Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

what schools accept tx residents

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by bxs023100, May 13, 2007.

1. bxs023100

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hi
    i was just wondering if any of you know of any schools that do not accept tx residents at all, or a school were my chances of acceptance as a tx resident arent too high

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. crazy_sherm

crazy_sherm å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    In general, any public school in which you are not a resident of the state will be harder to get into. The exception to this rule is when your home state doesn't have any public dental schools, then there may be a special relationship or program with the public schools in neighboring states. On the otherhand, private schools won't care where you are applying from. Your best bet is to apply to all the Texas schools and then some private schools in the country you'd be interested in.

4. TexDDS

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It's no secret that Texans are black-balled at some schools.

There have been a few pre-dents from my area of the state that have had success getting into BU and NYU.

One thing you may consider doing if you absolutely have to go out of state is to do undergrad at a university that feeds into an out of state dental school.

Of course I have no idea why you would want to go out of state for dental school. We have three of the best schools in the country right in our own backyard.

5. bxs023100

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    of course we do. if i had my choice, i would choose UT houston. But, i may not be lucky enough to have my choice. so i wanted to see what my best chances were out of state

6. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    If you check out the 2007 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools or at www.adea.org/Resources/Og/Og_3_WhereToApply.pdf. you should find the info you are looking for.

7. purplesquintz

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I say go out and try dammit. I'm applying to d schools in Chicago and San Francisco! Texans aren't really blackballed per se but kinda looked at by the people picking the students as "why leave texas" kind of thing. Go out and try and let the forum know you got in or not... be inspirational