What med-schools are mostly PBL focused?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lenap3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I went to a high school that had their own version of PBL and loved it. And no, it wasn't one of those alternative schools, but a really well known private school. Some of the smartest people I've ever met went there and it was just a really great experience. After attending two giant research undergrads (I transferred) I really want to base my med school list off good PBL programs, but I am having a hard time finding a cohesive list--anyone know which schools are very PBL? The ones I know of are CCLM and Icahn--what others?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are interested in osteopathic programs, I know LECOM-B does PBL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long story short, I went to a high school that had their own version of PBL and loved it. And no, it wasn't one of those alternative schools, but a really well known private school. Some of the smartest people I've ever met went there and it was just a really great experience. After attending two giant research undergrads (I transferred) I really want to base my med school list off good PBL programs, but I am having a hard time finding a cohesive list--anyone know which schools are very PBL? The ones I know of are CCLM and Icahn--what others?
If you consider an Osteopathic med school, Rowan SOM has both traditional and PBL tracts.

UNLV, but you need ties to NV

I believe Lecom offers PBL at all campuses. I also believe they have been doing PBL for over 20 yrs so they aren't working out the bugs with their curriculum. Board scores, and match rates are competetive. Plus tuition is cheap, comparatively. If PBL is your thing, they should be on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Case Western Reserve has a robust case-based learning curriculum which really impressed me. Hofstra as well, though CWRU seemed like the OG

Second Case, they are REALLY big on it. Vandy seems to have a decent focus on case based as well.

Harvard is all case-based collaborative learning (8-12:30, 4 days each week), Penn has a LOT of learning team type work (5ish seasons a week)

Reactions: 1 users
The University of Missouri-Columbia pioneered the use of PBL curriculum in medical schools (This is from their website and interview). They consistently have one of the best/highest Step 1 averages in the country. Some of their undergrad classes (specifically sciences and some social sciences) also make use of PBL cirriculum