What Makes An Applicant More Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rallthenamesgon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all think, currently I have done a few hours of shadowing with 3 different Optometrists (1 w/Stein Optical, 1 in private practice and 1 w/ the VA), I am working with my university as a research technician researching diabetes, I volunteer in my community and I belong to my school's pre-health club. My science and cum gpa are both 3.6. Is all of this competitive enough or do I need more????:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

What do you all think, currently I have done a few hours of shadowing with 3 different Optometrists (1 w/Stein Optical, 1 in private practice and 1 w/ the VA), I am working with my university as a research technician researching diabetes, I volunteer in my community and I belong to my school's pre-health club. My science and cum gpa are both 3.6. Is all of this competitive enough or do I need more????:confused:

If you do well on the OAT then you should be as competitive as anyone else unless you have zero personality and/or take your pants off during the interview.

Yes, I second that. There should be no mooning during the interview... otherwise you should be good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
But what if you have a tattoo that says "I heart optometry"

Who told you guys about that?????????

Just kidding:D . Thanks for the feedback.

Don't forget, the essay is important too. There will always be people that have shadowed, done research, have stellar numbers, etc. What will make you stand out is how specifically are you different from other applicants - and that is what the essay is for. If you need some pointers, feel free to check out OptStudent.com's section on essays. There is also a link there that gives even more helpful tips.

Just curious, which of the 3 ODs made you like optometry the most?

If I had to choose, I would say the VA OD. With the VA OD there was more diseases to deal with, because the majority of the vets were older and their eyes weren't as healthy, and I liked that it was in a hospital setting. Plus I'm a vet myself so I guess I just felt comfortable there.