What it is like...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitethunder10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering going back for optometry...

I currently have an undergrad in Journalism with a 3.01 gpa.. (right on the line)

In any case I've weighed the different professions and to me optometry seems like a pretty good deal.

1. can own your own business
2. get paid well
3. work regular hours

I currently work in tech support after trying my had in advertising and hating it.

In any case, can someone get back to me here about the pros and cons of being a optometrist? How difficult is the school aspect (getting in and staying in) as opposed to other medical type degrees? Is being an optometrist fun? How easy is it to start your own practice? Any other things I might not be considering, do tell!

Members don't see this ad.

1. can own your own business
2. get paid well
3. work regular hours

1) You can, but most new grads don't and many never will
2) you can, but as a new grad you'll probably only accomplish this by going corporate
3) you can, but as a new grad you'll work evenings and weekends if you expect to get paid well (because you'll be working corporate)

As long as you don't expect all three of those to happen from the get-go, you'll be okay. I've been out a year and have accomplished #1, and if I keep the doors open, #2 and #3 will hopefully follow.

1) You can, but most new grads don't and many never will*
2) you can, but as a new grad you'll probably only accomplish this by going corporate*
3) you can, but as a new grad you'll work evenings and weekends if you expect to get paid well (because you'll be working corporate)*

As long as you don't expect all three of those to happen from the get-go, you'll be okay. I've been out a year and have accomplished #1, and if I keep the doors open, #2 and #3 will hopefully follow.

* = in the United States

Members don't see this ad :)
But don't our Canadian taxes just make up for that.....taxes = :thumbdown:

Exactly what I was going to say, though I don't know about Alberta...

Doesn't the only english speaking optometry school in Canada state that 80k is the avg. salary ? I think that figure is after all taxes.

My question is if they factor in the business aspect of the profession into that figure.

i.e. Sure that may be your salary... but what if your place has an optical dispensary with edging lab? Most of the offices in my city do.

That may be considered, I really have no idea.