What schools will look past a low mcat score if you have a good gpa/ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoblast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.7 cGPA and around a 3.4/3.5 sGPA
Will have around 200 clinical volunteering hours in a major teaching hospital by the time I apply
Not sure of the exact number, but at least 150 hours of other volunteering
Internship at a family services facility for underserved people
A couple semesters of research
Good LORs (one from a DO)
Founder and president of my school's men's club volleyball team
Active member of a preprofessional medical club
~40-60 hours of shadowing (DO and MD)

I haven't gotten my MCAT score back just yet, but I don't have a great feeling about it. I'm applying next summer. I know how you feel doesn't represent how well you really did for the mcat, but I was just curious to see what schools will look past an MCAT on the lower spectrum if the gpa is higher than average.

My average for aamcs was a 26. However, I felt terrible after the july 24 mcat (brutal PS and tough VR). If I were to get a score of like 24 or 25 would I still have a shot? I would really love to get into MSUCOM (home state), NSUCOM, or PCOM. I know a 26 mcat score is a stretch already, but I want to go into primary care and know I can do well in med school. If I don't get into my top desired schools but get in anywhere else, I would still be happy.

With that being said, does anyone know of any schools that tend to overlook a low mcat for applicants with other good stats? I've heard VCOM does... I hope I somehow got a 26 or 27 on the MCAT though, so we'll see!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you plan on retaking if you get a 24/25?

Will have around 200 clinical volunteering hours in a major teaching hospital by the time I apply
Founder and president of one of my school's men's club volleyball team

I haven't gotten my MCAT score back just yet, but I don't have a great feeling about it. I'm applying next summer. I know how you feel doesn't represent how well you really did for the mcat, but I was just curious to see what schools will look past an MCAT on the lower spectrum if the gpa is higher than average.

My average for aamcs was a 26. However, I felt terrible after the july 24 mcat (brutal PS and tough VR). If I were to get a score of like 24 or 25 would I still have a shot? I would really love to get into MSUCOM (home state), NSUCOM, or PCOM. I know a 26 mcat score is a stretch already, but I want to go into primary care and know I can do well in med school. If I don't get into my top desired schools but get in anywhere else, I would still be happy.

With that being said, does anyone know of any schools that tend to overlook a low mcat for applicants with other good stats? I've heard VCOM does... I hope I somehow got a 26 or 27 on the MCAT though, so we'll see!

Thanks!!

Generally newer schools will look past a lower MCAT. So schools like vcom PCOM ga touro nv/Middletown mucom lucom lmu and such.

This all depends on your actual score but if you hit ur aamc average (26) I think you might have a shot at msu/NSU/PCOM. If you get 2 points higher then that you're looking good for those schools. The lower your score is the more schools you should apply to

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you plan on retaking if you get a 24/25?

I think I will retake if it's a 24. I'm not sure about a 25 because I'm not sure how much higher I can get that score up while being busy with classes, volunteering, research, etc. It's unfortunate that the exam is changing next summer and I will not be able to retake it then. My only options are score decently enough to get in somewhere now or retake in October or January. :(

Generally newer schools will look past a lower MCAT. So schools like vcom PCOM ga touro nv/Middletown mucom lucom lmu and such.

This all depends on your actual score but if you hit ur aamc average (26) I think you might have a shot at msu/NSU/PCOM. If you get 2 points higher then that you're looking good for those schools. The lower your score is the more schools you should apply to

Thank you. I already plan on applying broadly to maximize my chances. I'm just feeling the pinch of not having many retake options when it comes to the mcat. I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst! So do you think a 24/25 might give me a decent chance at the newer schools? I also forgot to mention I've been an active member of a preprofessional medical society club for 3 years.

I think I will retake if it's a 24. I'm not sure about a 25 because I'm not sure how much higher I can get that score up while being busy with classes, volunteering, research, etc. It's unfortunate that the exam is changing next summer and I will not be able to retake it then. My only options are score decently enough to get in somewhere now or retake in October or January. :(

Thank you. I already plan on applying broadly to maximize my chances. I'm just feeling the pinch of not having many retake options when it comes to the mcat. I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst! So do you think a 24/25 might give me a decent chance at the newer schools? I also forgot to mention I've been an active member of a preprofessional medical society club for 3 years.

IMO 24 is sketch but you should get one. 25 I think you are much safer in getting one but its going to be a rough cycle.

Everyone feels terrible coming out of the test. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Everyone feels terrible coming out of the test. Don't get ahead of yourself.
I know that feeling. I did 10 points better than what I expected. To be fair I didn't expect much though. I did a lot of guessing and made so many boneheaded mistakes. I also didn't even read two verbal passages since I ran out of time.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a lot of work and research experience, but I got an interview invite to LECOM-SH last cycle when my MCAT was still a 25 (I did retake before the interview) with a 3.75 GPA. It can happen.

I have ii's to KCUMB and KCOM with a 24 (even). Don't let it slow you down.

Reactions: 1 user

You need to make time for the MCAT, it's one of the most important things in your application, especially if you want the school of your choice. Make time for it. Maybe sacrifice a few weeks of volunteering and instead use that time to study. Your volunteering hours are strong so it won't hurt you too much. In fact your entire app is strong. But if you do end up with a 25 or less, I would retake if you want to get into PCOM or NSU.

I don't think it is as simple as saying a 3.7 requires at least a 26 MCAT to be competitive. How difficult was your institution? What was your major? How many fluff courses did you take? I think an admissions committee normally weighs all of these things to predict how you would do in medical school. If you did great in upper level science courses and did poorly on an MCAT they might still be willing to take a chance on you. But if you did poorly in upper level sciences courses and also did poorly on the MCAT, then it's probably going to be a long-shot.

Thanks!!
Just for a boost of confidence, the section that I felt that I did horrible in on the actual MCAT (like I felt like my PS section DESTROYED me), I got the same score as my practice tests. Then the sections I thought I killed, I did about the same as well. They curve everyone together, so if you think it is outrageously hard (and you studied well), there is a big chance that most people thought it was hard. Not saying you are going to walk away with a 32 or something haha, but your score will likely be your average AAMC, regardless of how you felt about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the replies and insight. I guess I won't really know until I get my score back. It's only been one week since I took the mcat and it feels like it's been forever! So anxious. I will post an update on Aug. 26 when I get the score back.

Thanks!!

I would also retake it if I got below a 26 to be perfectly honest. Had a few friends who applied as AAs with 24/25s and had trouble getting in as a minority.
Also, I've been hearing from plenty of friends IRL that the PS has been brutal for the most part this whole summer.