What is your major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I want to do Optometry, what do I have to major in? What have you guys majored in?
I'm chem major, but don't want to do it if it won't help me get in.

Members don't see this ad.

r123 said:
If I want to do Optometry, what do I have to major in? What have you guys majored in?
I'm chem major, but don't want to do it if it won't help me get in.

You can be any major as long as you take all the classes required for optometry school. When I went to Berkeley's open house, they said one of their students was an opera major or something. There have been many literature majors. So it doesn't matter...as long as you also take the pre-optometry classes.

If you just want to take pre-optometry classes...I'd recommend my major, which at UCSD is biochemistry (emphasis in cell biology, since we also have a biochemistry with emphasis in chemistry). All the Berkeley pre-reqs could be used to satisfy the electives and/or required classes in my major. The only pre-req class that couldn't be used for my major was psychology.

Hope that helps...do what you like to do...do chemistry if you like chemistry! I love my major, especially the microbiology classes I took, so I definitely chose the right major for me. =) But it'd be kinda boring if my whole class at optometry school were all biochemistry majors. I look forward to meeting music majors and computer engineering majors (kinda doubt that though)...cuz those are some things I like. =)