Medical What schools should I plan to apply to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm planning to apply in the next cycle and am starting to work on making my school list. I'm hoping to find a school that is challenging and academically focused (although I know that probably describes any med school), but without a "cut throat" culture among students. I'm thinking that I will most likely want to go into primary care, potentially with a dual MD/MPH, so I'd love somewhere with a focus on community engagement, health disparities, etc. My home school is OHSU, but I would prefer not to be at home if possible. If you have any feedback/ideas I'd really appreciate it! Here's some info about me:

School: top 25 LAC
Majors: bio, anthro, and public health
GPA: 3.95 (science GPA 3.89)
MCAT: haven't taken it yet, but based on diagnostics I'm on track to score above 520 assuming things go okay
Shadowing: ~50 hours outpatient oncology, ~75 hours inpatient infectious disease (hoping to do more)
Clinical volunteering: Medical interpreter at least 4 hours weekly at several different free clinics throughout undergrad, screening incoming medicare/medicaid patients for social needs at a local ED
Non-clinical volunteering: ESL tutor for campus staff, college-prep mentor at a program for latino hs students
Research: started sophomore fall in a lab studying zebrafish nervous system development, have presented one poster so far, hope to present one more this year. 2nd author publication on my public health research at Brigham.
Summer 1: health promotion intern at women's shelter in Chile
Summer 2: research intern with division of global health equity at brigham and women's, also traveled to Peru with brigham/partners in health team and will have a 2nd author publication from my work
Summer 3: organized and ran a COVID testing site for a free clinic where I usually work as an interpreter, also worked on capacity-building for the medical interpreter program
Not a URM

And here are schools I'm thinking about: (I know the top few are crazy reaches, so any advice about which to prioritize trying would be helpful!)

Harvard
Hopkins
Penn
NYU
Stanford
Columbia
UCLA
UCSF
Wash U
Cornell
Duke
UW
Pitt
U Mich
Yale
U Chicago
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Mount Sinai
Case
Emory
U Wisconsin
BU
UVA
U Rochester
Brown
Einstein
Georgetown
Dartmouth
Waste of time without an MCAT score. Once you have a score, we'll be happy to advise.

Members don't see this ad.

How many total hours of clinical volunteering have you done? This description is too vague or I'm not getting it.
Sorry for the lack of detail- I've done ~300 hours as a medical interpreter, plus 75 in the ED screening for social needs and 50 running COVID testing. My non-clinical volunteering adds up to ~200 hours between tutoring and mentoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.