what kind of immunizations does your school require?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist2008

UF class of 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be going to UF. They sent me a form with all the immunizations that they need. Other than MMR, hepatitis, proof of varicella and a TB skin test, they also want a tetnus shot.
Well, actually on the form they send us, tetnus shot was listed as optional but later they called me and said that they want it anyway.
Just wondering what other schools require?

Members don't see this ad.

For Case, it's just Hep B. But anyways, because I had to volunteered in the hospital, I have taken almost every shot available!

The Hep B vaccination is a series of 3 injections over a period of 6 months. Do the schools require you to have the entire series done by the time you matriculate, or is it enough to have gotten to the 2nd shot?

It probably varies, but I'm curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by trypmo
The Hep B vaccination is a series of 3 injections over a period of 6 months. Do the schools require you to have the entire series done by the time you matriculate, or is it enough to have gotten to the 2nd shot?

It probably varies, but I'm curious.

The vaccination isn't complete or effective until you've received that third shot, but if you aren't doing any type of clinical work it won't matter much.

We just had to have our series started by the time we matriculated. Which reminds me, I'm due for my final in the series.

IUSD hasn't asked me for any vaccinations.:confused:

Perfect, i suggest you start getting the Hep B vaccination series ASAP soon or later they will ask you for it.

Comet

UNLV asked for the hepatitis B series (you can get away with having only 2 for enrollment, but you'll need to get your third one before you have any patient contact), two MMRs, one TD (tetanus diphtheria), and one tuberculosis skin test.

Originally posted by PERFECT3435
IUSD hasn't asked me for any vaccinations.:confused:

dont worry, ive been accepted to OSU for some time now and havent heard anything about vaccinations. However, like Comet said I would get started on HepB, to my knowledge every dental school requires it.