what keeps you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazgirl24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting really exhausted. How do you keep yourselg going? I really want to be a doctor and I am working really hard but grades aren't up there. I am tired. ....

Members don't see this ad.

I got a part-time second job as a tech in a busy County Emergency Dept. What re-energizes me is working with people who are doing what I am aiming to do. It's a lot easier for me to imagine being a resident, and then a staff physician, if I'm helping a resident eat a plate of hot wings after work. I'm exhausted having two jobs, but it's also a great motivator.

coffee

no really...i'm being serious

Members don't see this ad :)
because at the end of the day,

I know there isn't anything better to do

Without Wax said:
because at the end of the day,

I know there isn't anything better to do
That pretty much sums it up.

lazgirl24 said:
I am getting really exhausted. How do you keep yourselg going? I really want to be a doctor and I am working really hard but grades aren't up there. I am tired. ....
People who underestimated me.

Apparently, they mistook modesty for stupidity.

For me it was proving to myself that I could do it after having nearly failed out of another discipline. Also, the amazing support of my family and friends.

Last edited:
The quest for the fountain of youth

Kazema said:
For me it was proving to myself that I could do it after having nearly failed out of another discipline. Also, the amazing support of my family and friends.

Curious what exactly you did? (PS - this is not a mean comment)

What keeps me going is my dream of making a difference at the international level as a physician. Whenever i feel low, i read international news...about all the atrocities in the world and also how organizations like Doctors without Borders, Oxfam, Redcross etc. are collaborating with these countries to make lives better. Being from a developing country, i always keep that in perpective. When you read/think about what is going on in the world, you own exhaustion and struggles seem trivial. You rise above them for a much higher goal.

lazgirl24 said:

The thrill of achieving a goal.

because at the end of the day I can't seem myself doing anything else.

My wife keeps me going. Here is one of her pep-talks:

Me: "Hey hon my GPA for this semester is a 3.98" My wife: "THATS IT?? I mean...you need to get in"

LOL
No really shes the best. She and God himself keep me plugging on through the endless hurdles of academic rigour.

Jaidev63 said:
I have bought a very inexpense ($2) stethoscope from ebay. And every day when I look at it I get a renewed sense of what I am destined to become.
Haha, I snagged a $63 stethoscope from my girlfriend. :laugh: I actually have to use it though.

What keeps me going? The desire not to fail.

I think its something inside that you can't really control. But other than that, it's really the bright future ahead that I wait and long for. :thumbup:

Hey,
I definitely agree with everyone about coffee. It is the goodness of the earth.
Also, whenever I get tired of reading and the texts become really boring to me, I stop and think for a second that this could be very crucial information I may have to give to a patient at some point, or that I will need to know this information in order to be able to do xyz for my patient or recommend xyz to the patient and his or her family. Taking the info out of the boring text book context and imagining it in a clinical context works for me all the time.

Good luck to you!
:luck: