What options do I have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lostcause

Reaction score
HI I am a graduate of SJSM, i graduated in 2016.

I did bad on step 1 and below average on 2, I have no fails.

I have spent so much money on gaining clinical experience, working hard but have not been able to match while getting no interviews for the last 2 years. I am very devastated, I want to get medical license anywhere but am so lost.

UK - GMC -- Is very open to IMG but SJSM is not approved I have messaged, emailed school so many times no one gets back to you or picks up your phone calls 90% of the times.
Ireland - Without proper Internship I can do the exam but have no prospect at Jobs.
Canada - It is almost impossible to get residency here since they don't have enough spots for their own candidates, there are physician ready programs but since without internship we have no chance.

What can i do? or where can i go to get a medical license any advice at all?
really depressed and low at the moment any advice would help

Members don't see this ad.

Have you made an attempt to contact your school? What support did you receive from your school’s placement administration? Just curious.

Have you made an attempt to contact your school? What support did you receive from your school’s placement administration? Just curious.

not much of a support so far :/ alumnis are not usually after they dont care about us :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Your approach is going to vary based on some other things you didn't mention, such as visa status/citizenship, financial resources, constraints on moving around the country (family, kids?). I'm going to assume you are a US citizen, have some financial resources available, and don't have any issues with moving.

1. Make a list of all the programs in the country that have taken an SJSM graduate in the last 6-8 years. Keep this list organized. Don't exclude any options, even if they're in undesirable places. You have lost the luxury of being choosy.

2. Get in touch with as many of the programs as possible and seek out ways to get your face in front of the program directors. Don't be annoying or obnoxious about it. Seek out observerships, externships, or just volunteer your time as free labor for a research project (especially with residents.) If these institutions have a research point of contact, that is a good person to reach out to as well.

3. If you have any untapped friends/med school contacts that you can call in favors from, now is the time to do it.

4. Take Step 3 so that you can show PD's that you're serious, and that it's one less thing they would have to worry about if they accept you.

5. Seek out IMG/FMG-friendly programs that pre-match. There are not a lot of these, and they tend to be meh programs, but they will often be willing to take less-stellar applicants to secure their residents ahead of time, especially if you can show them that you're a hard worker and won't make waves.

6. Network whenever you can. If you go to any professional groups or conferences, talk to people. Let it be known that you're seeking a residency and that you're hungry. This is a low-yield option, but I know a few people that have managed to make it work.

7. Have somebody (or a few people ideally) review your personal statement, Match application, CV, etc before applying again. Sometimes there is some awkward language that can turn off PD's or reviewers and a simple rewording can make a difference. You need to bring something unique to the table to offset your scores and graduating institution.

8. Start thinking about backup plans. Be realistic. Your chances of Matching after 2 cycles is very low (I'm sure you know this already.) Get creative in finding alternatives. Missouri for example has "assistant physicians" that can practice family medicine without a residency under the supervision of a licensed physician. There may be other options also. Look for research and consulting jobs that will at least pay you a living wage.

Hope that is helpful. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users