1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

what next?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Maurizio, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Maurizio

Maurizio Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hey,

I am currently finishing up my Ph.D. in mechanical engineering and am interested in applying to med. schools in the future. I have to take a couple of pre-reqs before I apply (this should take about a year). My question is, while I'm taking my pre-reqs, and during my glide year, should I look for a job in industry or look for a post doc position? which will adcomms like more? I think they both have advantages and disadvantages but my feeling is that the extra research experience (specifically if it is in a biomedical topic) may help more.

The main thing I'm worried about is being labeled a professional strudent :eek: . I don't want it to appear that I am just hopping from one degree to another. I should also mention that I'll be 31 when I finish my Ph.D. and 33 when I start med school, so I don't really want to take to much time between grad school and med school to work (at least no more than the 2 needed to finish my pre-reqs and apply)

Thanks for taking the time to help :thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.