What Keeps you going

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flin5845

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last few days I have been getting so discouraged with studying, mainly because I keep doing poorly on quizzes and questions I do. I know most people will say take a day off, and I have. I know I should be extremely motivated because my future depends on this 4 hour exam....well not my entire future, but a HUGE part....

What do you guys do when you are feeling defeated?

ok, I need to get off my soap box..

Members don't see this ad.

i normally cry for a little while...... then get over it (in a few minutes...the next morning or w/e). and then start again.
& yes i suggest taking a day or some time off, get motivated and really wanna do it and get it done with. if ur not motivated u wont absorb any info and it will take u twice as long to understand/retain stuff. dont make urself miserable when studying, and try not to be anxious/worried.
tell urself if dentistry is wat u want, u have to get thru this test ....the sooner the better!!

The last few days I have been getting so discouraged with studying, mainly because I keep doing poorly on quizzes and questions I do. I know most people will say take a day off, and I have. I know I should be extremely motivated because my future depends on this 4 hour exam....well not my entire future, but a HUGE part....

when is ur exam and how have u been doing on ur practice tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
what keeps me going?
all these ****ing overachievers on sdn.. posting their obnoxiously high scores.... :rolleyes:
seriously though, it freaks me out and makes me study harder and believe I can do it.

when is ur exam and how have u been doing on ur practice tests?

My exam is on July 21

I have been trying to review all my sciences first....I have taken the kaplan diagnostic and got a 15-BIO 15-GC and 17-OC 17-RC 14-QR and 16-PAT....I have be practicing the PAT with CDP and have started getting 19-20....but I have not really done any science practice test

what keeps me going?
all these ****ing overachievers on sdn.. posting their obnoxiously high scores.... :rolleyes:
seriously though, it freaks me out and makes me study harder and believe I can do it.

I know!! Sometimes I feel so discouraged when all I read about is 20+ scores....I know SDN does not represent all those who apply....but it still makes me feel like I wont get in if I do not put up a 20+

I know!! Sometimes I feel so discouraged when all I read about is 20+ scores....I know SDN does not represent all those who apply....but it still makes me feel like I wont get in if I do not put up a 20+

I Printed one of the breakdowns out posted on my wall to motivate myself.

Also, my orthodontist owns 3 practices and makes 800k/year. I've never seen more than 5k in person, so making that much in 2 days would be nice.

i normally cry for a little while...... then get over it (in a few minutes...the next morning or w/e).
I read that and I was like :(
No matter how difficult it is, don't forget it's just a test! Although it does feel like an immense load is always behind us, it'll be history soon. And we'll all remember these fond study days. :love: But chin up to all of you and flin5845. I'm sure we'll all score fine and :banana:.

Before I started on my journey into dental school I met this guy named 'Mike' who was in his late 50s, unemployed, broke, single and living in his younger brother's house as he desperately searched for a job in a jobless economy.

That could happen to anyone with a regular job in corporate America.

So I just think about him and say to myself "Don't be like Mike" which motivates me out of fear.

I have a classmate who sold his expensive sports car convertible to pay for school and intentionally replaced it with a 20 yr-old dump which would be too embarrassing for most to be seen in. He claims that it keeps him hungry every time he gets into his vehicle. He knows if he were driving a nice car, he would feel content and not studying hard.

I feel like it helps me a lot if I avoid studying in the same place every day. The change helps my mind for some reason. Also, if you enjoy sports, go do something physical. Part of the reason I haven't gone insane yet is that I play tennis with a friend at least 3x a week. It really helps to take my mind off of the DAT. Also, I never study on Sunday and Saturdays I only study a half day (4 hrs).

What motivates me more than anything is the fact that my fiancee of 2 years broke up with me 4 months ago because I have been giving my school more attention than her and so she suddenly "lost" feelings for me. She also wanted me to delay applying to dental school for another couple of years so that I can support her and give her the attention! But now since we are not together anymore I am encouraged to succeed and in a way show her that she missed out on being with a future dentist :D (I know i'm being a little conceited but sometimes you have to be :)

What motivates me more than anything is the fact that my fiancee of 2 years broke up with me 4 months ago because I have been giving my school more attention than her and so she suddenly "lost" feelings for me. She also wanted me to delay applying to dental school for another couple of years so that I can support her and give her the attention! But now since we are not together anymore I am encouraged to succeed and in a way show her that she missed out on being with a future dentist :D (I know i'm being a little conceited but sometimes you have to be :)

Sorry about the breakup, but it probably wasn't meant to be.

Yes, it will drive her nuts to see you become a successful dentist when she's struggling or is stuck with some dude who can't give her the comfortable life that you would've given her, and will give to some other lucky girl instead. :smuggrin:

All the power to you.

Sorry about the breakup, but it probably wasn't meant to be.

Yes, it will drive her nuts to see you become a successful dentist when she's struggling or is stuck with some dude who can't give her the comfortable life that you would've given her, and will give to some other lucky girl instead. :smuggrin:

All the power to you.

Thank you very much! Everything does happen for a reason! Now I have that little boost to succeed on top of my other motivations:)

Members don't see this ad :)

I am a married, non-traditional student. Whenever I thought about slacking or simply felt like I was going to pass out I reminded myself that I wasn't just doing it for me, I had my wife and our family's future depending on me. I know it sounds like a lot of pressure, but I really thrive under pressure. Sometimes knowing that you can't let others down around you is that last little kick in the ass to go through 40 more Destroyer problems or read that last chapter.

i normally cry for a little while...... Then get over it (in a few minutes...the next morning or w/e). and then start again.
& yes i suggest taking a day or some time off, get motivated and really wanna do it and get it done with. If ur not motivated u wont absorb any info and it will take u twice as long to understand/retain stuff. Dont make urself miserable when studying, and try not to be anxious/worried.
Tell urself if dentistry is wat u want, u have to get thru this test ....the sooner the better!!

hahaha lmao i so believe it

I Printed one of the breakdowns out posted on my wall to motivate myself.

Also, my orthodontist owns 3 practices and makes 800k/year. I've never seen more than 5k in person, so making that much in 2 days would be nice.

just a quick question. is 800k just pure profit or his revenue?? if he owns 3 practices he gotta make more than 800k in my opinion

Just out of curiousity why are high score posts a source of intimidation?

I think it's sad when hard work is seen as a source of intimidation. Very "planet fitnessesque" mentality if you ask me....