What schools tell you anything useful if you call for a status check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mugatu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools tell you anything useful if you call for a status check? "Your application is complete" or "Your application is under review" doesn't tell me anything I don't already know.

Members don't see this ad.

nice name
most med peopel don't tell you anytihng further - the only way i have found to extract info is if you are going to be in time and asking if they could arrange an interveiw for logistics sake.

when i e-mailed to see if my app was complete uvm told me i'd receive a letter from them in the mail shortly, and i received one within a week. i don't know how useful that is, but it's more useful than anything any other school told me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane was pretty helpful-- they told me I am "on hold" when I called there.

Wake Forest is good at telling you which interview pool you are in (1st, 2nd, or 3rd?).

Has anyone had luck calling Cornell?

yea tulane told me that they were sending me a letter for an interview...thought that was nice of them haha

Vanderbilt will tell you the date your application is going before the committee. They then mail the letters that evening. They won't tell you the decision over the phone though. But you know the date that your result letter went into the mail, that seemed pretty helpful to me. (Though I got waitlisted)

albany told me that they rejected me. :(

:sigh: pre-meds will take any excuse to make yet another list ;)

of course, I'm pre-med too, and so I too love lists....I just don't have anything relevant to add!

I read on a different thread that if you call loyola and ask for your "review status," they will give you somewhat helpful information besides "your application is complete."

thats true about loyola. they told me that my file was reviewed and placed on hold until a second review in january.

I have the urge to call Cornell b/c I havent heard from then since August 9th (they emailed me saying that my application was comlete)....but Im afraid they may look down at my application for calling about my status?? what should I do....

one more...Does anyone know if Rochester gives decent info? I interviewed with them extremely early and havent heard a word from them.....

Sorry that I didnt add anything to the list

nope, rochester doesn't give decent info.

i interviewed in early october and asked when i should be receiving a decision. the admissions office worker just told me that the turnaround time really varies and that she couldn't say for sure.

although rochester (during the interview day) said their turnaround time is 6-8 weeks... =P

I placed 3 calls to admissions offices today: to Penn, NYU, and Harvard, all of which my app has been complete since mid-August and I have heard nothing except that my app is complete.

Here is what I was told over the phone:

Penn: (didn't ask for my info so gave me a generic answer based on my situation)
-Told me that within a week of your app being designated complete it enters a review committee. If you are not chosen for an interview immediately, your app enters a series of competitive screenings, which could take up until January.
-Bottom line: somewhat helpful, but I may have to keep waiting until Jan. ARRGHHH.

NYU: (Asked for my SSN)
-Told me my app has been reviewed once and no interview decision was made
-Told me my app will be reviewed again in January: ARRGHHH.

Harvard: (asked for my AAMC #)
-First go through an automated voicemail system telling you that interview invites go out on a continuing basis until mid-January
-When I spoke to a live person, I was only told that my app was complete and "that is the only information we can give out by request." (

Hope this info is helpful. I was hesitant to call and waited a long time before doing so (as is evidenced by the fact that my apps have been complete since mid-Aiugust at these schools), but am not sure that I learned a whole lot from placing these calls except that I need to keep waiting. I almost feel like rejections would have been preferable as they would provide some sort of closure.:(

I concur with my experiences with other posters on some schools that most people haven't interviewed at yet (I don't think)

1) Penn-they never respond to emails, but they give good info over the phone. I learned that my application was in the second round of screening and should be back the day after I called. (I'm leaving the country for 3 months starting Jan 1, so I'm a bit paranoid about getting my few interviews left in).

2) Michigan is helpful, but don't bother them too much because they are REALLY fast at getting stuff to you, so it isn't like your application is sitting around somewhere idle. Their website should tell you everything you need to know.