What makes a good Grand Rounds?

Started by dohgrl76
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dohgrl76

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After sitting (sleeping, surfing my phone, etc) through many a terrible grand rounds, my turn is coming up. Other than knowing what I don't like in a grand rounds lecture, I'm not really sure how to define a "good" one. Obviously should be engaging, not too narrow or too broad in scope, not too long. But any specifics people like in a grand rounds style lecture?

I was leaning towards a case as a backbone to the presentation, but wasn't sure if that was acceptable.

Thanks!
 
No f***ing PowerPoint.

Start with a case and then just talk about the disease. Diagnosis, treatment, new data, etc.

You’ll be remembered in a good way if you do it right.

I think a limited powerpoint to keep you on track can be helpful. Very bare bones though and don't just read off your slides.

Pick something high yield, be conversational and case based.
 
Awesome thank you. I agree that the best ones have limited powerpoints, it's just so hard not to fill those slides!