pbmason

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Status
I am looking to take some post-bac classes but was wondering what are the best ones to take? Here are some of the ones offered that I would be able to take, but which ones will schools look highly on more than others? Thanks.

ANIMAL BEHAVIOR
PREMEDICAL PROF SEMINAR
CELL BIOLOGY
ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY
VERTEBRATE ZOOLOGY
PREMEDICAL EXTERNSHIP
MODES OF BIOLOGICAL THOUGHT
PLANT PHYSIOLOGY

Tripas

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
i took cell biology as an undergrad it is actually required for my major...not bad

but i signed up for plant physiology ...dropped after a weekd and a half...HARDEST CLASS i have ever taken..but think its becasue my proffesor is a plant genetics research PhD or something to that nature...very difficult course i thought

OP
P

pbmason

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Status
Thanks, any others with some input?

About the Ads
OP
P

pbmason

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Status
When doing post-bac, should I take a full load or be a full time student with 12 credits and such or is only taking 7-9 credits ok? Anybody doing any post-bac work that can give me some ideas? thanks

I-Baby

Scared Straight
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2005
The Bay, CA
Status
Pre-Dental
Tripas said:
i took cell biology as an undergrad it is actually required for my major...not bad

but i signed up for plant physiology ...dropped after a weekd and a half...HARDEST CLASS i have ever taken..but think its becasue my proffesor is a plant genetics research PhD or something to that nature...very difficult course i thought
I'm taking it now to fulfill my plant bio requirement for my major and let me just say there's a reason why I decided to wait so long to take it :( :D

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2003
San Antonio
www.uthscsa.edu
Status
Dentist
pbmason said:
When doing post-bac, should I take a full load or be a full time student with 12 credits and such or is only taking 7-9 credits ok? Anybody doing any post-bac work that can give me some ideas? thanks
Take a full load whenever you are able to. Not only does it show you are able to handle a difficult academic schedule but it also makes you available for certain awards such as dean's list.

Mack

earthcap

Interview!
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2006
Status
Dental Student
pbmason said:
I am looking to take some post-bac classes but was wondering what are the best ones to take? Here are some of the ones offered that I would be able to take, but which ones will schools look highly on more than others? Thanks.

ANIMAL BEHAVIOR
PREMEDICAL PROF SEMINAR
CELL BIOLOGY
ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY
VERTEBRATE ZOOLOGY
PREMEDICAL EXTERNSHIP
PLANT PHYSIOLOGY
I would recommend cell bio, vert zoo., and animal physiology

Duysal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
pbmason said:

ANIMAL BEHAVIOR
PREMEDICAL PROF SEMINAR
CELL BIOLOGY
ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY
VERTEBRATE ZOOLOGY
PREMEDICAL EXTERNSHIP
PLANT PHYSIOLOGY
Hello,

I am a post-bac right now, and I have learned that it is best to take a mixture of sciences that look good and also general subjects (sci and non-sci)that you enjoy. For example, you could take human anatomy and physiology with sculpture, or histology with drawing. It helps YOU to have a balance so you are motivated by things that come easily to you while remaining "in the game" for the more difficult classes, and it helps the dental schools see that you are a balanced person with a wide variety of academic interests beyond the pre-reqs all dental schools share. Loading up on sciences that bore you may not be the only route....you have to have fun when you venture back to school, too!

Doing post-bac is the most fun I've had in years. The stresses of being a full-time student with a degree looming over my head have melted away; all I focus on is what I'm learning and how I can apply it to my life. It is a really great experience! Good luck!

Some other classes to consider:

English: expository or creative writing
Biology: micobiology, genetics, medical ethics
Psychology: abnormal behavior
Misc. Humanities: marketing, journalism, finance, business-related stuff
Art: drawing, sculpting, ceramics, painting
Music: piano

About the Ads