what kind of stats do you need to make it into radiology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryinghard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
well...any thoughts? do you have to be top 10 percent..

can average joe, with 50percentile alll across make it?

Members don't see this ad.

You can match if you pass Step 1 and graduate from a medical school. It is possible, but to be competitive, looks like Step 1 scores 230 or higher, doing well on all your 3rd year rotations, good letters, AOA helps a lot and research helps if you're interested in big time academic places. Being a graduate from a U.S. medical school is a huge advantage as well. It's a great field, you can always try and who knows what it'll be like in the years to come. May be more competitive or less. The last 2 years and this year has/is very competitive. Derm is still harder though, radiology does have 900 slots a year and derm has maybe 250.

what percentile is 230?? is this usually top 10 percent of your class?

Members don't see this ad :)
btw, what is AOA

AOA is like a little honor society for medical schools. Some school don't even have it but usually the top 10-15% of students get in with varying criteria. I think a 230 on the USMLE is in the top 25% but it depends on when you took the test, the scores have been trending higher so a 230 2 years ago is not the same as a 230 today.

The truth is that it's not easy to get a radiology spot. I recently looked through most of the CV's of the applicants to our program and their all strong (grades, class rank, step 1, AOA). These are basically minimal requirements. Look for opportunities to separate yourself in other ways (research or non-medical endeavors).

Some advice. The shortage of radiologists has strong implications in regards to your search for a program.

1. Know that essentially every academic program in the country is understaffed. Why? Academic radiologists are going to private practice in large numbers (much higher income). Take another look at community-based programs where there may be better stability in staff. Best option (in my opinion): hybrid academic/community-based programs. The notion that you must have university training if you want to go into academics does not apply to radiology.

2. Look for volume. Radiology groups are paying premiums to graduating residents who can handle the high-volume of private practice. Many university programs offer great 'academic' training, but have no volume. It's not enough to be good; you want to be fast and good.

3. Fellowships are becoming a buyer's market. You can have one just about anywhere if you want it.

AOA stands for Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. In my school, the top 5% in the class was selected in the junior year. The top 15% was selected in the senior year. We had a Radiology residency advisor who was very thorough. He evaluated all the residency programs and indicated how competitive he thought a program was by the kind of class rank each would consider. He had Malllinckrodt and Wake Forest as top 1/20th, versus others taking the top 1/3rd, top 1/2, top 2/3rd etc. The application for Wake Forest had a blank for year selected to AOA. My friend was rejected 3 days after completing his application. He was only a senior AOA, although his had very high board scores. I don't know how competitive Wake Forest currently is.