What schools best for what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davao4444

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i've been trying to look around the forums and thought this would be a helpful topic for people researching schools.
So which schools are better clinically or research wise?
in particular im looking for good clinical schools. ive heard detroit mercy and nyu are pretty good clinical schools. anyone know is arizona (adsoh) is good clinically? i know they have new facilities and such.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard great things about Temple's clinical program. Temple's great clinical reputation is the only reason that I am considering Temple.

I've also heard that Harvard is very research oriented.

I think most schools are pretty balanced between the research and clinical experiences that they offer their dental students.

Hope this helps!

VCU is the only school I know about but they have been 'ranked' the highest by those conducting the clinical aspect of the southern regional exam for being competent practitioners. they have a program they started with our class too where they get people into clinics in their 1st year. We have seen 3 patients already (2 for perio where we used local anesthetic too, 1 for a general checkup).

VCU is also big on research and a building to be completed next summer will house new clinics and research facilities along with bringing researchers over from the cancer center. Should be big news! Great experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
UF is mainly research oriented. They have rotations starting D1, but on their homepage > Research- it clearly states:

The UF College of Dentistry is part of a major research-intensive university; thus, research is an important component of our mission.

http://www.dental.ufl.edu/research/

Hey i've been trying to look around the forums and thought this would be a helpful topic for people researching schools.
So which schools are better clinically or research wise?
in particular im looking for good clinical schools. ive heard detroit mercy and nyu are pretty good clinical schools. anyone know is arizona (adsoh) is good clinically? i know they have new facilities and such.

Temple is a top notch clinical school. It's clinic services around 300,000 patients per year - we have very high clinical requirements here as well. At research/academic schools, they pass interesting/complicated cases on to residents or there are just not enough patients to go around for certain procedures. Just the other day I heard a D3 talking about a patient he had where he removed a large palatal tori. That is something I have only seen in the Oral surgery residents clinic back when I was at UF.

Can't go wrong with schools like Case, Temple, Detroit, ect