What order should study guides be used?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snooper92

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard about DAT Achiever, Destroyer, Kaplan, etc...

What is the best sequence for using these? Should Achiever and Destroyer be completed as a simulated test under time constraints or as a problem workbook with no time pressure?

Is the online $1100 Kaplan course worth taking or is getting just the 2007-2008 review book sufficient?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard about DAT Achiever, Destroyer, Kaplan, etc...

What is the best sequence for using these? Should Achiever and Destroyer be completed as a simulated test under time constraints or as a problem workbook with no time pressure?

Is the online $1100 Kaplan course worth taking or is getting just the 2007-2008 review book sufficient?

IMO, no, you don't need the course. If you're not rich, don't waste your money. However, I have not taken the course, so take it with a grain of salt.

My sequence would be:

Use Kaplan blue book to get a good idea of all the topics. Know this well. It may be wise to get another book to supplement Kaplan Bio.

Use Destroyer to supplement your knowledge from Kaplan and see what topics you are not clear on. In my humble opinion, his explanation in the solutions to Destroyer are good, but your textbook will explain everything better, of course, so don't hesitate to look stuff up that you get wrong. Don't go through Destroyer like a timed test, but more like you'd go through Kaplan.

Use Achiever and Topscore to simulate timed conditions and get your timing down. But DO NOT use them to estimate your score. It varies sooo much from person to person, it seems, you will unnecessarily stress yourself.

Btw, I haven't used Topscore or Achiever yet, but this is my approach from countless hours reading these forums and using Destroyer and Kaplan.

IMO, no, you don't need the course. If you're not rich, don't waste your money. However, I have not taken the course, so take it with a grain of salt.

My sequence would be:

Use Kaplan blue book to get a good idea of all the topics. Know this well. It may be wise to get another book to supplement Kaplan Bio.

Use Destroyer to supplement your knowledge from Kaplan and see what topics you are not clear on. In my humble opinion, his explanation in the solutions to Destroyer are good, but your textbook will explain everything better, of course, so don't hesitate to look stuff up that you get wrong. Don't go through Destroyer like a timed test, but more like you'd go through Kaplan.

Use Achiever and Topscore to simulate timed conditions and get your timing down. But DO NOT use them to estimate your score. It varies sooo much from person to person, it seems, you will unnecessarily stress yourself.

Btw, I haven't used Topscore or Achiever yet, but this is my approach from countless hours reading these forums and using Destroyer and Kaplan.

that is what i did as well...except that i took topscore while doing destroyer just to get use to the time limit. After I was done studying everything I reviewed topscore & destroyer again and took achiever tests.

Thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate it.

Have either of you tried out the Crack the PAT DAT? Or heard anything about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate it.

Have either of you tried out the Crack the PAT DAT? Or heard anything about it?
yea I bought it... its pretty good. I cant compare it to real DAT because I havent taken it yet...but I am sure it will well prepare you.

Ms Tooth Lady,

What version of Crack the PAT DAT did you get?

If you get a lower edition, can you upgrade to a higher edition by paying the difference?

Ms Tooth Lady,

What version of Crack the PAT DAT did you get?

If you get a lower edition, can you upgrade to a higher edition by paying the difference?
I dont know that is something that you gonna have to e-mail them .I bought the Ace edition