What is your major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your major?

• Biology

Votes: 95 33.1%
  • Chemistry

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Physics

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Math

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • Engineering

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Psych/Sociology

Votes: 24 8.4%
  • Languages

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Business

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 88 30.7%

• Total voters

Ninjaboy

Taneuma
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how diverse the majors of SDNers are. If you don't also explain the pros/cons you think your major has given you in the application process.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Ninjaboy
If you don't also explain the pros/cons you think your major has given you in the application process.

What I meant to say was, If you don't mind, also explain...

Hey maybe UMich should have me write the emails they send out to interviewees. They wouldn't even have to invest in the voice recognition software.

intl studies major

Members don't see this ad :)
psych major.

i feel psychology can be applied to all functions of life.. i definitely plan to use elements of it in patient care. (not in bad ways mind you)

Dood, you forgot about Biochemistry!

Philosophy major/psych minor

BS Neuroscience

Originally posted by keptium

I thought about putting Biochem in there, but then decided that you guys could put it under Bio or other or whatever you want. I knew that there would be comments about forgetting certain majors, but what can you do when you're limited to a certain number of choices. Sorry.

I'm an English major....
wanted to get as far away as possible from my science classes....

Bio Major, English minor

Originally posted by keptium

That's my major too.

math rules!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my username explains my major ;)

Can't think of a minor though. I'm debating over philosophy, psychology, and english, though it all seems to be pointing to philosophy at the moment (the university medical ethics professor is a philosophy professor).

I love Bio! :love:
:clap:

Way more interesting to me than Chemistry or Physics and I notice that tons of the Biochem Pre-meds work way harder than the Bio pre-meds at my school. They just don't seem to know how to have fun! :p

Originally posted by mws99
At first I thought, if I were Superman, a perfect secret identity would be "Clark Kent, Dentist," because you could save money on tooth X-rays. But then I thought, if a patient said, "How's my back tooth?" and you just looked at it with your X-ray vision and said, "Oh it's okay," then the patient would probably say, "Aren't you going to take an X-ray, stupid?" and you'd say, "Aw f*ck you, get outta here," and then he probably wouldn't even pay his bill.

:laugh: :laugh:

Biochemistry???

Microbiology & Philosophy

Bah non of those are on the list.

I will be graduating with a doctorate in pharmacy this May. I am not sure how it has helped in the application process, although I did here a rumor that drugs are prescribed in medicine.:laugh:

Human Biology with an area of concentration in women's health and gender issues.

interdisciplinary major here:clap:

I'm math, too. I don't know that it's helped or hurt me in the process. But it was fun and easy and I hated my freshman bio lab with a fiery passion.

Biochemistry, may minor in Materials Science.

I was a finance major. At least I won't have to hire someone else to tell me how to run my practice!!!

Biology and chemistry double major, I also chose other. :)

I'm a second year bio major.

Physiology & History (Double Major) - Took me 5 years to finish.:clap:

Biology for now....math minor.

im a Finance major. I agree this day and age business is an asset. Every interview i have been on, they have commented on how more Doctors who know finance are needed due to how medicine and the system has become> Plus it was unique and not many do it. Im hoping it helps me!

Cognitive Science (neuroscience emphasis) major here... I get the best of all worlds. Philosophy, psychology, linguistics, computer science (which I wish right now I weren't getting the best of) and, of course, neuroscience. My major kicks a$$. And, it makes me look well-rounded in the way that a diet of coke and twinkies would... :D

Nanon

B.S. in Biology and currently getting an M.S. in Biology.............talk about variety!

Jetson

Molecular & Cell Bio with an emphasis in neuro.

Why neuro? Because it's still the wild wild west of bio. Plenty left to explore. It's pertinent to every other science field: psychology, physics (those ion channels are just like resistors), immuno (neuroAIDS) just to name a few. It questions the very basis of conciousness and existence. Do we have free will? How much do we have? Or is it all just chemicals predetermined by genes?

But the biggest reason I'm an MCB major is that I want to be the most knowledgeable doctor I can be. I think a understanding of the fundamentals of biology is essential.

And neuro is just darn fascinating. Who wouldn't want to know the mechanism of TTx or morphine withdrawal? Last reason: I want to do some research as a MD, but I would probably do basic science research, not clinical research, so a degree in Neuro definitely helps with that.

BananaSplit

Physiological Sciences Major and Education Minor; loved my major because it was so interesting although admitted tough at times.... :)

The few.

The proud.

The slightly psychotic.

The mathamaticians and engineers.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL MATHAMATICIANS AND ENGINEERS!

was a bio major, now an epidemiology major (MPH)

Originally posted by SunnyS81
The few.

The proud.

The slightly psychotic.

The mathamaticians and engineers.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL MATHAMATICIANS AND ENGINEERS!

woo-hoo. mathematicians rock b/c we don't have to spell things correctly! go sunny! ;)

started out bio and music performance double major, maybe minor in english or sport science.

graduate 2001 with biology major and chem minor. really wish i had a music minor instead of that pesky chemistry. i loved orgo and biochem, but hated the rest of chemistry...tirtrations ::shudder::

Originally posted by pocwana
woo-hoo. mathematicians rock b/c we don't have to spell things correctly! go sunny! ;)

hey-- bio majors don't have to spell correctly, either!! making fun of my own post (see above). i promise i do know how to spell titrations. see, eye speled it write this thyme. hehehe

I notice that tons of the Biochem Pre-meds work way harder than the Bio pre-meds at my school. They just don't seem to know how to have fun

So true! I'm BioChem and my courseload is way harder than all my friends, even the other science majors. But, to clarfiy: I know how to have fun; I just don't have time to. :laugh:

I was a civil engineer major.

Its great because all those who have interviewed me have been completely intrigued and I automatically know one of the questions asked me every time (why civil?)

I majored in Chemical Engineering.

Originally posted by Thundrstorm
So true! I'm BioChem and my courseload is way harder than all my friends, even the other science majors. But, to clarfiy: I know how to have fun; I just don't have time to. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love engineering! The civil person posted how everyone asks why they majored in civil engineering. For me, all the interviewers seem to sit back in awe just a bit. On Thursday, my interviewer started as an electrical engineer but switched to biology and had immense respect for me (at least that is how he came off). When I describe Industrial Engineering and all the things I can mathamatically model, they seem to get that "neato" expression on their faces.

On the other hand, I get butchered when it comes to having a "well rounded" education.

Pocwana, us mathamaticians and engineers have the best lingo too! When talking about my TAing differential equations, my interviewer this week actually knew what a La-place (Sp?) transformation and a fourier (Sp?) series were. I was impressed!

I am an Economics Major and a Spanish Minor

English Major, currently taking his last English course ever. Unfortunately, it's on Joseph Conrad. :( sooo boring. He had a bad bad case of wordiness.