What schools have dismal OOS acceptance rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says all.

Members don't see this ad.

+1

I've been trying to find out about that myself. From what I hear, OSU, MSU, PNWU all have strong regional, if not, just IS bias. Most others have regional bias but aren't as strickt. But since most others are private, they have little preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard TCOM takes 90% in state, which is unfortunate because I'm OOS but would love to go to TCOM

The above document actually shows 92% of first-year students at TCOM are Texas residents.

(However, only 61% of first-year DO students who are Texas residents are at TCOM, meaning 39% attend out-of-state DO schools).

just from my app experience Oklahoma State. I got into every private school I applied to and got no love from them as an out of state person with strong family ties to the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the link provided, there are a handful with in-state biases. Plenty of other schools to apply to. It seems PCOM has a regional bias, but not an in-state bias.

TCOM
OSU-CHS
UMDNJ
MSU

Also, most schools have at least a tiny bit of regional preference.

Look at the mission statements of the school, if it mentions specific regional (geographic) location, there is bias.

UNECOM, but for New England residents.

It is possible to break into UNE, with high stats I think. I am from the southwest, with 0 ties to New England and was able to get accepted.

Although I agree, huge preference for New England'ers and the rest are mostly mid-Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA)

All of them

That's not true. Take a look at LECOM. They accept way more people from OOS than they do from IS, and their classes are comprised of people from all over.

According to the link provided, there are a handful with in-state biases. Plenty of other schools to apply to. It seems PCOM has a regional bias, but not an in-state bias.

Some of that may be a sampling bias, because the eastern PA/NY/northern NJ area have some of the largest numbers of applicants to medical schools in the country (up there with CA).

It is possible to break into UNE, with high stats I think. I am from the southwest, with 0 ties to New England and was able to get accepted.

Although I agree, huge preference for New England'ers and the rest are mostly mid-Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA)

I'm pretty sure you could break into any regionally bias schools with high enough stats. That's usually how the OOS people get into them.

AZCOM has 80% OOS acceptance rate. But I think it's misleading since they have regional bias meaning if you're not from CA, Nevada or Utah you chances go down a lot

AZCOM has 80% OOS acceptance rate. But I think it's misleading since they have regional bias meaning if you're not from CA, Nevada or Utah you chances go down a lot

Don't you think they probably get more apps from those states than from other regions? I don't think they are biased against people from other regions. They just get more apps from AZ and neighboring states.