what next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maurizio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am currently finishing up my Ph.D. in mechanical engineering and am interested in applying to med. schools in the future. I have to take a couple of pre-reqs before I apply (this should take about a year). My question is, while I'm taking my pre-reqs, and during my glide year, should I look for a job in industry or look for a post doc position? which will adcomms like more? I think they both have advantages and disadvantages but my feeling is that the extra research experience (specifically if it is in a biomedical topic) may help more.

The main thing I'm worried about is being labeled a professional strudent :eek: . I don't want it to appear that I am just hopping from one degree to another. I should also mention that I'll be 31 when I finish my Ph.D. and 33 when I start med school, so I don't really want to take to much time between grad school and med school to work (at least no more than the 2 needed to finish my pre-reqs and apply)

Thanks for taking the time to help :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.