What Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iluvdentistry

Life is good
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I never thought I would be one of the hundreds, if not thousands, of people who ask what their chances are, but I'm curious about the next step I need to take and I need some general advice on what to do next.
I just took the DAT today. Didn't do as well as I hoped. Here is the breakdown

PAT: 17 :(
QR: 16 :( :( my two markers crapped out midway through and I had to get news ones. It totally flustered me and made me lose my momentum
RC: 19
Bio: 17
Chem: 19
O Chem: 18
TS: 18
AA: 18

So here's what I need advice on. First, my cGPA is right around 3.7 and sGPA is 3.5. I am wondering if it is crucial to take the DAT again. I think I am going to do it but I just wanted reaffirmation that it is the right thing to do.

Also, I only had 5 schools listed on ADA when I applied for DAT so now I'm wondering if I should send out the current scores to the rest of the schools or if I should just hold off until 90 days when I retake. I don't know if that would hold up my app from being processed or not (i want to submit the application within in the next two days) so I am wondering if I should just fork up the $ and do it. aaaah, I am so bummed out right now.:bang: I just wanted to be done with this damn test.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I never thought I would be one of the hundreds, if not thousands, of people who ask what their chances are, but I'm curious about the next step I need to take and I need some general advice on what to do next.

QR: 16 :( :( my two markers crapped out midway through and I had to get news ones. It totally flustered me and made me lose my momentum

So here's what I need advice on. First, my cGPA is right around 3.7 and sGPA is 3.5. I am wondering if it is crucial to take the DAT again. I think I am going to do it but I just wanted reaffirmation that it is the right thing to do.

Also, I only had 5 schools listed on ADA when I applied for DAT so now I'm wondering if I should send out the current scores to the rest of the schools or if I should just hold off until 90 days when I retake. I don't know if that would hold up my app from being processed or not (i want to submit the application within in the next two days) so I am wondering if I should just fork up the $ and do it. aaaah, I am so bummed out right now.:bang: I just wanted to be done with this damn test.

Your next test date would be end of September. I would apply now. Since your retake is in late September i believe by the time you get all your stuff done and good to go your application will be mailed out in mid October. Good luck

You should wait because I made the same mistake last cycle. I received rejection letters right away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just go ahead and apply this cycle if you have enough money. You will likely get rejected because of your low DAT scores (although you never know!).

Prepare for rejection, retake the DAT, and then apply again next cycle. It seems like schools like re-applicants because it shows that they are more dedicated than others who got rejected and just quit applying.

Again, you never know, you could get an interview and acceptance somewhere! You GPA is still very good! :thumbup::luck::xf:

Well doesn't it help to contact the school and tell them I plan to retake the test? I mean, I know the scores are low but with my GPA, e.c.'s + shadowing, I feel like it wouldn't mean automatic rejection for me. Beans, is this your first time applying or are you a re-applicant?

Well doesn't it help to contact the school and tell them I plan to retake the test? I mean, I know the scores are low but with my GPA, e.c.'s + shadowing, I feel like it wouldn't mean automatic rejection for me. Beans, is this your first time applying or are you a re-applicant?

I'm a first time applicant.

I know it may seem like I don't have much first hand experience in answering you question, but I know of several people that have been in your situation before. The advice that I gave is likely what I would do if I was in your situation.

If you indicate to the school that you plan to re-take, they may not review your application until your re-taken scores are actually reported to them.

Also, if you plan to report this, I think you must do it through ADA now. But don't quote me on this. It would be best to ask the school what the proper protocol is for notifying them that you plan to retake.

Your scores aren't that bad, they are just very close to the national average (if not a little below). People with your stats have gotten in before! Given your current stats, I would say an earlier application would bode a better outcome for you.

Keep positive attitude. You wont automatically be rejected unless if you apply to schools with a lot higher stats.

I say apply to all the schools on your list... No matter what. the worst thing that could happen is you lose couple hundred and a simple rejected letter. Its better to apply now early then get something like 19 or 20 then apply in October... It could be really late imo.

+ your scores do not seem to be bad.

I would also agree that a retake is the best option. But I'm curious, do you think that you may have rushed into taking the DAT early where a couple more weeks would have helped you?

Also, what were your study materials? Did you have the destroyer and what did you use for bio to study with?

In all, I think your scores are not that bad. If you applied with your score I think you would more than likely get an interview.

I would also agree that a retake is the best option. But I'm curious, do you think that you may have rushed into taking the DAT early where a couple more weeks would have helped you?

Also, what were your study materials? Did you have the destroyer and what did you use for bio to study with?

In all, I think your scores are not that bad. If you applied with your score I think you would more than likely get an interview.

Yeah, I think that I would have done better if I had a little more time to study. This past month has been a very difficult one for me for several different reasons and I think that I didn't put my whole heart into studying. I have the Kaplan online course and the books. I also have a Barron's book I need to get into. I am going to retake the test no matter what and let my schools know I'm doing that. If I can get an interview I'm very confident it will definitely increase my chance for acceptance. Thanks!