What Keeps You In E.M.S.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW83

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what keeps you in the EMS profession? Care to share any stories? Please?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm it's something I did for free in high school, throughout college and after college. I have fun & enjoy it, so why not get paid to do it?? :thumbup:

One recent call that comes to my mind was one we had the other day at a restaurant. Got called for an employee who clapsed and when we got there found out he was diabetic. He was obviously hypoglycemic (Extreme diaphoresis, pale, combative,etc.etc) We checked his blood sugar and it was low enough it didn't even register on the glucometer. We had to hold him down tryin to get an IV and even then with him moving it took 3 attempts. Finally we got it and gave him D-50 which brought him out of it almost immediatly. In a few minutes he was up and walking around and didn't wanna go to the hospital at all. So we did a refusal and he went back to work. I love those types of calls because you actually feel like you did something and aren't a glorified Taxi service like you feel alot of times. Anyways calls like this is what keeps me in EMS, the people who actually need help and the fact that you can provide it. It is a breath of fresh air and makes up for all the BS and stupid pointless calls.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have questioned that many times in my career..usually after I have dealt with extremely dead bodies, been vomitted on, dealt with families who are obnoxious.....you get the picture.

But I do it because I love it. You can not stay in this business otherwise. I might not like the management of the company that I work for but I love the business of being a paramedic. Even when I am a doc, I am sure there are some parts I will miss.

DSM said:
Even when I am a doc, I am sure there are some parts I will miss.

Oh yea and I almost forgot one of the best perks of the job:
DRIVING THROUGH TOWN AT HIGH RATES OF SPEED WITH LIGHTS AND SIREN!!!!!! :D :D :D The look on other peoples faces as you go by. :eek: :laugh: :laugh:
And anything and everything about driving Emergency. LOL

what keeps me in EMS?

nothing... third year in medschool now. EMS killed my back. Got sick of picking up joe blow that weighs 400 pounds at 2a.m..

Love the actual work of doing procedures and evaluating patients, but it was the physical grunt work that killed me. EMS definately is not an old man's game. most of our service guys retire at around 50. that leaves you about 20 years that many people work not doing anything.

I say.......do EMS for about 5-10 years and reap all of its benefits and then go PA/MD and stop lifting for a living and make some more bucks.

later

12R34Y said:
what keeps me in EMS?

nothing... third year in medschool now. EMS killed my back. Got sick of picking up joe blow that weighs 400 pounds at 2a.m..

Love the actual work of doing procedures and evaluating patients, but it was the physical grunt work that killed me. EMS definately is not an old man's game. most of our service guys retire at around 50. that leaves you about 20 years that many people work not doing anything.

I say.......do EMS for about 5-10 years and reap all of its benefits and then go PA/MD and stop lifting for a living and make some more bucks.

later

amen, preach on!!!

"We had to hold him down tryin to get an IV and even then with him moving it took 3 attempts. "

TRY IM GLUCAGON NEXT TIME......

"I say.......do EMS for about 5-10 years and reap all of its benefits and then go PA/MD and stop lifting for a living and make some more bucks."

YUP- LOVED PROCEDURES BUT HATED BS AND HEAVY LIFTING. WORKING AS AN EM PA FOR 4X THE SALARY AND ABOUT HALF THE HOURS NOW.....

I agree about the IM glucagon. it should work pretty quickly unless you've got a patient who's gas end stage liver disease (cirrhosis, hepatitis etc..).

During Hurricane Ivan last night my partner cried and whined about having to work during the storm. She wanted to be home with her boyfriend and she drove me nuts.

I finally told her that this is what we do. If she does not want to be a part of times like last night then she should find another profession. :rolleyes:

I wound up driving most of the night because she was afraid of bad weather :rolleyes: puhleeze.

what is keeping me in EMS?

Well, the scheduling and the fact that it pays the bills right now. I sooooo look forward to the day I don't have to do it anymore. EMS is great, but I'm ready to get on with my life. *sigh* only a couple more years. haha

what keeps me in EMS? I think it's the pay. (yeah, right)

What keeps me in EMS?

The potential for all of the things you guys mentioned above. As a BLS guy (for now), its a little more rare to see the life-saving "I-pushed-the-med-that-brought-him-out-of-it" calls, but I still love the techinical ability that is there to solve incredibly important problems with a skill that you really develop on your own.

My goals are to become an ER doc, but right now I consider myself to be growing up in EMS, learning each step from the smallest BLS board/collar procedure to more complicated medical problems.. I REALLY love the seemingly endless potential for more: more skill, more knowledge, more ability to make a difference. I guess it sounds kinda lame and newbie-ish, but that's where I'm at right now. ...And I can easially see myself coming up with more and more reasons to stay here as I learn more.

Then again, non emergency BLS interfacility transports really do suck. HARD.

"Then again, non emergency BLS interfacility transports really do suck. HARD."

WHAT REALLY SUCKS IS WHEN YOU ARE OUT DOING A BS TRANSFER AND YOUR BACKUP UNIT GOES ON THE CALL OF THE YEAR....happened to me a few times...we get called out and the unit covering us has
1:traumatic full arrest with multiple procedures and good outcome
2. complex medical arrest with multiple drips used, etc while I was transfering a psych pt.....
3. shark attack...yup missed one while on a transfer....made all the papers, guy wrote a book, etc.....yeah, I was on a transfer......

emedpa said:
"Then again, non emergency BLS interfacility transports really do suck. HARD."

WHAT REALLY SUCKS IS WHEN YOU ARE OUT DOING A BS TRANSFER AND YOUR BACKUP UNIT GOES ON THE CALL OF THE YEAR....happened to me a few times...we get called out and the unit covering us has
1:traumatic full arrest with multiple procedures and good outcome
2. complex medical arrest with multiple drips used, etc while I was transfering a psych pt.....
3. shark attack...yup missed one while on a transfer....made all the papers, guy wrote a book, etc.....yeah, I was on a transfer......

Hahaha....This is the most frustrating thing and ALWAYS happens to me....Just the other day soon as we were dispatched for a dialysis transfer...20 yo male pt. unconsious....turns out it was one of the kids I went to school with who was cutting down a tree and it fell on him...He's ok now although he was flown to a Level I and for a while was unknown whether he was paralyzed or not. I also have missed bad MVA's and a fire standby where a little kid and his grandmother were pulled from the building and needed to be treated...The one rig took the kid and had to call in another from about 8 or 9 miles away for the grandmother while I was 2 streets over picking up some dialysis pt. Ohhhh how i hate transfers....