What keeps you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summerlovin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had my highs and my lows as a premed. Sometimes, I love that I'm pursuing a challenging and rewarding career. At other times, I'll pause long enough to listen to that tiny voice in my head that asks me if I wouldn't rather have a stress-free life and just get a job.

Does anyone else worry that they'll lose motivation or become cynical in medical school/residency?

I'm 90% sure that this is what I want to do, but shouldn't medical school be a 110% effort? I'm just having some doubts. Is there anyone who has felt this way, kept going, and been happy with their decision?

Members don't see this ad.

summerlovin said:
I've had my highs and my lows as a premed. Sometimes, I love that I'm pursuing a challenging and rewarding career. At other times, I'll pause long enough to listen to that tiny voice in my head that asks me if I wouldn't rather have a stress-free life and just get a job.

Does anyone else worry that they'll lose motivation or become cynical in medical school/residency?

I'm 90% sure that this is what I want to do, but shouldn't medical school be a 110% effort? I'm just having some doubts. Is there anyone who has felt this way, kept going, and been happy with their decision?

What keeps me going is seeing how ****ed up all you rich bastards are. Most of you only get this far b/c of family support and personal resources, but the fact of the matter is that I know I can serve others better.

Peterock said:
What keeps me going is seeing how ****ed up all you rich bastards are. Most of you only get this far b/c of family support and personal resources, but the fact of the matter is that I know I can serve others better.
My dad can beat up your dad.

Members don't see this ad :)
life keeps me going....just go with the flow....

What keeps me going is food, sleep and sex. Oh and my financial aid.

laziness keeps me going i'll be dammed :sleep:

the threat of working a regular 40 hour week keeps me going....

summerlovin said:

If you don't have ups and downs, you're not human and you would make a sh***y a$$ doctor because you couldn't even connect with your patients (who definitely don't go to the doctor when they are having good days).
Unless you think you're Mahatma Gandhi, it's totally natural. You're not alone.

I often feel the same way. Medicine requires so much time and effort and occasionally I wonder if it's worth it. But then I imagine the alternative -- gray cubicle, computer screen, 9-5, the boredom, and meaninglessness.

uclabruin2003 said:
the threat of working a regular 40 hour week keeps me going....
Don't u have to work 40 hours or more as a doctor? And I'm sure during yer residency yer working even more than that! Unless I assume this is yer dream....? and not working behind a desk all day?

The three identical gray walls of my cubicle at my current job keeps me going......... like a GodD@mn greyhound!

Members don't see this ad :)
Peterock said:

Wow. Why don't you tell me how you really feel. You reek of resentment and that chip on your shoulder will bring you down, no matter how successful you become. I seriously doubt that somebody as bitter, rude and presumptuous as yourself will be able to service the poor and neglected with compassion or care.

And by the way, I am NOT rich. Not even close. When I said a stress-free life and job, I meant it relatively. I think most careers, when compared directly to the path physicians must undergo, are much less stressful and thus contribute to a higher quality of life.

Since when did having some doubt equate to being lazier, less dedicated or less sincere? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Don't underestimate how much business life sucks. Most poeple are not happy with their jobs, and a large number outright hate their job. It's not even just the "gray cubicle" that Apparition brought up. There's a lot of seemingly futile drama, manipulation, and otherwise cut-throatedness that permeates business. Imagine your ultimate goal in life being "to maximize positive potential while minimizing negative risk." Do you want to commit your life to profit? Do you want to spend countless hours making useless powerpoint presentations?

Stay the course - one of the strongest things about medicine is its flexibility. Heck, if, in the end, you decide to go into the business world you can specialize in Preventive Medicine and get a desk job - 40 hours a week in an office. And that involves a degree of altruism not found in most businesses.

Not that there's anything wrong with business. But I don't think that mindset matches that of most pre-meds.

Peterock said:

How dare you, sir. I'll have you know that daddy lost his Fortune 500 company last year in a hostile takeover. As a result, I have been forced to WORK part time and live in an ECONOMY double. This place stinks of middle class filth. I've written all about these trying times in my secondary essays.

:laugh:

summerlovin said:

Why don't you take some time off and see if the job thing is satisfying enough for you? You might find that the 9 - 5 grind is terribly depressing, and that may be very motivating for you.

Peterock said:
What ? Geez, these forums are sinking lower every day :rolleyes:

summerlovin said:
Wow. Why don't you tell me how you really feel. You reek of resentment and that chip on your shoulder will bring you down, no matter how successful you become. I seriously doubt that somebody as bitter, rude and presumptuous as yourself will be able to service the poor and neglected with compassion or care.

And by the way, I am NOT rich. Not even close. When I said a stress-free life and job, I meant it relatively. I think most careers, when compared directly to the path physicians must undergo, are much less stressful and thus contribute to a higher quality of life.

Since when did having some doubt equate to being lazier, less dedicated or less sincere? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

You asked people what drove them. What drives me is knowing how ridiculously spoiled and undeserving the rest of you guys are. Is it so wrong that I just admit it? You guys don't realize how obnoxious you are in real life.
In case you didn't know, my chip rocks. It provides me with the piss and vinegar to mock you guys like the relentless buttclowns you are. You think it isn't obvious how transparent the majority of most premeds and med stduents are? Why do you think nurses and techs hate doctors and med students so much (as well as premeds)? I've never had that problem... my chip is only with self-entitled sheltered pansies who would shatter if they had any adversity in their lives.

And while you mentally masturbated about how I am going to suck serving the poor and neglected with compassion or care, I was actually - serving others. My old roommates and I just helped raise a few thousand fund-raising for the kids we've been mentoring in a summer camp. They're all minorities (and not the kind that get into medical school) and all are frankly poor. Isn't that funny ace?

Just b/c other people suck, doesn't mean I'll lose sight of my goals. While many physicians may be self-entitled pricks, I will not let that stop me from helping the people I want to focus on... and who need it. You guys can delude yourselves into thinking you're all in this for the little guy, but I've yet to see a premed who isn't about to **** themselves when the bum on the street who's covered in sores and smells like piss asks them for some change or food.

Tiddly of Winks said:
How dare you, sir. I'll have you know that daddy lost his Fortune 500 company last year in a hostile takeover. As a result, I have been forced to WORK part time and live in an ECONOMY double. This place stinks of middle class filth. I've written all about these trying times in my secondary essays.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1791198#
thumbup
:laugh:

Poor thing. Well God knows the weeping ivory tower of academia is keeping it's pearly gates open just for you! You might think about applying disadvantaged.

Peterock:

You are among the most egotistical person on this board. You are presumptuous, aggressive, hateful and self-loving.

What good is serving others if you're serving them like this?

Physicians and patients are both people. If you don't respect people, you cannot serve them.

Peterock said:
You asked people what drove them. What drives me is knowing how ridiculously spoiled and undeserving the rest of you guys are. Is it so wrong that I just admit it? You guys don't realize how obnoxious you are in real life.
In case you didn't know, my chip rocks. It provides me with the piss and vinegar to mock you guys like the relentless buttclowns you are. You think it isn't obvious how transparent the majority of most premeds and med stduents are? Why do you think nurses and techs hate doctors and med students so much (as well as premeds)? I've never had that problem... my chip is only with self-entitled sheltered pansies who would shatter if they had any adversity in their lives.

And while you mentally masturbated about how I am going to suck serving the poor and neglected with compassion or care, I was actually - serving others. My old roommates and I just helped raise a few thousand fund-raising for the kids we've been mentoring in a summer camp. They're all minorities (and not the kind that get into medical school) and all are frankly poor. Isn't that funny ace?

Just b/c other people suck, doesn't mean I'll lose sight of my goals. While many physicians may be self-entitled pricks, I will not let that stop me from helping the people I want to focus on... and who need it. You guys can delude yourselves into thinking you're all in this for the little guy, but I've yet to see a premed who isn't about to **** themselves when the bum on the street who's covered in sores and smells like piss asks them for some change or food.

I continue to doubt that you have the heart for serving others, despite your cited example. If you can't treat everyone with respect, no matter how "ridiculously spoiled and undeserving" some of us may be, then you're just full of crap. Your baseless accusations, generalizations and rancid self-importance is really disturbing. How can you be so hateful and judgemental of your peers? While I could refute everything you've said, what's the point? People like you don't listen anyways.

Thanks to everyone else who has responded.

THANK YOU UseUrHeadFred!!! This guy is obnoxious!

You can't find Peterock; he'll just morph into something else equally uncontrollable.

Why oh why do most of these threads turn into flame wars!?! Maturity, people, please! :argh: :rolleyes:

"Peterock: Just b/c other people suck, doesn't mean I'll lose sight of my goals. While many physicians may be self-entitled pricks, I will not let that stop me from helping the people I want to focus on... and who need it. You guys can delude yourselves into thinking you're all in this for the little guy, but I've yet to see a premed who isn't about to **** themselves when the bum on the street who's covered in sores and smells like piss asks them for some change or food."

Peter?...hmmm Rock? hmmm...is this the same Peter from the Bible?!?!?! omg ..sdner's we should bow down now...Jesus is in our forums...

summerlovin said:

i have no doubt that pete will be able to serve the poor and disadvantaged with the utmost compassion and care.
-----------------------------------------
as for myself, the things that kept me going seem to be going away...
i need a sign or something to revitalize me to even endure this road i'm on...

The best way to keep motivated on this long and very expensive trek is to have had to have a job in the real word while juggling all the premed jazz. I have waitressed, worked in retail, been a horse riding instructor (which was nice and paid well in comparison to everything), and bartended. The best motivation is not wanting to have these jobs for the rest of my life, where I can't trully help other people. Nothing is as deflating as bringing someone their food everyday and them barely taking the time to acknowledge your existence and then having them leave you a bad tip after their five kids made the biggest mess in the world spilled grape juice all over you and screamed at the top of their lungs for two straight hours.

I can't wait to have a job that is purposeful, where I can serve others and my talents and interests in science and medicine can be nurtured, and my people skills can come in handy instead of be stomped on by every job in the service industry.

Also theres some really good books out that are good for keeping you excited about the coming years of medschool and residency. Try White Coat and On Call: A doctor's day's and nights in residency. Both are good. :thumbup:

UseUrHeadFred said:
Peterock: You are among the most egotistical person on this board. You are presumptuous, aggressive, hateful and self-loving.

Pinkertinkle said:
Peterock has a huge egotesticle.

Now how can I not practice extreme self-love when I'm endowed with a huge egotesticle? :D And with a such a large ego testicle don't I need to share it with others? Afterall, we're all here to serve, isn't that right?

I for one admire Peterock's enthusiasm. :rolleyes: He's always all over the place-posting derogatory and flaming comments everywhere. It takes a lot of energy to keep up this type of maniacal egotistic presence and mockery of others.

knowing that God knows whats best for me and that He will direct my every footstep keeps me walking in this path.

Working 40 hours a week at my current office job. I thought this year would be great since I would have so much more free time (as compared to school), but I am miserable!! My day goes like this: recieve document, read, photocopy, fax, file, read, photocopy, fax, file, email, conference call, photocopy, fax, file... At first I thought my job was bad, but then I realized that no one in this entire office building doesn anything more interesting (in MY opinion) than push papers. This cubicle/office life is NOT for me. I would rather work 80 hours doing something that is interesting and engaging than work 40 hours in an office :sleep:

Peterock said:

having your driving force be resentment toward people you dont even know is just really sad.....and it seems to be that you're the obnoxious one here....who are you to judge who is deserving and who is not? you need to get a life.... :rolleyes:

Blake said:

did i say something funny? :oops: , i think peterock was trolling and i think i fell for it and now i think im an idiot.....*runs away ashamed*

wends said:
did i say something funny? :oops: , i think peterock was trolling and i think i fell for it and now i think im an idiot.....*runs away ashamed*
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=145911

:oops:

rockstar2525 said:
Working 40 hours a week at my current office job. I thought this year would be great since I would have so much more free time (as compared to school), but I am miserable!! My day goes like this: recieve document, read, photocopy, fax, file, read, photocopy, fax, file, email, conference call, photocopy, fax, file... At first I thought my job was bad, but then I realized that no one in this entire office building doesn anything more interesting (in MY opinion) than push papers. This cubicle/office life is NOT for me. I would rather work 80 hours doing something that is interesting and engaging than work 40 hours in an office :sleep:

you must work in my building. its horrific. I attribute a certain livel of feeling drained all the time to this low energy gig to be due to PROPPING my eyes open and finding things to keep me busy until I get to go home and take action. Give me the +80 too, make it messy.

What keeps me going? Hot bitches, and very nice/fast cars.

KimberliBold said:
you must work in my building. its horrific. I attribute a certain livel of feeling drained all the time to this low energy gig to be due to PROPPING my eyes open and finding things to keep me busy until I get to go home and take action. Give me the +80 too, make it messy.

The best part is the begging for the 3.5% raise each year...

I am Mr Ghandi. I sensed my name was mentioned in an earlier post.

I must go now and drive my ferrari.

bewitched1081 said:
knowing that God knows whats best for me and that He will direct my every footstep keeps me walking in this path.

Here! Here!