What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shays

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am in a one-year Master's in Biomedical Sciences program
Undergrad GPA of 3.35, one semester of grad school GPA of 3.93
DAT AA of 18
Plenty of volunteer hours (Meals on Wheels, Mission trips, etc.) and shadowing hours (gen dent, oral surgeon, pediatric, etc.)

What do I do now to improve my Fall 2015 application? What do I do now to stand out? What are my chances? etc.

I applied to all 3 Texas schools and have interviewed at 1 school. I have been emailing the schools about my improvements and hard work. I really want to start dental school next year vs. delay a year. Any advice? :help:

Members don't see this ad.

Your DAT isn't that competitive for a 3.35 GPA. You should re-take the DAT and get at least a 20-21.

Also what is your sGPA ?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a little late in the cycle to retake. But I would do it anyways and prepare for the next cycle.

You never mentioned your EC's. If you have a good bit then great, you should have a decent chance at acceptance after you get a higher DAT score.

If not, then find something to do. No examples here though, I am no expert in post-grad ECs.

I honestly don't think I will retake the DAT, it was an expensive process and when I talked to people at dental schools they didn't make it out to be a huge issue. In my opinion, the fact that I made all A's in grad school (all A's, one A-) overcomes my DAT score. What I could do this school year to improve my app was to raise my GPA and that is what I am doing. Do you think my application is still drastically uncompetitive?

As far as extracurriculars go, I feel that I am very well rounded. I have done college sports, school clubs, musicals, church activities, etc.

I am really just looking for advice to improve my application for this cycle. If I don't get accepted, I will reapply with a completed master's degree and begin working in the industry. I would try to find some activities to do then, maybe city sports, stay involved with the university, etc.

I honestly don't think I will retake the DAT, it was an expensive process and when I talked to people at dental schools they didn't make it out to be a huge issue. In my opinion, the fact that I made all A's in grad school (all A's, one A-) overcomes my DAT score. What I could do this school year to improve my app was to raise my GPA and that is what I am doing. Do you think my application is still drastically uncompetitive?

As far as extracurriculars go, I feel that I am very well rounded. I have done college sports, school clubs, musicals, church activities, etc.

I am really just looking for advice to improve my application for this cycle. If I don't get accepted, I will reapply with a completed master's degree and begin working in the industry. I would try to find some activities to do then, maybe city sports, stay involved with the university, etc.

I dunno man, your application looks good except for the DAT, and you just want to avoid anything negative on your application. I know it's expensive but what is more expensive? Retaking that DAT and having a better chance of admissions or gambling on not getting accepted?

Your grad grades coming in during November/December didn't help but considering the Texas application service opens up in May. You also took your DAT towards the end of June, so your scores came in a bit late too. You had one interview so its certainly not over yet. I talked to a student at StonyBrok and that was the only school he applied to and got waitlisted at. He later got accepted that year. Perhaps you should try and bring in an impressive LOR to the school that interviewed you and personally hand it in to the admissions people Just keep up the hard work in your SMP.

In regards to next cycle if it comes to that, apply on time, do well on your second semester. The DAT is certainly a tiring and expensive process so I don't blame you for putting that thought in the back of your head. But if I had a 6 month gap before the cycle began, I might retake it considering it would give me more peace of mine if I had a 19 or 20. Out of curiosity, can you post your individual DAT scores?

Last edited:
Your grad grades coming in during November/December didn't help but considering the Texas application service opens up in May. You also took your DAT towards the end of June, so your scores came in a bit late too. You had one interview so its certainly not over yet. I talked to a student at StonyBrok and that was the only school he applied to and got waitlisted at. He later got accepted that year. Perhaps you should try and bring in an impressive LOR to the school that interviewed you and personally hand it in to the admissions people Just keep up the hard work in your SMP.

In regards to next cycle if it comes to that, apply on time, do well on your second semester. The DAT is certainly a tiring and expensive process so I don't blame you for putting that thought in the back of your head. But if I had a 6 month gap before the cycle began, I might retake it considering it would give me more peace of mine if I had a 19 or 20. Out of curiosity, can you post your individual DAT scores?

PA 20, QR 16, RC 20, Bio 17, GC 19, OC 18
Total science: 18, AA: 18

PA 20, QR 16, RC 20, Bio 17, GC 19, OC 18
Total science: 18, AA: 18

I'm not sure how Texas feels about your QR, I believe they have statistics as a requirement(all 3 schools). Besides those schools, only Howard and Stony Brook require math classes higher than college algebra. I pushed back my exam multiple times and almost broke the bank just for QR alone, so I understand. Awesome RC, Bio is a bit low though. Doesn't one of the Texas schools look really heavy into biology credits?

But yeah, just work hard. I'd definitely get a good LOR in again to the school that interviewed me.

Last edited:
However expensive the DAT might be. It will be helluva cheaper than having to apply a 3rd time. If you didnt get accepted this cycle, I'd say it has something to do with your DAT or something else you didnt mention.

That being said, aside from the subpar DAT (the 17 Bio is a killer), you have a pretty solid application.

There is literally nothing more you can do this cycle. Aside from keeping them updated on your shadowing, ECs, and activities and hope you get an interview or an acceptance from that one tx school.

Taking the DAT again I would focus on the science sections, since those are usually the most valued sections. QR is pretty simple where you just memorize the type of questions and knock em out. From my experience, it's always the same types with different #s.

Apply and get accepted. I think you have proven that you are committed to being sucessful. Good luck

Hi!
DAT AA of 18
Plenty of volunteer hours (Meals on Wheels, Mission trips, etc.) and shadowing hours (gen dent, oral surgeon, pediatric, etc.)

What do I do now to improve my Fall 2015 application? What do I do now to stand out? What are my chances? etc.

I applied to all 3 Texas schools and have interviewed at 1 school. I have been emailing the schools about my improvements and hard work. I really want to start dental school next year vs. delay a year. Any advice? :help:

Hey there fellow Texan!
Wow great work with grad school!
However, I thought that you had to finish the masters before applying?

Wow, your app does look pretty good. Would still try to get that DAT up though..

Hi!
DAT AA of 18

Some schools will only look at the masters GPA if you completed the program. One semester doesn't say much. However, once completed you will be a bit better off. You may want to retake your DAT to make yourself a better applicant. I completed my masters, scored a 20TS/AA and so far have had 6 interview invites. Don't lose hope.

If I don't head anything back from the school I interviewed at it sounds like I will need to retake the DAT (unfortunately). And I will finish my master's program in May so I will start studying then. I plan to work hard and make a high GPA again this semester. With no acceptance, I will try to find a job working in a laboratory for next year. Working full time will allow me to focus on DAT studying at night/weekends. Thank you for all the advice everyone!