What makes you a better applicant than others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlySi80

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a popular question in interviews. What's a good way to make yourself stand out without seeming like you're too cocky?

Members don't see this ad.

I've explored and developed many interests not just limited to science and medicine. I am an accomplished pianist and percussionist, having trained at Juilliard.

you get the idea.

Originally posted by Joe Joe on da Radio
I've explored and developed many interests not just limited to science and medicine. I am an accomplished pianist and percussionist, having trained at Juilliard.

you get the idea.

So you having trained at the almighty Julliard and being an accomplished pianist and percussionist makes you a better applicant than the rest? I'm sure majority of the applicant pool has explored many interests that go beyond just science and medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Julliard was just ONE example...the idea is that you have interests within and outside of medicine that set you apart from others...

Originally posted by athena21
Julliard was just ONE example...the idea is that you have interests within and outside of medicine that set you apart from others...

exactly.. its a concept..

a lot of these questions are just to get you to talk.

a lot can be observed from a person when you ask them a question and they speak..

they just as well could ask you to tell about your favorite movie or music group..

More examples:

I've lived in a developing country and have a unique understanding of health insurance issues that the majority of the population doesn't have. Personally having lived without health insurance (and this part is true!) for over 4 months, I can also relate to the lack of aid from government programs.

Perhaps if you have a self-study project that you did, talk about that. Some of the kids on the board are quite innovative.

The best way to show them that you have an interest outside of medicine is to relate how it will make you a more compassionate, well-rounded physician.

Originally posted by agent
exactly.. its a concept..

a lot of these questions are just to get you to talk.

a lot can be observed from a person when you ask them a question and they speak..

they just as well could ask you to tell about your favorite movie or music group..

hmmm i don't think it's a concept, no. when the interviewer asks you why you're a better applicant than others, he's asking you just that. he's trying to decide what it is about you that makes you worthy of a place for a class of 100 among the 5000 applicants.

what i meant is that was just one example of the concept of what he needs to do when he is asked that question.

lol - this would be a great thread to read when you're HIGH

i was gonna get my M.D., before I got high,
I had a good MCAT, and great E.C.s, then I got high,
now I cant even get into pod school, and I know why, yeah yeah,
cause i got high, because i got high, because i got high

I can do upside down pushups!!

I always list that as one of my main achievements!!

if there is a class out there that does not wanna add an "upside down pushup-er" to the diversity, I'd rather not be a part of that discriminating bunch anyways.

Originally posted by DW
i was gonna get my M.D., before I got high,
I had a good MCAT, and great E.C.s, then I got high,
now I cant even get into pod school, and I know why, yeah yeah,
cause i got high, because i got high, because i got high

LOL*

yeah these threads are all the same.. you'd think ppl that are applying to med school would not be soo d_ _ b :)

Members don't see this ad :)
you've succeeded in proving your stupidity.. gj.

I'd say:

"I wouldnt say im better than others, because im not aware of their qualifications. My application and credentials, letters speak for themselves." some thing like that.

Originally posted by FlySi80
fuk u biatch

hey hey hey
the only name callin you can do in hea is sayin we're SUPA FLY :D

If you ask this question, then you don't really know how you stand out from others. So why don't you just be frank and tell them that you don't know the answer AND then proceed to talk about your own motivations/passion for medicine? By honestly digging deep into your heart, you will come across as genuine and will stand out from the rest.

Admissions people always appreciate honesty.

Don't use this as a reason:

if "You masturbate more than anyone else on the planet."

Somebody name what movie that's from. ;)

-RA

Originally posted by Random Access
Don't use this as a reason:

if "You masturbate more than anyone else on the planet."

Somebody name what movie that's from. ;)

-RA

Dogma:laugh:

Originally posted by S.c. Cdc28p
If you ask this question, then you don't really know how you stand out from others. So why don't you just be frank and tell them that you don't know the answer AND then proceed to talk about your own motivations/passion for medicine? By honestly digging deep into your heart, you will come across as genuine and will stand out from the rest.

Admissions people always appreciate honesty.

nah thats BS.
forget honesty - its all a game.
treat the interview and application process as if you were running in an election for student president.
while everybody might respect and admire the guy who speaks from his heart. at the end of the day, the person who wins is the one who is most composed under fire... and is polished...
think Bill Clinton.

Originally posted by DarkChild
nah thats BS.
forget honesty - its all a game.
treat the interview and application process as if you were running in an election for student president.
while everybody might respect and admire the guy who speaks from his heart. at the end of the day, the person who wins is the one who is most composed under fire... and is polished...
think Bill Clinton.

Yes, think Bill Clinton. Dishonesty doesn't carry you far. Being composed and polished is a must, as is honesty.

Originally posted by FlySi80
This is a popular question in interviews. What's a good way to make yourself stand out without seeming like you're too cocky?

I can do cartwheels with one hand. :rolleyes: :p

I can do standing back-flips, and i'll flip right in front of them if the want... no joke. Really, i think we have enough cheese on this board to open a dairy farm. Good luck!

Originally posted by samyjay
I can do standing back-flips, and i'll flip right in front of them if the want... no joke. Really, i think we have enough cheese on this board to open a dairy farm. Good luck!

:laugh:

What sets me apart?

I floss. And I am very punctual.

sets troll to ignore.

I can fall alseep, anytime, anywhere, in less than two minutes. Almost self imposed narcolepsy.

This is starting to sound like the Breakfast Club....

Originally posted by San_Juan_Sun

This is starting to sound like the Breakfast Club....

totally.. or that show.. what was it on fox?

america's stupid tricks?