what is your schedule like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAT_MAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you guys tell me what a typical day for a dental student is like?

Members don't see this ad.

for a first year, class nine to five or six, get out, study until at least eleven, rinse, repeat. it's worse during exam blocks because you don't really get a chance to go home. fridays they try to accomodate us by letting us out early. i hear it gets worse second year.

For a first year:

Mon: 8-5
Tues: 8-3
Wed: 8-5 for the first half of the semester, then 12-4
Thurs: 8-12
Fri: 8-4

Courses: Gross anatomy, histology, dental anatomy, biochem, biomaterials, preclin, intro to preventative dentistry, intro to the profession, a stupid computer class (Yup! That's 9!!)

2 of our classes have ended by mid-semester, though, freeing up time. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Gross anatomy lab 3 days a week, histo lab twice a week, preclin once a week.

Most exams are done during the day but there are some evening ones....

If you stay at school longer, you can study less when you get home. If you study best at home (like me), you can manage to be home quite a bit during your first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
for a first year, class nine to five or six, get out, study until at least eleven, rinse, repeat. it's worse during exam blocks because you don't really get a chance to go home. fridays they try to accomodate us by letting us out early. i hear it gets worse second year.

OUCH!!!!

Temple:

Mon - 8:00-11:30 am
Tuesday - 8:00-4:30pm
Wed - 8:30 - 11:30am (sometimes until 2:30 ~every 3 weeks)
Thurs- 8:30-4:30
Fri - 9:00-11:30am (optional biochem review until 2:30)

Classes: Biochem, Histology, Restorative, Preclinic, Preventive Dentistry, Behavioral Science

Goooootttttttttaaaaaaa LOVE IT!!!

Do you guys bring snacks with you to class? I'm the type of person who has to munch on something every couple of hours.

definitely bring snacks, somedays breakfast, lunch and dinner. sadly, going to school in the middle of the city means justifying buying lots of food out even though you know you can't afford it because, goddamnit, you deserve it. :D

OUCH!!!!

Temple:

Classes: Biochem, Histology, Restorative, Preclinic, Preventive Dentistry, Behavioral Science

You guys don't have gross? Pansies.

OUCH!!!!

Temple:

Nice, temple just moved up another notch. Don't wanna bring work home with me when the kid is there trying to make me play, if I can avoid it.

and jaw breakers get you expelled...

Are you serious?

Ha. No, they aren't. Although I have seen a professor yell at a guy for drinking Coke. My personal favorite is when kids bring McDonald's to Nutrition class, it never fails that someone does.

At michigan we have the following schedule our first semester.

M: 8 or 9 am - 4pm
T: 8 or 9 am -5
W: 8 or 9 - 4
Th 8 or 9-5
F: 8or 9-5

Classes we take are: Clinical foundation, Dental Anatomy, Behavioral science, Intro to Profession, Developmental Biology of Dentition, Biomaterials and IMS (this class replaces all of the Immuno, Histo, pharmaco, biochem, gross etc. all the science classes and it runs thorught 4 semesters and it is our biggest class, 8.5 credits)
It may seem like a crazy schedule but it is while you are in school and rest is up to you and how you study and time manage. Most days I don't study from 5-8pm, usually take a nap, workout or something else and study about an hour to two a day. Mostly I study couple of days before the exam and rest of the time night before the exam depending on how big the exam is and I rarely study much for the quizzes we have. I usually get bout 8-9 hours of sleep everyday and about 10 hours on weekends. I have been able to go out and get beers on every friday night. Also, I have yet to study or do anything productive on saturdays, college football(we are No. 2 right now) takes all the time, what can I say. I usually try to catch up on sunday by studying about 10 hours and that's about it and mostly find time for anything I like to do. Dental school is definitely time consuming but lot easier than undergrad engineering classes I took. Also, I try to do my best in classes but I don't want to specialize so I don't kill myself over few points I miss in an exam. It is definitely doable. I know this is just first semester and I might need to study more in upcoming semester but I don't think you really have to do 24/7 like some people on this board make it sound like. I was prepared for worse but overall I really do enjoy dental school.

study about an hour to two a day. Mostly I study couple of days before the exam and rest of the time night before the exam depending on how big the exam is and I rarely study much for the quizzes we have. I usually get bout 8-9 hours of sleep everyday and about 10 hours on weekends. I have been able to go out and get beers on every friday night. Also, I have yet to study or do anything productive on saturdays, college football(we are No. 2 right now) takes all the time, what can I say. I usually try to catch up on sunday by studying about 10 hours and that's about it and mostly find time for anything I like to do.

This sounds very familiar :cool: .

Honestly, if you cut down your study hours, make it more efficient (turn off AIM, your wireless, TV, cell phone), and go out more, you'll do better!! The people who seem to be poorly are studying way too much and not getting anything out of it.

Ha. No, they aren't. Although I have seen a professor yell at a guy for drinking Coke. My personal favorite is when kids bring McDonald's to Nutrition class, it never fails that someone does.

You're not in my nutrition class are you? So what if I get hungry sometimes. :oops:

Class from 8-9, or from 8-12h or clinic from 9-12h,
lunch (if the clinic doesnt finish after 12h30because you have to clean up your place, you have time to eat your lunch),
clinic from 13h30-16h30,
class from 4h30-5h30 (if you have time to go to class because the clean up doesnt take a lot of time)
It's crazy!

M: 8-5h30
T:8-5h30
W:8-5h30
T:8-5h30
F:8-4h30

This sounds very familiar :cool: .

. . . The people who seem to be poorly are studying way too much and not getting anything out of it.

Amen, Brother!

I have seen a direct correlation to studying smarter not longer that results in good grades. The best information obtained is one on one time with a professor asking questions and clarifying questions. Some even let you know what to focus on.

Someone has posted a link to NSU's Dental Schedule@
http://dentalschoollife.blogspot.com

The first year started out ok, and then ended up in an overdose of information leading into the Boards after the 1st year. Due to a couple of summer courses, getting the boards out of the way, and having completed nearly all basic health courses the first year the second year feels as if we have retired already. Pharmacology is basically the only stress related course on our schedule. The rest of the courses the second year are all dental specific and heavy in lab/rotation schedules which don't demand the full scheduled time.

You guys don't have gross? Pansies.

:)

We have gross next semester along with neuro anatomy...But if I am a pansy because I don't want to learn more about the GI tract or the Penis...so be it:D

I am pretty sure our schedule is the same next semester too. Half days (9-11:30am) MWF!!!! Love the clinical school that doesn't make you take classes not on the boards!

anatomy of the GI Tract really isn't too bad. It's just the damn nerves that gets annoying. Personally, I feel head and neck anatomy is a helluva lot tougher than thorax and abdomen.