MD What makes you a competitive applicant for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canmed96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In premed, it was pretty straightforward

high gpa, high mcat, some volunteering

I just got accepted to med school and i'm having trouble understanding what makes you competitive for the residency process.

I go to a pass/fail school, and really dread research.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe high/reasonable board scores (step 1, step 2), good LoR, reasearch/pubs, and no red flag. I'm just guessing here because I'm just like you, and I'm starting at a DO school this fall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

boards, research, and how good looking you are. If you are above an 8 you can add 10-20 points to your step 1 score.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
boards, research, and how good looking you are. If you are above an 8 you can add 10-20 points to your step 1 score.

I genuinely think looks are up there for scoring you that #1 residency spot. Like which program wants a 2 on their residents roster page, eh? I guess it's time for me to start using those anti-aging creams. :dead:

Reactions: 3 users
step 1, clinical grades, LOR, step2, research, school prestige. in that order

It's still pretty straight forward:

Board scores, clinical grades, LOR's.

Depending on the specialty, research and away rotations could also be very important.

Other factors: AOA/awards, school name, EC's kinda but not really

Depends on the specialty.

Every PD I've spoken to says it's your board scores, letters of recommendation, clerkship grades +/- research (specialty & program-dependent) and application that gets your foot in the door, but the point of the interview is to see if you're a normal human being they want to spend a lot of time with over the next 3-5 (or 7) years.

I just got accepted to med school and i'm having trouble understanding what makes you competitive for the residency process.

This is one of those questions that is just so broad that you can just answer by saying “read SDN”. That said, I’ll try to make compare/contrast medical school and residency admission factors.

USMLE v MCAT: Both the most important factors, but the USMLE becomes more high stakes as it’s a one-and-done.

Medical Grades v GPA: Your M3 grades weighted way more than your M1/2 grades which is a new thing vs. undergrad where junior year isn't weighted more. Overall class rank isn’t super important unless you’re in the bottom 50 (in which case it may hurt for some competitive programs that screen). Overall the GPA is probably more important because it’s one number weighting all your courses equally whereas your medical school grades come from numerous places and tell a story that can be interpreted differently by different people.

Extra-Curriculars: They’re an unwritten requirement in undergrad and used to truly make yourself unique for medical school, but virtually irrelevant in residency. That said, having none becomes a problem as you have nothing to talk about during interviews... To be honest though, I got a lot of questions in my residency interviews about my undergrad ECs...but if I hadn’t scored XYZ on Step 1, i wouldn’t have even been invited for an interview.

Research: Way more important in residency applications. Sorry to break the news to you, but having minimal research and applying to a competitive field is a big red flag. Even having minimal research and trying to apply to higher ranked academic programs in less competitive fields like IM/Peds will be a fruitless venture because those are competitive since most people doing those are gunning for fellowships. An exception to research is EM. It’s a nice thing to have, but they could care less.

Volunteering: Did none in medical school, had to do 200+ hrs in undergrad to even be considered.

School Brand: It’s funny how if you really think about it getting that Cards fellowship or Ortho residency really starts from high school. You need to get good grades with a tough AP courseload to get accepted into a name brand college to then get accepted into a good medical school, which then leads to a good residency. I will say that if you want to break the cycle somehow, the place to do it is to take an extra year and get into a top medical school. If you go to Harvard and get a 3.4 GPA and 28 MCAT, you’re not getting into an MD school whereas if you go to Harvard medical school and are near the bottom of your class and score 225 on Step 1, you’re could still be competitive for quite a few things you would have to kiss goodbye to at a lower tier MD or DO school.

Last edited:
#1 : not failing anything. Failing a step or core exam nosedives your competitiveness far more than a below average step score, GPA or poor grade.

Reactions: 1 user

Step 1 is obviously the most important, leadership experiences are nice, AOA is good, research is basically mandatory for most of the competitive specialties... some P/NP schools still rank students in quartiles, so check to see if your school does anything like that, and if it does, it'd help to be in the top quartile...away rotations are important for specific specialties

Step 1 is obviously the most important, leadership experiences are nice, AOA is good, research is basically mandatory for most of the competitive specialties... some P/NP schools still rank students in quartiles, so check to see if your school does anything like that, and if it does, it'd help to be in the top quartile...away rotations are important for specific specialties

How big of a deal is AOA if you school doesn't have it?

How big of a deal is AOA if you school doesn't have it?

Most residency directors will know if your school doesn't have it... how they perceive it, I'm really can't say for sure. The few residency directors that I know and have talked to this about told me they will place more emphasis on clinical grades and other factors if the applicant does not come from a school that has AOA or does class rankings... so I'd say don't really worry about AOA if it is out of your hands and just make sure to do well in clinicals and on step. I matched into the hardest specialty to match into statistically speaking, and one other guy from my class matched in as well and he wasn't in AOA... so it really doesn't matter that much, it's just a nice touch if your school offers it

Boards are the most important, but they're really just a qualifying factor. You either have a score above a certain threshold for an interview at the program/specialty or you don't.

Research, letters, and personality are make the rank list that ultimately decides where you match.

Medical school prestige helps a lot with landing an interview at academic centers with a lower Step score, plus your letter writers are more likely to be heavy hitters.

I would want to point out that theres a markedly different balance of power for residency vs med-school applications too.

In med school theres thousands of people begging for a spot, and for the most part the people they accept won't have a huge impact on the day-to-day life of the people doing the accepting. Most med students will just stay the course and be near irrelevant - unless you, say, discover a cure for cancer...or embroil your school in a nationally publicized sex scandal.

On the other hand residents have to actually work with the program directors, faculty, and other residents. They can make the life of a PD easier or harder in a very direct way. And if a program doesn't fill it can be a huge PITA for them. So while med school admissions is a one way street, residency applications are bilateral.

Of course all this breaks down when you're applying for Ortho/Derm/Plastics where there are 1000 excellent candidates lined up for every spot.

I would want to point out that theres a markedly different balance of power for residency vs med-school applications too.

In med school theres thousands of people begging for a spot, and for the most part the people they accept won't have a huge impact on the day-to-day life of the people doing the accepting. Most med students will just stay the course and be near irrelevant - unless you, say, discover a cure for cancer...or embroil your school in a nationally publicized sex scandal.

On the other hand residents have to actually work with the program directors, faculty, and other residents. They can make the life of a PD easier or harder in a very direct way. And if a program doesn't fill it can be a huge PITA for them. So while med school admissions is a one way street, residency applications are bilateral.

Of course all this breaks down when you're applying for Ortho/Derm/Plastics where there are 1000 excellent candidates lined up for every spot.

Which, I think, makes the interview a huge part of your application and competitiveness - more so than in med school applications.