What might be some safety schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meahri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

What might be some safety schools or schools at the low end of the spectrum.
My overall GPA and pre-req GPA about 3.15.
I am thinking to apply ths fall but I don't have any pharmacy experience and I have low GPA. Although I am expecting to volunter as pharmacy technician starting this fall, it won't be much since I'll be applying this fall. I am quite worried right now. I am expecting to get at least 80 percentile to 90percentil on the PCAT. (I am taking it August)

Some of the schools that I found require lower GPA are Howard University (Columbia), Midwestern University (Arizona), and Chicago State University (Illinois).

I would greatly appreciate your inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do obtain that range of a PCAT score , you would be much less limited than you would think.

depending on your ECs / PS / LORs you could get into top programs . it is not totally uncommon to see this occur with lower range 3.0 gpas.

Have you thought about volunteering at a pharmacy this year? Or trying some job-shadowing? That would probably help your essays, which may mean you have a better shot at an interview, and then it would help at the interview, too. I got questions about what it's like to be a pharmacist in my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming that you need a safety school in the first place, look for schools that aren't fully credentialed and expensive. These schools are less desirable so they have to accept less competitive applicants until they build up a good reputation.

South University accepts students with PCAT of 55%.

South University accepts students with PCAT of 55%.

They accept a 60th percentile score... Which isn't the same as 60%. Percentile != percentage.

It seems low, but when you think about it, a person who gets a 60 on the PCAT has performed better than 60% of his peers. Combined with a solid GPA and ECs, there's nothing wrong with a 60 necessarily.

Incidentally, Mercer also accepts a 60 PCAT as the minimum required.

They accept a 60th percentile score... Which isn't the same as 60%. Percentile != percentage.

It seems low, but when you think about it, a person who gets a 60 on the PCAT has performed better than 60% of his peers. Combined with a solid GPA and ECs, there's nothing wrong with a 60 necessarily.

Incidentally, Mercer also accepts a 60 PCAT as the minimum required.

Mercer has a 70 PCAT minimum and their average PCAT score in the class is 81. Thats what they told me during the interview at least. Which isn't surprising I am sure almost all pharmacy schools would expect someone to get at least a 70 percentile which isn't hard to obtain.

Mercer has a 70 PCAT minimum and their average PCAT score in the class is 81. Thats what they told me during the interview at least. Which isn't surprising I am sure almost all pharmacy schools would expect someone to get at least a 70 percentile which isn't hard to obtain.

http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolmercerpage.htm

This data has to be updated annually, so unless Mercer is slacking and/or falsifying information, it's 60th percentile.

Well...only 30% of people can possibly get a 70 percentile.

I know they say their average PCAT score was around a 81 and the Dean say they strongly prefered students with a 70 or above on the PCAT. So I guess strongly preferred isn't a requirement.

I guess not, because it's 60.

The average very well might be an 81, but I'm just saying that for your purpose of disparaging South by saying they accept lowly 60th percentile scores, be advised your school also accepts those horrible 60th percentile scores.

I guess not, because it's 60.

The average very well might be an 81, but I'm just saying that for your purpose of disparaging South by saying they accept lowly 60th percentile scores, be advised your school also accepts those horrible 60th percentile scores.

Didn't mean to dis South, I have nothing against them, but after reading that "Do NOT go to South" thread, I couldn't help but list them as one of the less desirable schools.

I have nothing against any schools and the name means nothing to me. Mercer is ONLY good to me b/c I get to stay in the 100K debt range, other then that, its all the same. The only thing I think is important is the COST of the school. I rank schools from Cheapest to Most expensive. :laugh: I don't care about the name at all.