What is your dream job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Biology

The Nerdiest Super Hero
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the wrong section the other day by accident and it got locked.

Like everyone else here I am striving to be a doctor, but what is your dream specialty? For me it is Infectious Disease, Pathology, or Internal Medicine. Also, what is your next step if you cant get into medical school (don't say keep applying)? Mine is to get a Masters degree in Genetics, then go on to get a Ph.D. In Cell Biology and teach at a university.

Members don't see this ad.

MD/JD degree and be the person that fixes the healthcare system

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
philanthropist.

it involves being unbelievably wealthy while giving out bags of money to others and getting medical schools, buildings, parks, non-profit organizations, etc named after you.

Part time diagnostic radiologist, full time owner of a large chain of imaging centers.

I would want to be Dr. James Andrews, performing Tommy John surgeries on MLB pitchers and having box seats at every baseball stadium as well as doing ACL surgeries on running backs and, invariably, Derrick Rose a few times.

Assuming you're not serious, but I swear the MD/JD program I looked at only required the MCAT?
I took the LSAT and applied (and was thankfully accepted) to law school before deciding to apply to medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the LSAT and applied (and was thankfully accepted) to law school before deciding to apply to medical school.

Ah, I see.

Also, I just checked degree requirements and the MD/JD program I was looking at the time now requires you take the MCAT AND LSAT. Interesting...

Surgeon General.

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic physician. Would really love to teach medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Physician who wins the lottery.

Reactions: 6 users
Academic orthopedic surgeon. And I'll work to educate the public on prevention methods for the injuries I treat.
If I lose my mind, I'll do neurosurgery.
If I end up totally hating life- vascular surgery.

I really want to be an academic physician as well. I am extremely interested in research, teaching, and patient care... I've been told that I will have to choose two because it's impossible to have time for all three, but I don't really want to make my mind up about that part yet. I just know that I've really enjoyed my research experiences thus far, that I absolutely LOVE teaching, and that I'm beyond excited to have the opportunity to treat patients and practice medicine.

As far as specialty, I'm trying so hard to keep an open mind and not decide before I even apply, but I am very very interested in oncology (and hematology too!). Probably pediatric. Though radiation oncology is certainly intriguing too. I guess if I had to choose RIGHT NOW, I'd say that I'd want to be a pediatric oncologist/hematologist in an academic setting.

Subsistence farmer. But that job is just not feasible in this day and age.

philanthropist.

tumblr_l3v1evM74g1qc9uw9o1_500.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Clinical/Molecular Geneticist at a major research institute.

10th-13th man on an NBA team seems like the best job ever. No real expectations, travel around, play maybe 5 minutes/night, make $1mil+/year, go to clubs and tell chicks you play in the NBA.

10th-13th man on an NBA team seems like the best job ever. No real expectations, travel around, play maybe 5 minutes/night, make $1mil+/year, go to clubs and tell chicks you play in the NBA.
If I were blessed with non-superstar NBA talent, I'd be the guy spotting up in the corner for the 3 and make $6 mil a year.

Neurosurgery! Specializing in spine :) if I don't match and/or have personal goals that conflict with the time commitment probably an internist of some sort.
If I really can't get into medicine I'll start my own business, but then again I'm working on that in undergrad so who knows :)

Pediatric-something at a great hospital. In my spare time involved in local politics and local theater.

If I don't get into medicine...no honest idea. I love science but hate labs. I am smart but poor so I don't see Wall Street connections. I love politics but am a bit too honest to try to play with the big boys.

upload_2014-5-21_1-38-56.jpeg

Edit: All seriousness, I love to work. It's the most important reason I'm going into medicine. My dream job is whichever medical specialty provides me the opportunity to get stuff done.

Reactions: 2 users
Sports medicine, love soccer, would love to work in a top club in europe.

Reactions: 4 users
Pediatric intensivist-anesthesiologist. It's especially cool to me now that the pediatric-anes combined residency is going full force ahead!
Would like to work in a major children's hospital and be on the clinical faculty route. Would love to teach/do administrative work but I don't think research is for me.

Primary care physician and hospital administration. Then, when I retire as a practitioner, teach med students/undergrads.

Neurosurgery! Specializing in spine :) if I don't match and/or have personal goals that conflict with the time commitment probably an internist of some sort.
If I really can't get into medicine I'll start my own business, but then again I'm working on that in undergrad so who knows :)
If I absolutely knew I wanted to be a spine surgeon, I'd do neurosurgery as well. They can actually operate on intramedullary spine tumors. I don't think orthopods operate on those tumors.

A rural psychiatrist or neurologist with leadership rolls in some non profits and a professional animal rights organization. I would love to teach a class at a college and be involved in secondary education.

Dream, dream job? Science or medical officer aboard a Sovereign Class starship.

I want to be that old timey doctor that gets called to the house when little tommy or Suzy gets sick. I just see it playing out in my head.

Mother: little Johnny's got a fever of 105 Pa, he hasn't got out of bed for 2 days!
Dad: well I reckon we should go ahead and call doc
(That's my cue)
image.jpg

Jk..(kind of)

I want to run my own brewery or distillery. Maybe open up a burger joint. "Mad Jack's Burger Shack" perhaps. Oh, and I'd really love to own a hostel, maybe in Brazil or China, something to give back to the backpacker community. And I definitely want to run a real estate rental business at some point, so I can get some real passive income and play some IRL monopoly.

I'd be happy in most any specialty, but no one career is enough to satisfy all my dreams, not even medicine. My preferred type of practice would be doing locums for life. Traveling, seeing the country, meeting new people, and having some freedom to take time off between assignments to focus on pet projects- to me, that's the life.

My dream specialty would have to be surgery, hands down.

My dream job would have to be this ^.

I want to run my own brewery or distillery. Maybe open up a burger joint. "Mad Jack's Burger Shack" perhaps. Oh, and I'd really love to own a hostel, maybe in Brazil or China, something to give back to the backpacker community. And I definitely want to run a real estate rental business at some point, so I can get some real passive income and play some IRL monopoly.

I'd be happy in most any specialty, but no one career is enough to satisfy all my dreams, not even medicine. My preferred type of practice would be doing locums for life. Traveling, seeing the country, meeting new people, and having some freedom to take time off between assignments to focus on pet projects- to me, that's the life.

That sounds amazing.

Seriously tho, child and adolescent psychiatrist. I'd like to work private practice with my dad and on the side do work in the LGBT community, specifically with teens. I'd also love to do some speaking gigs aimed at teens about mental/sexual health. And eventually write a book.

And buy an awesome cabin home. :p

Probably continue my career as a chemical engineer. Maybe get a PhD and teach at a university, eventually.

On a related note, would it be possible to teach undergrad classes as well with only MD?
Yup, one of the A&P professors here has an MD.

And for me, I'd want to teach undergrad/med school full time with an MD.

My dream would be to work on prosthetic limbs, Especially the challenge of integrating them with the human nervous system.

What kind of doctor would I be?

iopwrm.jpg

But in seriousness, I'm fairly confident I'll wanna do something surgical, and I am really interested in ortho.

And if I was barred from being a doctor, I'd really enjoy being a touring DJ.

Reactions: 1 users
What kind of doctor would I be?

iopwrm.jpg

But in seriousness, I'm fairly confident I'll wanna do something surgical, and I am really interested in ortho.

And if I was barred from being a doctor, I'd really enjoy being a touring DJ.

4th Dr. >>>>> all others.

Back on topic though, pulm/ccm (interventional pulm seems interesting) or adult psych.