What makes you...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCBlues

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in hearing different responses to the following question. Please share your thoughts. Thank you!

What do you think makes you an outstanding applicant besides grades?

Members don't see this ad.

My left shoulder blade is a marvel in itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that Im well endowed certainly didnt hurt....I saw the Temple interviewer taking a few peeks now and then....

Brain cancer survivor; i teach english to immigrants :luck:

Be well rounded: have good service, good letters of rec., and show improvement with your grades

work experience at a dental office for a few years (a couple days of shadowing is probably sufficient to get accepted, but work experience makes you outstanding.)

I had 1500+ hours of community service teaching mentally and physically handicapped childern how to sail. (no joke)

^^kudos to you, jrogoff. damn, i could never do that (teach them how to paint or make cards, sure. but to sail?! and for 1500hrs?)

i would say it's all in the interview, how you present yourself and interact. that's why they have interviews, right? to sort out all the applicants who look the same on paper. doing dentistry requires a lot of people skills, knowing how to work with them, wheedle the little kiddos to open their mouths...having a 3.6 gpa won't help you there. be exceptional in your interview--let them see the fire in you.

My hand-eye coordination. :thumbup: I was heavily involved in piano performance from about ages 7-19, and have done my best to keep it up since. I type over 90 WPM, and can also whoop some A at Halo. ;) Oh yeah, and I was also the first kid on my block to win Super Mario Bros. and to beat Mike Tyson in Punch Out! for the old school Nintendo. :p That feat alone should win the adcoms over.

Typo said:
Oh yeah, and I was also the first kid on my block to win Super Mario Bros. and to beat Mike Tyson in Punch Out! for the Nintendo. :p

I dunno if its just me, but did you guys find that beating Mr. Sandman was harder than beating Tyson?

I think I stood out because my essay was exceptional compared to other applicants. That;s what the interviewers told me anyway. If anybody wants to know what I wrote about and tips for writing an essay, just PM me. I'll share the tips I got from all my English major friends and the books on essay writing I had.
Also, I think I stood out because my interviews were exceptional. Interviewers don't have to tell me that because this is the one part of the application I already knew I wouldn't have a problem with. I've always been sociable and outgoing so interviews are fun for me.
My undergrad grades were much more suckier than my post-bac so I really depended on these two areas to push me over the top.

For you more anal students out there......me included sometimes!
"much more suckier" is incorrect and should be "suckier" without the "much more."
But I really liked how that read in the original version! :D

Dr.BadVibes said:
I dunno if its just me, but did you guys find that beating Mr. Sandman was harder than beating Tyson?

Yeah, Tyson was only dangerous for like the first 2 minutes of the fight where you had to dodge all of his punch or get knocked down with just one punch. Afterwards, you could simply fight him like anyone else...

Along with my superior physique and intellect

I can take a slap shot to the face and still live to talk about it. although I play goal and I usually wearing a mask, my helmet came off and I dove down to save the puck, they guy literally teeed it up and hit me with a puck in the forehead, I had a huge cut, and stiches. But hey chicks dig guys with scars.

Well, I was the first kid in my middle school that bit up the math teacher, no joke! Do you think I should mention this at the interview?

DDS2BE said:
Well, I was the first kid in my middle school that bit up the math teacher, no joke! Do you think I should mention this at the interview?

I may be old, or out of the loop when it comes to slang, but does "bit up" mean somehting else, or did you actually bite your teacher?

NYCBlues said:
Hi all,

I am interested in hearing different responses to the following question. Please share your thoughts. Thank you!

What do you think makes you an outstanding applicant besides grades?

I think my major was very unique which lead to a unique research project-at a few of my interviews they were really interested in hearing about it. And I had a lot of community service tutoring children.

the fact that i can challange any of you guys in John Madden, NBA Live. the fact that i practice Lakerism and Titanism (2 new religions). :laugh: :laugh:

I'll challenge ANYONE at NHL on any system except PS2...I just cant get used to that damn analog stick...