What Scheduling/Billing/Practice Management Software Do You Use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
We are in the beginning process of looking for a new Practice Management Software. We are a multi-site program, with 1/2 dozen or so clinicians (psychologists and speech therapists) with a primary focus on neurodevelopmental/psychological evaluations (little-to-know psychotherapy services; some speech treatment). We need a system for scheduling, billing, and tracking employee time and productivity, with EHR capabilities. Our current system is just OK- It was designed primarily for home-based ABA services

What are you guys using?

Members don't see this ad.

EPIC, as part of an AMC. Nice plus - can message providers from otehr practices that also use EPIC (outside of our AMC)

I'd have to imagine that EPIC would be prohibitively expensive and have way too many unnecessary functions for as small of a practice as ABA is talking about.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Worked in a small clinic a while ago that used practice fusion. I didn't work with it much, but I didn't hear too many complaints from those who were using it more extensively. At the time, it's EHR services (or at least some/most of them) were free.

edit: Did a little bit of a deeper dive and found out that practice fusion is no longer free -- I did find this link though with some other free/low cost options though: 7 Practice Fusion Alternatives Now That You Have to Pay for Your EHR - TechnologyAdvice

Last edited:
I'd have to imagine that EPIC would be prohibitively expensive and have way too many unnecessary functions for as small of a practice as ABA is talking about.

Large hospital systems will often spend hundreds of thousands to millions on Epic, but they do also offer smaller-scale versions (and I think now even some cloud-based ones?) at an immensely lower price point. Whether that system is good or not I couldn't tell you. I despise the version our hospital system uses. The UI appears to have been designed by a committee of chimps with a methamphetamine addiction.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Large hospital systems will often spend hundreds of thousands to millions on Epic, but they do also offer smaller-scale versions (and I think now even some cloud-based ones?) at an immensely lower price point. Whether that system is good or not I couldn't tell you. I despise the version our hospital system uses. The UI appears to have been designed by a committee of chimps with a methamphetamine addiction.

You just have to remember that EPICs primary purpose is billing. Patient care comes in a far second.

I might be in the minority here, but I like Epic. I really like Epic now that I've built up a library of smartphrases and have Dragon Medical for dictation. I can be efficient but still produce detailed, meaningful documentation.

I wasn't aware that Epic had entered the small practice market. Interesting.

If emrs were condiments
:

1) epic. It’s the mayonnaise of emrs. It works. No one is thrilled about it. But it’s nice in the background.

2) practice fusion: it’s the ketchup of emrs. Got some stuff that’s good, doesn’t go with everything. No one is impressed.

3) free stuff: it’s the mustard of emrs. Goes with somethings; not others. Usually there’s a trade off.

4) med valant: the Worcestershire sauce of emrs.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I think Epic is great once you get the hang of it, for the reasons Mama Phd mentioned. I use Simple Practice for my private practice and I find it very easy to use as an EHR. I don't do billing through SP so I can't speak to that.

Reactions: 1 user
What innovative features or functionalities does your scheduling/billing/practice management software offer that have significantly improved your workflow or efficiency compared to traditional solutions?
I have no idea what you mean. If you're a physician, your efficiency should be fine. If you're a software developer, my consultation rates start around $500/hr.

Reactions: 1 users
A small clinic where I did a practicum used OWL Practice - you can get a demo version to test out to see if it matches your needs, and it can be scaled up or down depending on number of users. It's not amazing, but does most basic things well. I've also heard good things about Jane - I think it's more expensive per user, but seems to have more functions.

We are in the process of transitioning to JANE at my practice. I mainly wanted it for paperwork, storage, and scheduling. I have a billing company and don't take insurance, so I can't really speak to that side of things.

I use Simple Practice. One downside to it is if you do any telehealth visits to patients in other time zones, it will only send appointment reminders written in the time zone in which the practice is located (I.e., there is no setting to specify what time zone to use for reminders based on patient location). A feature I like is you can set Simple Practice to automatically generate superbills for all patients on a recurring date (e.g., I have mine set to generate superbills on the 1st for the previous month’s visits).

We use Therapy Notes. We are an assessment based pratice (Neuro / Psych). It allows you to schedule, notes, billing. The cost is reasonable. $59 / month first clinician, $30/ month each additional clinician, admin staff free. There are some add on features (e.g., reminder texts / emails) which don't cost a lot and are worthwhile. There is a feature which allows for billing credit cards within the system. Easy to use.