What not to wear on second looks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiniNMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Just curious.. I know people are starting to take second looks at medical schools but what do you think is appropriate / inappropriate to wear for a second look? I'm thinking of scrapping the jeans in favor of still casual but nicer clothes. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter what you wear unless there are specific events that require specific clothing. At one second look we had a big formal dinner at an old mansion place followed by a trip to the theater. Obviously we had to dress up. For the casual parts of the second look, treat them as such. If you're a t-shirt and jeans person, wear a t-shirt and jeans. No one cares.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All

Just curious.. I know people are starting to take second looks at medical schools but what do you think is appropriate / inappropriate to wear for a second look? I'm thinking of scrapping the jeans in favor of still casual but nicer clothes. Thoughts?

Definetly do NOT wear jeans, they scream "not a future doctor."

Hi All

Wear scrubs and a white coat. You know you want to.:laugh: THAT screams future doctor.

Go business casual if you're not sure.

Or just go gunner wearing a white coat AND scrubs, with surgery head gear, stethoscope on the neck, scalpal in one hand and patient with common cold in the other.

Wear scrubs and a white coat. You know you want to.:laugh: THAT screams future doctor.
I say scrubs and the long white coat- get a jump start and let them know that you have a 5 year plan to become an attending before anyone else ;) :laugh:

I have a good feeling this thread is going to be hijacked into a What to do to be a gunner thread lol.

I am not really stressing about it yet but what exactly is "business casual" for females?

I'd wear a thong with cutoffs and a marlboro halter top if I was you...male or female...doesn't matter.

They dig it.

this decorated w/glitter and sequins...

Members don't see this ad :)
One school suggested casual business....that we don't need to be as dressed up as we were in interviews, but since we'd be touring hospitals and be in areas with patients we shouldn't dress too casually for the official events (i.e. no jeans).

For girls, I think a nice pair of pants and nice sweater/blouse/button down would work.

One school suggested casual business....that we don't need to be as dressed up as we were in interviews, but since we'd be touring hospitals and be in areas with patients we shouldn't dress too casually for the official events (i.e. no jeans).

For girls, I think a nice pair of pants and nice sweater/blouse/button down would work.

Crap. I only own jeans...oh well, an excuse to shop.

I'm pretty sure that if you don't show up wearing a strap-on, your acceptance is still in the bag.

Button-down collars look best without a tie, but if it's a nice Oxford cloth and a conservative tie (think diagonal stripes, not Jerry Garcia) then I think you can pull it off.

As for the knot, I prefer the fatty double Windsor. You need long ties, though, unless you're short.

Double breasted suits are much more dressy, so it depends on the occasion.

sport coat < two-button suit < three-button suit < double breasted < dinner jacket < tux < tails < white tux with leopard print hat and a cane

Dang, that's what I was planning to wear on my OB/Gyn rotation. Probably too formal, now that I see your list.

:laugh:

White tux with leopard print hat and cane gets my vote.

Perfect outfit:
kramer.bmp

I personally take my style lessons for such occasions from a great leader of jolly old England:
blingblingchurchill3.jpg

I'd avoid this one if you are accepting a rural service scholarship:

698a-main.jpg

I would not wear a shirt from other schools you have been accepted to or wish you could have gone to instead. That would be poor form.

On a serious note Business Casual=Snappy Casual (Vanderbilt term that I just love). For second look, now maybe this is just me, it is better to err on the side of conservative than casual (just like with interviews).
Business casual usually consists of:
For Women:
*Dress pants (black, navy, khaki) or skirt (below the knee, A-line good choice), hose usually not required, closed toes shoes (especially since we'll be doing hospitals tours, a pump, dress flats, loafers, etc), and a nice blouse, dress shirt. Think Ann Taylor (and I don't work there, but just use their "look" as a model. They pretty much exemplify business casual. There is a link to some outfits they have already put together for you!
http://www.anntaylor.com/IWCatSecti...d&Merchant_Id=1&RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=6&TN
For Men:
*Dress pants (sorry no skirts) usually navy or khaki, a long-sleeve dress shirt and maybe a tie. The tie is dependent on how conservative the school. For Vanderbilt I know that on rounds all the guys wear ties, so something to take into account.

*Dress pants (sorry no skirts)

Yeah, I'm already wearing my kilt to the interview, so it would be bad form to wear the same thing twice. :laugh:

Hi All

You can't go wrong with business casual. I wouldn't wear jeans unless you're told to come dressed casually.

You can't go wrong with business casual. I wouldn't wear jeans unless you're told to come dressed casually.

It does not matter what you wear... you CAN wear jeans...all the students do...you are accepted...they will not change that...does not matter what you wear at all

It does not matter what you wear... you CAN wear jeans...all the students do...you are accepted...they will not change that...does not matter what you wear at all

I have to disagree with you on this one. While you are already accepted and they can't rescind your offer, what you wear to events like this does matter. On your second look weekends, you will be meeting with faculty members that you might want to do research with or ask for advice in the future, and it never hurts to make a good first impression. As they say "you never have a second chance to make a first impression." IMHO, it is always better to be more dressed up than more casual.

Common sense is if not common, then fairly straight forward. Ever wondered why attendings who have worked for 30+ years in a hospital still wears white coats? Not because they can't afford the laundry bill, but because patients, for some reason or other, expect a certain clothing standard.

Thus, try to look at what residents (which is what y'all hopefully will be someday) are wearing. Really, you don't see a lot of faded stone-washed jeans, miniskirts or plunging necklines. So try to take your cue from that, and dress nicely, without looking like an investment banker-type.

You want the "second look" to be YOU looking at the institution. NOT the institution giving you second looks because of your attire.

We're going to be judged from this point forward, not just the quality of our work but how we interact socially with colleagues, patients, execs etc. In other words, you're always being "interviewed." Would it really hurt to wear khaki pants instead of jeans?

I always think it's appropriate to dress one level higher than what you think will be expected. There's nothing worse than being UNDER dressed.

There is a show called "What not to wear" on the Learning Channel. You should watch it ;)

are second looks 90% $hit shows? thats what i've heard. if so, can't wait!

are second looks 90% $hit shows? thats what i've heard. if so, can't wait!

:laugh: (wish there was a way to make that bigger???). If they are at least they are on the med $chool's tab$! However, make sure you're lookin' good while gettin' crunk.

I am not really stressing about it yet but what exactly is "business casual" for females?
I would wear something like a button down shirt (nicely pressed) 3/4 length sleeves if you get warm and nice slacks with sensible shoes.

I went to the Dillard's Outlet in Arlington and bought 4 pairs of nice slacks and 4 3/4-sleeve button downs... they mix and match and any of the combos would be business casual. That's generally the most inexpensive way to do it. I think I spent less than $100 total :thumbup:

:laugh: (wish there was a way to make that bigger???). If they are at least they are on the med $chool's tab$! However, make sure you're lookin' good while gettin' crunk.

hah, im as handsome as ever drunk.

in all honesty, im not sure how important second looks are.... they are propaganda-fests... its hard to actually gauge a school properly..... i think the best possible thing to do is to visit on a random day and just follow some students around...