Resolved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1091211

Resolved

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there schools where student wellness is emphasized more so than others?

Are there schools where the above characteristics are lacking?

I expect medical school to very difficult, but I am hoping to apply to schools where my own well-being is a priority of the school in addition to my education and preparation to become a clinician.
Doesn't this apply to all of us, and don't all schools profess to make this a priority, regardless of their success in so doing?

The bottom line is that it is so damn hard to just get an acceptance, and the feedback provided on this topic is so subjective, that it's really more a thing to look at once you know what your choices are, rather than something to use to screen out schools when applying. If your only choice is a school where the word on the street is that your well being is NOT a priority, are you really going to look into law or business rather than sucking it up and making the best of it?

Members don't see this ad :)
If so, what are some examples? I am not talking about coddling here, but rather creating an environment where teamwork is promoted over competition, where helping is encouraged over hurting your peers, and where medical students are taught and allowed to care not only for others, but for themselves too...

Schools with P/F grading and no ranking.

Reactions: 8 users
I HATE the required wellness sessions and essays with all my heart hahaha. But besides that - good exam retake policy in my opinion is very very therapeutic Hahaga .

Reactions: 1 users
Although I wouldn't let it limit the places to apply to, this is a pretty important factor to take into consideration once you have your interviews/acceptances in order. Many schools will report on their websites the student wellness resources they have, such as a student mental health center with a certain amount of free visits a year, wellness sessions, etc. There may be wellness student groups on campus. When I was interviewing, I contacted multiple students at the institution to ask why they liked that school and what the culture is like. You can rank your choices based on this information.

There has been a huge push for student wellness with COVID and the many domestic issues within the past year, and so I believe most schools have some foundation of a student health center.

Reactions: 2 users
Although I wouldn't let it limit the places to apply to, this is a pretty important factor to take into consideration once you have your interviews/acceptances in order. Many schools will report on their websites the student wellness resources they have, such as a student mental health center with a certain amount of free visits a year, wellness sessions, etc. There may be wellness student groups on campus. When I was interviewing, I contacted multiple students at the institution to ask why they liked that school and what the culture is like. You can rank your choices based on this information.

There has been a huge push for student wellness with COVID and the many domestic issues within the past year, and so I believe most schools have some foundation of a student health center.
agree with contacting students 100%. the vast vast majority will be very honest with you about their experiences. also, agree even more with whoever it was that said that making sure pass/fail and no ranking for preclinical is the number 1 wellness initiative you can have. takes an unbelievable amount of stress off if you're able to choose a school with it

Reactions: 1 user
P/F preclinical and clinical
No rankings reported
No AOA
I’ve heard Yale and UCSF do this. Not sure, though.

Reactions: 1 user
P/F preclinical and clinical
No rankings reported
No AOA
I’ve heard Yale and UCSF do this. Not sure, though.
Would these even be desirable with Step 1 going P/F? How do you even set yourself apart from other students with similar Step 2 CK scores?

Would these even be desirable with Step 1 going P/F? How do you even set yourself apart from other students with similar Step 2 CK scores?

I'm sure Yale and UCSF students will be fine lol

But @OP, definitely Yale and UCSF. Harvard also has everything P/F, but they have mandatory classes and probably are a little more cut-throaty than the other two places, just by virtue of self-selection

That's what the name Yale on your application's for. I've thought about that before too, but then I was like "it's Yale".

Yes, I remember those mandatory 8am wellness lectures very well. I never felt more supported. :partyblob:

As a resident, I always found the most effective tools for increasing my wellness were mandatory lectures at lunchtime about wellness and how being burned out would hurt my patient care.

/s

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So for low-tier MD schools, this “no grading policy“ would be a bad idea, right? Seems that a majority of schools are going in this direction though...
Yup. It's really a Catch-22 situation in which you cannot have your cake and eat it too! :)

Low ranked school + No way to distinguish yourself from other students =/= Competitive specialty!!!! Schools that stick with grading understand this, and continue to report ranking in order to help their top performers in the match. At the expense, of course, of the rest of their class.

If you're lucky enough to get into a top school, you can actually have your cake and eat it too. Otherwise, you need to make a choice, assuming you have one, between less stress and gunning. They really are incompatible!! :)