I had studied twice as hard I would still have had time, four or five months of third year and a couple of months of second year excepted, to spend a lot of time with my family. You just have to know how to budget your time.

Our school had reduced lecture hours which almost always left enough time in the regular work day to do the bulk of studying. Even at schools that are completely traditional as far as lecture hours many people selectivly skip some (or all) lectures because it is usually more productive to study than to sit in a lecture.

If you want to know what not to do if you want to match in a competative specialty, PM me. I'm still a little bitter about it (but not that much because I did manage to scramble into Family Medicine at Duke of all places) so I don't want to come across as petty and vindictive on such a public forum.

thirdunity said:

Yo thirdunity,
I'll be 34-ish when I graduate. I love it, no problems here. Are you concerned about the biological clock? I just dunno what else there is to be concerned about, really (I don't want kids, necessarily so maybe I don't have the same issues). I find the men actally get MORE interesting the older I get.

What's lame about med school? Just the uptight people, but these can be found everywhere.

DebDynamite said:
Yo thirdunity,
I'll be 34-ish when I graduate. I love it, no problems here. Are you concerned about the biological clock? I just dunno what else there is to be concerned about, really (I don't want kids, necessarily so maybe I don't have the same issues). I find the men actally get MORE interesting the older I get.

What's lame about med school? Just the uptight people, but these can be found everywhere.

I'm 31 and just getting ready to transfer to 4-year! So I'll be in my late thirties by the time I finish school altogether.

I don't really want kids. So I'm not too worried about *that*. There's just a part of me that worries about there being anyone "left" if I'm still single by a certain age. I find myself wondering if people in their thirties and fourties are going to want to date someone who is still a student. And I don't want to deal with dating very much while in school. I find dating and the single scene really distracting. At the same time, I'm a healthy red-blooded woman in her thirties and want to experience that part of life!

That said, I'm bi, I don't know how all that's going to play out as a single, given I'll be meeting more conservative professional type of singles than ever before (before settling on pre-med, I mostly hung out with/dated bohemian artist types), but then again I otherwise appear/act very mainstream and live a relatively quiet life...

Panda Bear said:
If you want to know what not to do if you want to match in a competative specialty, PM me. I'm still a little bitter about it (but not that much because I did manage to scramble into Family Medicine at Duke of all places) so I don't want to come across as petty and vindictive on such a public forum.

I got a few PMs so what the hell.

1. Get good grades. My grades weren't bad. Neither were my Step scores but higher grades mean more interviews.

2. Read your letters of recomendation. This sounds obvious but at my school they strictly enforce the ERAS rule that you can't see the letters. Just ask the letter writer for an unofficial copy. Apparently, one of my letters was pretty weak. Not bad per se but so lukewarm that the writer damned me with faint praise.

This was certainly his perogative (although why write a letter for somebody if you're going to screw them over?) but it should also be your perogative to not use the letter.

3. On the same topic, make an effort on the pertinent rotations to work often with your potential letter writers. On my EM rotations I only worked a few times with every attending so they didn't have a solid knowledge of me.

4. Don't let geography dictate your applications. This is where I'm going to sound bitter and petty so I apologize.

My inlaws promised to relocate to the city where I matched. This was pretty important to my wife so naturally it was important to me. Unfortunantly, since they are elderly, they stipulated that that they didn't want to move anywhere with severe winters. This immediatly excluded almost two thirds of the EM programs including several which did not fill this year including Iowa and SUNY Upstate (if I remember correctly). Idiot me, I went along and only applied to 25 programs of which eight invited me to interviews. One (my own school) was obviously a courtesy interview so I was left with seven interviews with an only average application for a competative specialty.

In truth, I don't care about weather. And while you may be picky before you fail to match, I would have rather matched at the worst, most podunk, climatologically challenged EM program then been forced to scramble into a specialty which I had not seriously considered.

Oh, and my inlaws have decided not to move to Durham with us. Ironic, huh?

5. Have a plan for not matching which I did not. Sure, I had a vague idea that I would do familiy medicine or internal medicine but this is not enough. You have to decide early if you want to do a preliminary year somewhere and try again in a year. The time between monday when you find out and Tuesday when you scramble is not the time to decide because if you don't have a plan you will be in a panic mode. (Which I was.)

6. On scramble day, look at the list of open programs in your specialty and immediatly (at 10 minutes to noon when it is legal) add them all to your ERAS "Applied to Programs." There is no charge for this on scramble day and almost every program you call, when you finally get through to them, will ask you to do this. (My school provides us with a designated "faxer" who faxes our CV and etc. to programs that want it all faxed.)

This way, they might even look at it before you call (or not) but at least you are ahead of the eight ball, not behind it. Things move quickly on scramble day.

7. But not that quickly. While the non-competative programs might be desperate to sign anybody, the competative programs know that they will get somebody so they might take a little more time to look at more than one applicant. Have several call out there. Keep calling if the line is busy. Have your wife, husband, significant other, or friends help you make calls.

I'm a little embarrassed to tell you all this because I did everything wrong on scramble day. Maybe I wouldn't have scrambled into one of the few open EM spots but I didn't really give it a good try. Instead I got sidetracked talking to Duke and when they offered me a spot I had the "any port in a storm" mentality. I could have said "can you give me thirty minutes?" or "I'll call you right back" and made a last minute appeal to one of the open EM programs.

I think Duke knew this because they didn't want me to hang up. (Which is flattering, actually).

Disclaimer: I have been up to Duke and met my new colleagues and I have talked to a lot of Family Medicine people here at LSU and (other than some lingering bitterness which anybody who is not used to failure will understand) I am really enthusiastic for the program and look forward to starting in July. Family Medicine is a great specialty, even if the pay is not as good as EM, and is versatile enough where I might actually end up working in an Emergency Room as it will be a long, long, time before there are enough board certified EM docs to staff every emergency room in the United States.

thirdunity said:
I'm 31 and just getting ready to transfer to 4-year! So I'll be in my late thirties by the time I finish school altogether.

I don't really want kids. So I'm not too worried about *that*. There's just a part of me that worries about there being anyone "left" if I'm still single by a certain age. I find myself wondering if people in their thirties and fourties are going to want to date someone who is still a student. And I don't want to deal with dating very much while in school. I find dating and the single scene really distracting. At the same time, I'm a healthy red-blooded woman in her thirties and want to experience that part of life!

That said, I'm bi, I don't know how all that's going to play out as a single, given I'll be meeting more conservative professional type of singles than ever before (before settling on pre-med, I mostly hung out with/dated bohemian artist types), but then again I otherwise appear/act very mainstream and live a relatively quiet life...

My 2 cents would be to volley for med school in an urban area. As far as the "no one left" theory, I dunno about that. I may be too "young" to give you an honest opinion (I have a hard time staying single, look (and sometimes act) younger than I am, etc...), but I can state what I've experienced along these lines. There are plenty of "good catches" left if you have the right attitude about it. Some are still single & busy, some are divorced, etc. That said, the "problems" you hear from other women exist for a reason. Some guys can't accept the concept that their SO will make more $$, some only see the $$ (I was naive about this). Even if you are a student, some see your "future" earning potential & get big eyes. Yuck. But the positive side to that is that you quickly learn their value system and you aren't going for those types anyway.

As far as the Boheme angle, my prediction is that your "problem" will be more of a feeling of not *quite* fitting into either scene anymore. When your artsy friends are all 'chillin at the coffee house and you have six hours yet of studying to do, well.... they can actually irritate you a tad. Or just make you kinda sad. My dear friend had an opening the other night, everyone went out afterwards but guess who. It's not as if you TOTALLY loose your "old" life, really. But you will have to make many more concessions than before.

One thing "in your favor" may be the bi angle (larger market so to speak). Few women care if their SO has a larger income. Just be aware that your tolerance for (regardless of gender) a partner who plays all day being artsy is probably gonna shrink considerably (not that I am in ANY way conceeding LADoc is right- I'm not talking money here, just how hard they work, etc....).

Panda Bear said:
\

Disclaimer: I have been up to Duke and met my new colleagues and I have talked to a lot of Family Medicine people here at LSU and (other than some lingering bitterness which anybody who is not used to failure will understand) I am really enthusiastic for the program and look forward to starting in July. Family Medicine is a great specialty, even if the pay is not as good as EM, and is versatile enough where I might actually end up working in an Emergency Room as it will be a long, long, time before there are enough board certified EM docs to staff every emergency room in the United States.

Panda Bear,
You have an awesome attitude for someone who had their world flipped around. I appreciate your sharing this story. We only had one who didn't match at our school this year- hell bent on gas & didn't get it. I had no idea that the scramble was so intense when the offers come down the line.

I do know of a FP doc in NC who apparently is making BIG bankroll with a ton of NP's & PA's under his wing. The guy has a great eye for business. If you are interested in something like that (in the future), PM me and I can dig up his name, he's about 3-4 hrs from Duke.

Panda Bear,

Wow thanks for the info.
Inlaws, GRRR!

With your great attitude though, you'll probably pull down big bucks even in FP!

Along with what Panda Bear mentioned make sure that YOU KNOW everything about the application process pre-med and then residency! this cannot be emphasized enough...start now! while it is early. I am a first year medical student soon to be second year yeahhh! and some folks think I am nuts for reading Iserson how to get into the residency of your choice book, starting to weight different options, getting to know some of the program directors so they can guide me along as far as board scores, lor, ec, research,etc...and just getting to know HOW the whole match process works. I have always been super anal and OCD about KNOWING all the details of the path I am embarking on waaaay ahead of my time to apply or whatnot. This has proven very beneficial to me and medical school application was a breeze (time wise and getting my stuff together wise), and hopefully residency will not be this obscure WTF? for me when the time comes. Again the more you know the more empowered you get and nobody can do this better than YOU! do not let anyone guide you "completely" through the way, help is good but arm yourself with your OWN knowledge.

DebDynamite said:
My 2 cents would be to volley for med school in an urban area.

Yep. And I grew up "on the wrong side of the tracks", too, so a diverse, urban environment is actually more comfortable for me than a sheltered rich-kid type of environment.

DebDynamite said:
That said, the "problems" you hear from other women exist for a reason. Some guys can't accept the concept that their SO will make more $$, some only see the $$ (I was naive about this). Even if you are a student, some see your "future" earning potential & get big eyes. Yuck. But the positive side to that is that you quickly learn their value system and you aren't going for those types anyway.

I haven't had enough experience in the professional social set to really notice the tendency of guys not to want women who are more successful. In my old group, it was more that guys would tend to be *opportunistic* about it if they met a woman who made more money.

DebDynamite said:
As far as the Boheme angle, my prediction is that your "problem" will be more of a feeling of not *quite* fitting into either scene anymore.

Yep.

I don't quite fit into either place. On the one hand, I've left the old group more or less behind. They were some strange amalgam of science-fiction fans, Rennaissance Faire/SCA types, Goths, gamers, and Bohemians. I'm still friends with many of them, but the distance has grown more and more, as in order to "hang" with any one of them, I have to be in their games - and they *all* go to the same games. I'm not into gaming anymore. I'd rather be out there changing the world than sitting at a table for hours pretending I'm changing the world.

On the other hand, yeah, there's the "fitting in with boring professional types" issue. I still draw, write science fiction and listen to every kind of music. This is what my other post some time ago was about - about whether or not people like me ever fit into the world of medicine, given there is a common image of doctors as being "professional" types with the standard Middle American right-wing type of hobbies and interests. But as I get to know more people here, and in the medical world, it seems like there are all kinds of doctors from all walks of life. And I imagine myself writing better science fiction and imagine that medicine and life experience will inform my writing more than hanging around a bunch of Star Trek and Ren-Faire geeks will.

DebDynamite said:
When your artsy friends are all 'chillin at the coffee house and you have six hours yet of studying to do, well.... they can actually irritate you a tad. Or just make you kinda sad.

Yeah. The thing about it making me sad. There's also the snob-factor. I can't help but find myself thinking... "it takes you just as much effort to create these characters for these games, and to do all the research to run these games, as it takes me to study and really *become* an important person who makes a difference in the *real world*."

Just the fact of differing physical activity levels and sleeping habits, has forced a wedge; none of them ever seem to be awake before noon, which drives me crazy. If any of them come to my house, they immediately want to see what's on TV - on my off time, I can't *stand* to be indoors when the sun is out. These people also complain a Whole Lot about everything.

DebDynamite said:
My dear friend had an opening the other night, everyone went out afterwards but guess who. It's not as if you TOTALLY loose your "old" life, really. But you will have to make many more concessions than before.

Yep. I still see some of my friends, but I'm not in the games at all, not at all anymore.

DebDynamite said:
One thing "in your favor" may be the bi angle (larger market so to speak). Few women care if their SO has a larger income. Just be aware that your tolerance for (regardless of gender) a partner who plays all day being artsy is probably gonna shrink considerably (not that I am in ANY way conceeding LADoc is right- I'm not talking money here, just how hard they work, etc....).

I actually had a terrible time meeting women before I got married, but I was in a different life-place then. Had no direction in life at the time, was living with my mom, et cetera. I think I would not have the same trouble now.

I would like to meet someone who has a *balanced* personality though... I had all these years to build a personality that didn't revolve around growing up to become a doctor. I really notice that many professional types seem really one-dimensional to me - at least as one dimensional as the "artsy" types. I bet I'd get along with another non-trad professional or future professional very well.

Then, in terms of meeting someone who's actually *balanced*, I will probably have better luck with women than with men... given I don't meet very many men *in general* who are very balanced/have a variety of interests/broad perspective.

Hello all

Well I'll be hitting the BIG THREE OOH (30) next week even though I still look young (25). Earlier in my life I had imagined I would have finished med school by now and be practicing. But events in life are never as you plan. As much as I don't want to waste anymore time before I go to med school (applying this year for 2006) I am not really caught up in the age issue. I have one of two options. I either grow old and go to med school or grow old and don't go to med school. Either way I'm gonna grow old. My only real qualms perhaps is time to have a family. I refuse to be a "babe daddy". That means I gotta get married, settle down and the whole nine. Im not sure how to fit all that in with almost 11 years of schooling (im interested in Orthopedics). I also don't want to be so much older than my kids. So if you see me adopt 15 year olds you'll know why - lol just kidding. Those are the issues that cross my mind from time to time.

My biggest fear is that 10 years from now, when I finally enter practice, medicine will have become socialized and my life will be controlled by Hillary Clinton.

thirdunity said:

Hi there,
You are going to find all types of people in medical school from conservative to bohemian-artists. The profession just attracts diverse types. Even in my specialty, surgery, I have encountered a wide variety of types of people. There is generally more people who are interested in dating you than you have time for. It just works out that way. You WILL have time for dating and a social life if you want these things. At my school, we had loads of social stuff and plenty of interaction with the students at other professional schools: law, dentistry and engineering. You just won't suffer from lack of opportunity to meet people and interact. You do not have to subvert your personality or your sense of being an individual to do medicine. Once you make the adjustment to the coursework load, you generally find that you will have time for most things. What you do learn very quickly, is that you don't like having your time wasted. ;)

Cheers!
njbmd :)

i am 30 and have always really wanted kids. i am worried about being an old-and-tired parent, possible age-related infertility, being torn between work & family life, etc.

also i am wondering: should i be picking the urban school over the rural if i want to have a "grownup" life that doesn't totally revolve around med school?

I should have enrolled right after graduating, or given myself only one year off, instead of wasting time second guessing myself and then having to wait 8 more months just so i could take the mcat and apply, after I finally decided what I'm gonna do.

blah

Trismegistus4 said:
My biggest fear is that 10 years from now, when I finally enter practice, medicine will have become socialized and my life will be controlled by Hillary Clinton.

:laugh: I wouldn't worry about this....running Hillary in '08 is the surest thing the Dems can do to guarantee four more years of Republican hegemony. :smuggrin: