What questions should I be prepared to answer during my psychiatry residency interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulleface87

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

"Tell me about yourself"
"Why psychiatry?"
"Why do you want to come to (insert place here)?"

Reactions: 1 user
Rather pithy question by the OP. If deleted, why the "." if thrown out of this forum, why the "."?

The right answer is just be yourself. Canned responses to trite questions are not fun nor revealing to either side.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rather pithy question by the OP. If deleted, why the "." if thrown out of this forum, why the "."?

The right answer is just be yourself. Canned responses to trite questions are not fun nor revealing to either side.
yeah im not sure why my post was changed

Another question would be why do you want to prepare for all the possible questions instead of knowing yourself well enough to be able to answer whatever questions you're asked?

True but if this is this case then who asked the trite question in the first place?

OP, I would recommend preparing responses to 5-10 of the most common interview questions and practicing. And what I mean by preparing responses is not writing out your answer and memorizing it, but maybe noting 2-4 bullet points you want to cover in your response that highlight strengths of your application, then practicing with a partner or in front of a mirror until it's natural. I know for me if I don't practice these responses then I have a tendency to give an over-thorough response that is a bit unclear rather than something that is succinct and conveys the narrative that I want to convey. I find that how this goes is that most often my interviewer and I will find a point of deeper discussion that we kind of go "off book" about (ie interviewer stops asking their prepared questions and I stop giving my prepared responses).

Other common interview questions:
What are your strengths/weaknesses?
Tell me about a challenge in your life.
Tell me about a particularly challenging (or memorable) patient.
Tell me about your research.
What questions do you have for me?

Reactions: 2 users
True but if this is this case then who asked the trite question in the first place?

OP, I would recommend preparing responses to 5-10 of the most common interview questions and practicing. And what I mean by preparing responses is not writing out your answer and memorizing it, but maybe noting 2-4 bullet points you want to cover in your response that highlight strengths of your application, then practicing with a partner or in front of a mirror until it's natural. I know for me if I don't practice these responses then I have a tendency to give an over-thorough response that is a bit unclear rather than something that is succinct and conveys the narrative that I want to convey. I find that how this goes is that most often my interviewer and I will find a point of deeper discussion that we kind of go "off book" about (ie interviewer stops asking their prepared questions and I stop giving my prepared responses).

Other common interview questions:
What are your strengths/weaknesses?
Tell me about a challenge in your life.
Tell me about a particularly challenging (or memorable) patient.
Tell me about your research.
What questions do you have for me?
Great points. I was initially a bit surprised I was asked such common interview questions like what is your greatest weakness (I think it's an absurd interview question but it was moderately common).

I definitely recommend having a few memorable patient encounters that you can detail and I actually think that it's an appropriate/good question to ask.

I would also have questions to ask about each institution that makes it appear you care about the area/institution itself. Everyone wants to the place they live/work to be valued but this needs to be done in a genuine and non-brownnosing way.

Reactions: 1 users