Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a pharmacist in a medium size community hospital ED (60k visits a year). We have staffed 24/7 in the ED for about 7 years. Sometimes I feel like we are in a total rut and spend most of our time verifying stupid easy one time pain med/nausea/fluid bolus orders that even a monkey could do. Now that being said ED MGMT always raves that we are up there, we do do a lot of RN education and preventing their mistakes.
I think some of our most valuable service is simply expediting drugs during codes/critical care patients, helping the RN's titrate drips. Those are the times I feel I actually add to care. Also I help with a lot of toxicology stuff. We have pharm tecs do med histories. We used to d a lot of coumadin education for new diagnosis DVT's, but that has really dropped off now that Xarelto is most commonly used (For us)
From an ED provider's view point, where do you see us being valuable? Where do you see us helping to add to paient care/make your life better?
I think some of our most valuable service is simply expediting drugs during codes/critical care patients, helping the RN's titrate drips. Those are the times I feel I actually add to care. Also I help with a lot of toxicology stuff. We have pharm tecs do med histories. We used to d a lot of coumadin education for new diagnosis DVT's, but that has really dropped off now that Xarelto is most commonly used (For us)
From an ED provider's view point, where do you see us being valuable? Where do you see us helping to add to paient care/make your life better?